Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long til a Hotseat

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: How long til a Hotseat

ya know what would help get some money flowing to the program? some fan support. i went to about half of the home games last year and the turnouts were PATHETIC. the game against the gophers last year was the highest attended game. there were something like 900 people there and it was a beautiful day and it was against a high caliber opponent. the rest of the games were getting 100 people tops. the weather did suck for a good part of the home season, but when it was nice out people still didnt go. there is zero effort to promote the program. the way the schedule is set up this year all their home games are at the end of the season so im hoping that helps get people to go since the weather should be better. you guys in the HNES program, you guys should have some extra credit incentive for the students. give them a reason to go to the games, because kids at the school couldnt give two shits about baseball.

I appreciate the idea of offering an incentive to attend games, but giving extra credit in an academic class to attend an athletic event is not only inappropriate but degrading to our programs. I know your going to be playing for the team this year. I completely support the program and will attend every game I can. Coach Brown, Mongo, Dave and Zim are great guys with a vision for the future. Your in good hands! Good luck this year!

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    I appreciate the idea of offering an incentive to attend games, but giving extra credit in an academic class to attend an athletic event is not only inappropriate but degrading to our programs. I know your going to be playing for the team this year. I completely support the program and will attend every game I can. Coach Brown, Mongo, Dave and Zim are great guys with a vision for the future. Your in good hands! Good luck this year!
    it was worth a shot. and i wish i was

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    it was worth a shot. and i wish i was
    Well good luck making the team, I'll put in a good word for ya!

BISON PRIDE YOU FORGOT a few others Flyn was from Vegas, Plecki was from Florida I guess and Nebraska tat couldg either way and he went on to play some IndyBall after, Also there was Gaylord from Texas who Played indyball although he never stepped foot on the field he was recruited and sighned and also Paterson from Cali who did throw no hitter for us and then played Indy ball and still playing profesionally overseas. So we have got some others and granted the circumstances we have gotten those warm weather state players and need to keep utilizing them like the other sports

jeffdaryl3rd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The most you can reasonably expect from a college coach who inherits a bottom feeder type program is incremental improvement. Until they establish themselves as a consistent winning program and get more funding their non-conference schedule is going to be up and down from year to year, but one thing they should do is show improvement in league play. The overall records in '08 and '09 were very similar (15-30 and 16-28 respectively) but they showed improvement in the conference (7-16 and 10-14). Also, the team's top two hitters (Kline and Wentz) and top pitcher (Straka) were young guys who will be around for a while and give us something to build around as well as serving to highlight Brown's ability to recruit. This is a hard job for a baseball coach and I think coach Brown has done a solid job so far and there should be no mention of a hot seat as long as he continues to move the program forward. Hopefully he can be to the program in their D-I existence what Mitch McLeod was to their D-II incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBison View Post
    BISON PRIDE YOU FORGOT a few others Flyn was from Vegas, Plecki was from Florida I guess and Nebraska tat couldg either way and he went on to play some IndyBall after, Also there was Gaylord from Texas who Played indyball although he never stepped foot on the field he was recruited and sighned and also Paterson from Cali who did throw no hitter for us and then played Indy ball and still playing profesionally overseas. So we have got some others and granted the circumstances we have gotten those warm weather state players and need to keep utilizing them like the other sports

Plecki is an Air Force kid who calls Florida home but went to high school in Omaha. That is the only way he ended up at NDSU is because he was in Omaha. Good player playing in a low level independent league and doing well holding the franchise season hit record (ok its only 3 years old but still impressive).

Gaylord had a parent from around here and was trying to get back up this direction and contacted the school. He would have been a nice addition had he been eligible to play.

Eckermans from South Africa obviously contacted the school.

Paterson and Flynn are not good examples of getting players from Cali and Nevada. Flynn, not sure but I don't believe NDSU made the first contact. He has not proven to be a D1 player yet. Is he still on the team? Pretty sure Paterson contacted the school in the summer because he had no where else to play and wanted to play D1. Pretty sure he didnt get a scholarship and was a walk on. Had good numbers at his JUCO so they gave him a chance. We found out why he wasnt recruited by any D1 schools because he couldnt hit at that level and was effective on the mound because his velocity was below average for right handed D2 players from the NCC. What Indy team did Paterson play for because all I find is a 12.00 ERA in 5 appearances in basically a fall try out league for the Golden League? And baseball overseas is mostly a glorified amateur league where alot of expenses are paid and thats about it.

As I said before the school needs to provide the commitment financially to get difference makers like softball was able to bring in. Until that happens we should provide support for the players and coaches and hope they do well, but to expect us to push ORU for a title anytime soon without that would be wishful thinking.

How about if we lose to Mayville St this spring? The Comets will come in with a tough lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by lcbison View Post
    How about if we lose to Mayville St this spring? The Comets will come in with a tough lineup.
    How talented are they? Obviously, they have CV in the lineup so they are going to be tough, but do they have any other horses in the stable?

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    How talented are they? Obviously, they have CV in the lineup so they are going to be tough, but do they have any other horses in the stable?
    they return 3 all-dac performers. theyre usually a pretty solid team. they dont have any studs (other than cv, of course) but they tend to do the little things right which wins them ball games.