Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UND football team dismisses linebacker

Default Re: UND football team dismisses linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    I disagree. Where was the story about Blake Sczepanski's MIP? Where was the story about Jangula's arrest in Minot? It happens at both schools, with both newspapers, with both sets of media. Has NDSU been under the microscope more than UND the last couple of years? Most likely. But that doesn't mean that a conscious decision has been made regarding the reporting of those events.
    Bah! Way to pick exceptions and hold them up as the rule. Yeah, Tyler Jangula in Minot summer of 2006 and a non-schollie player.

If you don't see the bias*, you are blind. If 90% of NDSU student-athletes getting a MIP rates a news story and 10% of UND's do, that's not fair. If all of the stories of NDSU student-athletes getting a DUI include a mugshot, but a UND student's felony arrest or DUI doesn't rate one, that's not fair. If stories about NDSU student-athletes getting in trouble brings out a laundry list going back to Rocky Hager but with UND it's almost always treated as an isolated incident then, yeah, that's not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Bah! Way to pick exceptions and hold them up as the rule. Yeah, Tyler Jangula in Minot summer of 2006 and a non-schollie player.

If you don't see the bias*, you are blind. If 90% of NDSU student-athletes getting a MIP rates a news story and 10% of UND's do, that's not fair. If all of the stories of NDSU student-athletes getting a DUI include a mugshot, but a UND student's felony arrest or DUI doesn't rate one, that's not fair. If stories about NDSU student-athletes getting in trouble brings out a laundry list going back to Rocky Hager but with UND it's almost always treated as an isolated incident then, yeah, that's not fair.
    The press must just have it out for NDSU. It has absolutely nothing to do with 5 DUI's, 2 drug arrests a few minors, and one undisclosed team rule violation in one offseason. That would no way be news worthy in North Dakota. Its all the newspapers and the TV's fault, they just report what they want to report. Where is the story with an arrest every month for a few months in a row on one of the premier programs in the state. The news should only report the good things the players do. They always write the UND stories better. Which article was it again that they listed everyone arrested since Rocky Hagar? I missed that one. The only ones I saw listed the arrests this offseason which was a pretty impressive list as well.

It's like trying to convince a dem that the media is on their side. No matter how much evidence there is they always deny it. By the way I was talking about the "current other LB" that's been charged with felony asssult

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    It's like trying to convince a dem that the media is on their side. No matter how much evidence there is they always deny it. By the way I was talking about the "current other LB" that's been charged with felony asssult
    Brad Kelly?? Trial is in November, he was dismissed from the team, mugshot was in the paper, story was all over the place. Not sure what I missed with this story since the last time you brought it up. I didn't know he was a current player since he is not on the roster. I guess Troy Jackson, Jordan Schultenover, Sidney Haynes are all current Bison players?????

Who exactly is "biased" and who is responsible for not being "fair"? The GF Herald is owned by the Forum. All the TV stations operate in both markets. I assume Fargo has more radio stations. If any of these outlets report it, it's going to be reported by all of them within a day. Are we to believe that all of these media outlets have different standards for Grand Forks and Fargo?

I would guess there's probably less people checking the GF police records than in Fargo, so less people who might recognize a name as an athlete. Otherwise I'm not sure where the conspiracy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Amused View Post
    Who exactly is "biased" and who is responsible for not being "fair"? The GF Herald is owned by the Forum. All the TV stations operate in both markets. I assume Fargo has more radio stations. If any of these outlets report it, it's going to be reported by all of them within a day. Are we to believe that all of these media outlets have different standards for Grand Forks and Fargo?

I would guess there's probably less people checking the GF police records than in Fargo, so less people who might recognize a name as an athlete. Otherwise I'm not sure where the conspiracy is.
    Oh the conspiracy is there. From the bottom all the way up to the top. They are all in on it. Who they are though I'm not sure.

Conspiracy? Actually, I just expect some uniformity between the Herald and the Forum now.

Conspiracy? Actually, I just expect some uniformity between the Herald and the Forum now.
    Tony, it's not a uniformity issue. Here's how it works: a reporter (TV, newspaper, radio) goes into a police station and asks to see the public log of incident reports. The reporter is looking for something newsworthy, or out of the ordinary, or a NAME that he or she recognizes. That same reporter also makes a stop at Clerk of County Courts to check if any charges have been brought against anyone with recognizable names, i.e., someone "newsworthy". A diligent reporter will make a third stop at the county jail to see the names of the new inmates. By the way, all three of these are open public records. What if the reporter in Fargo recognizes the name "Jose Mohler"? What if the reporter in Grand Forks doesn't recognize the name "Matt Frattin"? You're counting on an overworked, underpaid (usually a newbie) reporter to recognize every name of every athlete on the roster of Hockey, Football, and Basketball? The point being, there is no such thing as uniformity. All reporters in Grand Forks will recognize the name "Oshie". Seemingly, no reporter in Minot will recognize "Jangula". I respectfully disagree with you and think you are wrong if you feel this is intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    Somebody gave you some bad information about "4 alcohol related offenses" for Frattin. Without going into too much detail, I know quite a bit about all of these cases.
    First off, I doubt any Bison fan goes over to SS and gloats about your numerous infractions, or for that matter sticks for our bad apples over there. So, what the H-E-L-L are you on Bisonville preaching for?

Secondly, you seem to think that the Frattin lawn mower incident is practically nothing. Sounds serious to me. And of course, no UND infactions post could be complete without mentioning either Bobby Stroup or Oshie.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Speaking of Bobby Stroup - interesting article on Bobby - former Fargo South kid, former und linebacker, former student of mine - trying to turn things around down at UNO:

http://omaha.com/article/20090823/SPORTS03/708239834