Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why our ancestors left Norway.....

Default Why our ancestors left Norway.....

OK....I am on my first trip to Norway and visiting relatives. I do know now why they left and came to the United States.

A glass of tap beer in the bar is $13.00!!!!! I would have to get the hell out too at those prices!!

Default Re: Why our ancestors left Norway.....

Oh I understand that. I was a exchange student to Norway in High School and that place was very expensive and that was a long time ago. One of the most expensive in the world. A very nice looking country though and lots of fun things to do. Have fun and enjoy the beer it sounds like it has gold in it.

You're getting killed on the exchange. 18 months ago that beer only would have been $9.50.

"In this replacement Earth we're building they've given me Africa to do and of course I'm doing it with all fjords again because I happen to like them, and I'm old fashioned enough to think that they give a lovely baroque feel to a continent. And they tell me it's not equatorial enough. Equatorial!" He gave a hollow laugh. "What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day." --Slartybartfast
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    OK....I am on my first trip to Norway and visiting relatives. I do know now why they left and came to the United States.

A glass of tap beer in the bar is $13.00!!!!! I would have to get the hell out too at those prices!!
    And probably half of that is tax (not to turn this political but probably true).
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo View Post
    And probably half of that is tax (not to turn this political but probably true).
    They have a wonderful govt pension program from what I understand. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo View Post
    Luxury taxes in Norway are absolutely ridiculous. Go to a state liquor store and look at the prices. Markup on the hard stuff is even worse.

Your best option for reasonably priced booze is to take this overnight ferry to Copenhagen and back, taking full advantage of the wonderful duty free shopping that it offers. For many, the savings pay the price of the ticket.

also... There is a place in Oslo where the beer can be had at American prices. [linky] They have a party in late June, called Tøm Tankene (drain the tanks). Last big bang of the academic year. Beerfest. You must pass as a local college student or be a very pretty girl, though.
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    They have a wonderful govt pension program from what I understand. PL
    Many Norwegians go to places like Croatia for the same reasons that many Canadians come to the United States for health care.

*i'm not saying... i'm just saying... and hoping not to be starting political debate
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

Quote Originally Posted by UND Thundering Herd View Post
    Many Norwegians go to places like Croatia for the same reasons that many Canadians come to the United States for health care.

*i'm not saying... i'm just saying... and hoping not to be starting political debate
    Yup, they come down here for our super-dee-dooper awesome #44 ranked health care system. Tucked safely on the list just behind Indonesia and Russia.

(I will end this political debate right here)
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    Yup, they come down here for our super-dee-dooper awesome #44 ranked health care system. Tucked safely on the list just behind Indonesia and Russia.

(I will end this political debate right here)
    Countdown to a pissed off post in 3, 2, 1....

BRING BACK SNORTY

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Countdown to a pissed off post in 3, 2, 1....
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't make our health system so crappy....
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz