Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildcat Formation or switch to spread offense

Default Re: Wildcat Formation or switch to spread offense

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Its not the current system that is at fault. Its the execution of that system. How the hell can anyone expect the O-Line to sustain there blocks in another system when they arent doing it now????
    They need to work on FUNDEMENTALS. If you cant do the small things right you wont beable to do the big things right.
    People have become complacent and think that we can always pull the game out at the last minute with a big play. Thats why people are going bonkers. The fact is you wont win consistantly playing that way. Or you just wont win at all.
    Work on the small things. Be disiplined. Get your fundementals down and the rest will fall into place. PL
    ++++++++++++++

Block, tackle, catch, pass, and execute assignments. That's what the offfense is currently missing.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

I appreciate the thoughts shared by a former OL Bison player...no matter what the division. Football is football. I think he had some points to consider. Thanks BisonNeil. Also, and actually the smartest thing said on this thread so far has been the comment by 56Bison73...FUNDAMENTALS!

Where is the thread to tear apart the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by bison mom View Post
    A former OL in the NCC! What does that tell you? This isn't Division II anymore in the NCC. This is Division I FCS football playing in the seemingly toughest conference in the FCS. The schemes, speed of the game and strength of the lines has changed tremendously.
    This is a very interesting comment and since I don't understand it, I hope you will bear with me and help me with my confusion.

If I understand your comment above it appears that a former player, one who only played DII ball, couldn't possibly know anything much less have an opinion about the current team because the speed of the game and their strength is so much different today at DIAA than what he experienced? Assuming I have that premise correct, how do you feel about the coaches then given your comments?

Brent Vigen played DII ball at NDSU. He is also recruiting coordinator. Can he judge talent or even coach at this level given when he played they were so much slower and weaker? How can he handle the schemes, which are totally different since he played when NDSU ran the veer and now its the west coast?

Scott Hazelton played at Fort Lewis College in CO, a DII school. Same for him, perhaps? Does his opinion of how the DL performs when he has to rate them mean anything since he played at a bottom of the barrel DII school?

How about Tim Polasek the RB coach? He played at DIII Concordia in WI. How can he coach players that are light years faster and stronger than what he experienced in a non-scholarship level of the NCAA?

Kyle Nystrom perhaps bothers you the most given he was a criminal justice major and didn't even play college football? He certainly couldn't judge talent or give advice or make assessments of DIAA college football players, could he?

God, I hope your son doesn't play defense for either Hazelton or Nystrom as their position coach, what a horrible experience that must be for him since he is a DIAA player and they were not. Do you feel resentment because your son is playing for a coach who was not a DIAA player?

So, please, enlighten us all how these coaches, basically half the coaching staff, could possibly know anything about DIAA schemes and the speed and strength of the game while a former all conference DII football player who works in the area and watches all of the games can't possibly know anything. This is so terribly confusing, please help, please!

VanClubPres is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just because we cant stop the spread offense doesnt mean we can run it.
    To the Herd!!!!

No but making teams game plan for a few different wrinkles wouldnt be a bad thing either. Bring back Ryan Parsons!
    NDSU Van Club

Lakesbison may be an idiot, but in the end he's our idiot.

Can we pretend that Jose Mohler passes are like shooting stars, cuz I would wish for a new O coordinator.

BigBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Its not the current system that is at fault. Its the execution of that system. How the hell can anyone expect the O-Line to sustain there blocks in another system when they arent doing it now????
    They need to work on FUNDEMENTALS. If you cant do the small things right you wont beable to do the big things right.
    People have become complacent and think that we can always pull the game out at the last minute with a big play. Thats why people are going bonkers. The fact is you wont win consistantly playing that way. Or you just wont win at all.
    Work on the small things. Be disiplined. Get your fundementals down and the rest will fall into place. PL
    ++++++++++++++++++++So true...so true++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Look at the way we started last game two flase starts and a dropped pass. If we did the Fundementals right I would think we would be 5-1 now, maybe even 6-0. Blocking, tackling, kicking, dropped passes, interception, pass rush, etc and injurys have had to do with some of it. I dont know what happened at Wyoming but I think our guys just need to go out and play. Give Meterns the full playbook again, give him time to pass, and he'll do alot better.
    Last edited by BigBison; 10-15-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBison View Post
    This is a very interesting comment and since I don't understand it, I hope you will bear with me and help me with my confusion.

If I understand your comment above it appears that a former player, one who only played DII ball, couldn't possibly know anything much less have an opinion about the current team because the speed of the game and their strength is so much different today at DIAA than what he experienced? Assuming I have that premise correct, how do you feel about the coaches then given your comments?

Brent Vigen played DII ball at NDSU. He is also recruiting coordinator. Can he judge talent or even coach at this level given when he played they were so much slower and weaker? How can he handle the schemes, which are totally different since he played when NDSU ran the veer and now its the west coast?

Scott Hazelton played at Fort Lewis College in CO, a DII school. Same for him, perhaps? Does his opinion of how the DL performs when he has to rate them mean anything since he played at a bottom of the barrel DII school?

How about Tim Polasek the RB coach? He played at DIII Concordia in WI. How can he coach players that are light years faster and stronger than what he experienced in a non-scholarship level of the NCAA?

Kyle Nystrom perhaps bothers you the most given he was a criminal justice major and didn't even play college football? He certainly couldn't judge talent or give advice or make assessments of DIAA college football players, could he?

God, I hope your son doesn't play defense for either Hazelton or Nystrom as their position coach, what a horrible experience that must be for him since he is a DIAA player and they were not. Do you feel resentment because your son is playing for a coach who was not a DIAA player?

So, please, enlighten us all how these coaches, basically half the coaching staff, could possibly know anything about DIAA schemes and the speed and strength of the game while a former all conference DII football player who works in the area and watches all of the games can't possibly know anything. This is so terribly confusing, please help, please!
    Smartass

the spread? you have got to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    the spread? you have got to be kidding me.

Well a gradual transition into the spread can't be that bad of an idea. Last 3 1-AA national Champs and last 2 1-A champs run a variation of the spread. 1 more loss and this year is a rebuilding year anyway. Might as well embrace the future.

If The Miami Dolphins can run the Wildhog offense and get it to work against NFL defenses, a collegiate team sure as heck should be able too.

Granted there might not be some bright guys on the field, but this isn't rocket science. 5th grade midget footballers can figure out a couple new plays each week. We're talking the addition of probably 4 new plays.

When you all say we need the entire o-line to recite the periodic table of elements or newtons laws of physics, then i will say that we may be reaching the point of too tough of material.