Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum: Bison Football or UND Hockey

Default Re: Forum: Bison Football or UND Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    NBC ND is what is best for Bison football it is in every home in ND, west central MN and probably small parts of a few others states. Doesn't matter if you have cable, dish or a freaking antenna you get the game. If we want to be the team of the region we need to be on a channel basically everyone gets.

The best deal is NBC ND and a satellite channel(like Fox College Sports or Comcast).

My major issue is that our conferences have horrendous TV deals, in my opinion both commissioners should be told to find better TV deals or start looking for new jobs. That MVFC deal is just a complete embarrassment compared to what other FCS conferences have.
    The MVFC has a horrible TV deal, that's for sure.

But what's even worse - I do not think the Summit League even has any kind of TV deal. There is also no deal in the Summit for web streaming games. Even the Big Sky and Horizon have comprehensive web-streaming agreements. Other than ESPN2 guaranteeing to televise the mens basketball championship every year, what is there??

The Summit League may in fact be the worst Division I conference when it comes to contracts with broadcasting games, whether on TV, webcast, transmitting through people's dreams using gamma-rays, etc.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    The MVFC has a horrible TV deal, that's for sure.

But what's even worse - I do not think the Summit League even has any kind of TV deal. There is also no deal in the Summit for web streaming games. Even the Big Sky and Horizon have comprehensive web-streaming agreements. Other than ESPN2 guaranteeing to televise the mens basketball championship every year, what is there??

The Summit League may in fact be the worst Division I conference when it comes to contracts with broadcasting games, whether on TV, webcast, transmitting through people's dreams using gamma-rays, etc.
    Yeah outside of the ESPN2 game, the partnership with Midco is only other thing and that is also just for the basketball tournament.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Same credits the NDSU FBers get for "attending" Chub's or The Turf.
    Wait a minute, students go to Chub's?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Not really since a school could add women's hockey as well. The voters of Fargo pretty much decided years ago what they think of a potential UND hockey team when they voted down a Fargodome expansion for a hockey arena overwhelmingly.
    I have asked Gene many times and he always says it budget issues and then title IX..

Quote Originally Posted by scbison91 View Post
    I have asked Gene many times and he always says it budget issues and then title IX..
    Correct. Title IX definitely is an issue. Even if women's hockey were added. Compliance is more than just equal scholarships. It includes all costs. Coaching salaries and recruiting budgets in the men's side are higher.

JustinTyem is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

During the 12 year span McFeely references UND has:

- lost the national championship game in overtime (2001)
    - lost the national championship game in 2004
    - been in the national semi-finals (Frozen Four) four other times (2005, 2006, 2007, 2011)

If UND hadn't been on the radar during those 12 years, sure McFeely, make noise.
    However, over the last 12 years, the road to a title goes through UND more often than not.

You sound like a buddy of mine on the golf course. "If that drive was a little straighter, it would have been perfect," If I hit that putt just a bit harder, it would have dropped." Yeah, we know, but the truth of the matter is, he didn't hit the drive straighter and he didn't hit the putt hard enough and you haven't won a title in 12 years. I hope all those teams were awarded a participation ribbon at least. That thinking reminds me of the MN Twins apologists out there raving about division titles.

Road to a title through gf? Here are the actual roads that lead to a title, since hak must be reading his map upside down
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Quote Originally Posted by EPBison View Post
    You sound like a buddy of mine on the golf course. "If that drive was a little straighter, it would have been perfect," If I hit that putt just a bit harder, it would have dropped." Yeah, we know, but the truth of the matter is, he didn't hit the drive straighter and he didn't hit the putt hard enough and you haven't won a title in 12 years. I hope all those teams were awarded a participation ribbon at least. That thinking reminds me of the MN Twins apologists out there raving about division titles.

Road to a title through gf? Here are the actual roads that lead to a title, since hak must be reading his map upside down
    UND Hockey: Moral Victory Champions 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

During the 12 year span McFeely references UND has:

- lost the national championship game in overtime (2001)
    - lost the national championship game in 2004
    - been in the national semi-finals (Frozen Four) four other times (2005, 2006, 2007, 2011)

If UND hadn't been on the radar during those 12 years, sure McFeely, make noise.
    However, over the last 12 years, the road to a title goes through UND more often than not.
    Correction, it goes through UND about 50% of the time.... and by through I mean completely through and leaves a nice clean hole.... 2001 was more of a gut shot than a clean wound for sure and 2004 was a pretty serious exit wound as well.

I don't watch a lot of hockey now, but when I did in the 90's I watched UND hockey (I had family playing for them)

With today's announcement out of UND, I think we might be seeing the real reason for this survey/article: informal data collection. Follow along with me...

Several years ago, which university's media contract to go after was a no-brainer for ForumComm(FCC). They had a newspaper, radio station and TV station in Fargo and only a TV station in Grand Forks. Then several things began to change. The purchase of the GF Herald gave FCC a print stake in GF. Then came the initial contract fiasco. NDSU decided to split the media rights and FCC didn't even bother to submit separate bids. FCC ended up losing the TV rights to Hoak. Then came the president's house cluster-f. Remember that the $1 million that was supposed to pay for the whole thing came from Marcil Sr.(owner of FCC). Those two events pissed him the hell off and severely damaged the relationship between FCC and NDSU. The end result was FCC going after UND's radio contract instead of NDSU's. Now the split was complete.

But let's advance a few years. Chapman is gone. Marcil Sr. has handed over control of FCC to his son, Marcil Jr. I believe the guy at FCC that was in charge of the NDSU media contract was pretty old and has probably retired. Our SID and/or marketing director might also be different. But the big change just happened. Even though it was called the Fighting Sioux Sports Network, it was actually produced by FCC via WDAZ. All those games on FSSN and Fox College Sports? WDAZ people were behind it. You can be damn certain that FCC wasn't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts; they were making money on the deal. But buried in the UND/Midco announcement today was the fact that Midco is taking over all TV production. Goodbye FCC revenue stream.

Now FCC has to make a choice. Do they continue with the new status quo of producing only UND radio and backing it up with GFH print coverage? Or do they put on their big girl panties and go after the NDSU media contracts when they come up for bids? I think that's one of the reasons for the survey/poll in the Forum. They're looking for info on which contract could make them more money. There are pros and cons from every side. From FCC's perspective, there are advantages in going with NDSU and advantages in going with UND. From NDSU's perspective, there are advantages with FCC and advantages with Hoak/RadioFM. I think the next round of contract negotiations could get very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see NDSU pairing up with FCC in the next contract.