Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone school me on special teams:

Default Re: Someone school me on special teams:

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I agree with 4m. 3 miscues in 2 games? From the snap, hold, blocking, and kick, not to mention getting the right personnel on the field (which I believe was an issue with the botched snap in Minny), I think we have some serious issues. Unless we are giving all the credit to the other team's kick-block team, we need to step it up in this area. We have been lucky the games have not been close enough for this to hurt us.

On the topic of special teams, I love having Voigt back there punting, with the constant threat of him running the ball something that opposing teams have to plan around. This perhaps allows us to cover his kicks a little better, as the opposition is not 100% focused on blocking our coverage when they have a watchful eye on Voigt. HOWEVER, the punts themselves have barely been serviceable. Again, this has not really hurt us much (yet), as our D has been so tough.

Agree with PL, I really, really liked our kickoffs yesterday. Those kicks inside the 5 yard line, deep in the corner are a thing of beaty.
    Exactly my point, atleast I'm not the only one.

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

Voigts punting has been like a mystery grab bag... They are either through the freaking roof, or shanked terrible. I dont know the exact numbers but it seems like hes about 50/50 for great punts and punts that I could pull off. Which is pretty terrible imo. We need a real punter for next year..
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

How about just not punting.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    How about just not punting.
    Hey, we can't play Minnesota EVERY week!

Someone tell me again that there is nothing to worry about????????????

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

There is a lot more to worry about after watching that game.

STEP IT UP, Bison!

Quote Originally Posted by 4mcrue View Post
    Someone tell me again that there is nothing to worry about????????????
    There is nothing to worry about.

we cant keep lying to him like this.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Ask Boise State about kicking teams....or maybe the Buffalo Bills.....or the 1998 Vikings.....

Yes we have alot to work on, but don't overlook special teams. I would be sick if we lost a national title, playoff game, etc because of this
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Heck we need to stop snapping it to the outside of the holders hip. It has been done all year and it cost us today.

Quote Originally Posted by EPBison View Post

Ask Boise State about kicking teams....or maybe the Buffalo Bills.....or the 1998 Vikings.....Yes we have alot to work on, but don't overlook special teams. I would be sick if we lost a national title, playoff game, etc because of this
    Thanks for bringing that up. I almost needed rehab for the '98 Viking fiasco. Now I'm really worried about our FG/XP unit.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013