Page 38 of 69 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Flood 2009

Default Re: Flood 2009

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    After spending long hours at the dome wednesday evening and thursday morning, I went to bed last night hoping for a nice rest. At about 11:30pm I got a CODE RED call from the city of fargo calling for neighborhood volunteers to place about 60,000 sandbags on top of the 4th st s dike in Fargo from 6th ave to 13th ave s to a height of 44'. A few minutes later about 10 semi flatbed loads of sandbags on pallets arrived and filled 4th st s. Hundreds of people came crawling out of their homes in the neighborhood and we worked through the night placing all of those sandbags in 15 degree weather. It was a very eerie feeling working through the night under construction floodlights with dark water swirling only a few feet away.
    so you're safe as of now and hopefully stay safe!!!

Thanks for that update

Also on the press conference the dome should be wrapping up with making bags by around 6pm or so tonight. Thanks for everyone that has helped at them dome and out on the dikes this week and be safe everyone!
    "We All From Africa"

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Don't read this looking for good news. But the guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and it might be good advice. Sandbag dikes are built to save property, not lives.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/27/hon...rss_topstories
    The General obviously hasn't met many North Dakotans.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    After spending long hours at the dome wednesday evening and thursday morning, I went to bed last night hoping for a nice rest. At about 11:30pm I got a CODE RED call from the city of fargo calling for neighborhood volunteers to place about 60,000 sandbags on top of the 4th st s dike in Fargo from 6th ave to 13th ave s to a height of 44'. A few minutes later about 10 semi flatbed loads of sandbags on pallets arrived and filled 4th st s. Hundreds of people came crawling out of their homes in the neighborhood and we worked through the night placing all of those sandbags in 15 degree weather. It was a very eerie feeling working through the night under construction floodlights with dark water swirling only a few feet away.
    This is EXACTLY how I felt sandbagging in grand forks in '97. We were working on a walkout and it was almost like we were looking up at the river. Scarry stuff.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

It's one thing for me to be out there throwing sandbags on a cold night, but God Bless those 60+ year old women from the neighborhood going beyond what would be expected of them!

533 In a row

not good.

Firefighters were responding to a house fire at 5704 Elm St., just off Wall Street in flooded Oakport Township north of Moorhead, according to dispatchers.

They just said on TV that they cant get to the fire

maybe I heard this wrong on the radio, but i thought i heard them say police have been reporting to houses that were evacuated that have been broken into....if that's true there is something wrong with people that decide to do that.
    "We All From Africa"

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFan_Sav View Post
    maybe I heard this wrong on the radio, but i thought i heard them say police have been reporting to houses that were evacuated that have been broken into....if that's true there is something wrong with people that decide to do that.
    they should be shot on site. That is lower than low. I remember I had a house fire and I caught a couple of kids the next day digging around in our crap. I have never been as angry as I was then. It is a miracle that I didn't kill them.

Default Flood Communication

Does anyone think it's strange that they don't have one central point of communication to citizens and media that covers Fargo, Moorhead, and Bismarck (State of ND) communications? Fargo and Moorhead had two different news conferences at the same time and in the middle of that the State of ND emergency system sent an alert out saying that I94 is shut down to allow for the evacuation of Fargo! This while the Fargo leaders are publically taking a deep breath and thinking they may be turning the corner. Turns out at this point there are no plans to evacuate Fargo.

I'm sure it was a misunderstanding that some neighborhoods are being evacuated or that the freeway was being cleared in case of a Fargo evacuation but geez, get it right. One central point of media communication would make it easier to avoid these things.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFan_Sav View Post
    Rumors like this always start in times of crisis - they can be very destructive so please don't spread it around. I didn't hear anything like that on the radio. And even if you do hear it on the radio, it doesn't mean it is so. Heck, I must've heard that Saddam was "almost certainly dead" about 100 times on cable TV news. Point is, I really, really doubt this is happening.