Page 1354 of 1366 FirstFirst ... 354854125413041344135213531354135513561364 ... LastLast
Results 13,531 to 13,540 of 13656

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    When CUSA was scrambling for members, everyone was on their shortlist. We absolutely could have waltzed in and somewhat dictated terms. But we were too good for CUSA. So the lifeboats filled up while we had a drink in Titanic's lounge.
    Do we really know that? I would like to think that is true, but NDSU was way out of their footprint....

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Do we really know that? I would like to think that is true, but NDSU was way out of their footprint....
    When they were scrambling for survival, their footprint became the continental United States. We've always had a geography problem. That was the one instance in which our potential membership plus our geography was less problematic for a conference than no membership at all.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    When they were scrambling for survival, their footprint became the continental United States. We've always had a geography problem. That was the one instance in which our potential membership plus our geography was less problematic for a conference than no membership at all.
    So in other words, it must be true because you want it to be true, despite our AD(who is subject to open records laws) repeatedly saying otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    So in other words, it must be true because you want it to be true, despite our AD(who is subject to open records laws) repeatedly saying otherwise.
    Think what you want if it comforts you in being on the wrong side of the FBS issue. Open records laws don't govern hedging or equivocating to journalists. Anyone can read the old news stories and posts. Pretty clear we rebuffed CUSA. In fact, I remember ML on 1660 saying that CUSA was not a good fit for NDSU. You're certainly not going to get a formal invite when that's your message. At a minimum, back channel queries were made as to NDSU's potential interest and we indicated we weren't interested. The administration has forever been wedded to wait-and-see. NDSU...the team that beat #13 Iowa in their house and has had the most dominant FCS program in history...has sat with its thumb up its ass while the FBS world has evolved without them. We've done NOTHING. We've signaled almost NOTHING, and even then only recently. NDSU should be embarrassed. We held out for the supermodel. We remain single while Missouri State is getting married to a decent, librarian-cute gal with a future.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Exactly, we were never on the shortlist, which has been somewhat leaked various places. Missouri St has been floating out there for a few months for people that know where to look. They had conversations with SBC as well.

Sure, CUSA may have put out feelers to see what FCS teams were in play, but their objectives are to build a Southeast regional conference somewhat mirroring the SBC. They will continue to add within and adjacent to that footprint.

ML is exactly right on what’s coming down the pike as well. G5 will have an official top 25 soon, and they are working on creating a separate playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Exactly, we were never on the shortlist, which has been somewhat leaked various places. Missouri St has been floating out there for a few months for people that know where to look. They had conversations with SBC as well.

Sure, CUSA may have put out feelers to see what FCS teams were in play, but their objectives are to build a Southeast regional conference somewhat mirroring the SBC. They will continue to add within and adjacent to that footprint.

ML is exactly right on what’s coming down the pike as well. G5 will have an official top 25 soon, and they are working on creating a separate playoff.
    I love all the speculation that if/when something happens that the G5 will just allow more conferences/schools to join. The talk of the G5 and the "top" FCS joining together is speculative and hopeful at best.

The reality is that the G5 doesn't have to do shit and could easily say no more conferences and limit the number of teams to join. NDSU could be on the outside looking in if/when that happens. It would be better to make a move independent to ensure FBS than wait for the perfect situation to come about and be potentially locked out in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I love all the speculation that if/when something happens that the G5 will just allow more conferences/schools to join. The talk of the G5 and the "top" FCS joining together is speculative and hopeful at best.

The reality is that the G5 doesn't have to do shit and could easily say no more conferences and limit the number of teams to join. NDSU could be on the outside looking in if/when that happens. It would be better to make a move independent to ensure FBS than wait for the perfect situation to come about and be potentially locked out in the future.
    This 100% is the conundrum and what has me personally worried. I challenged Matt Zimmer on this on Twitter, and he basically is "not concerned." I was thinking, well, you sure as hell should be, but he is a journalist and probably not wanting to ruffle feathers are SDSU.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Nobody cares about hockey while a team of kids that haven't enrolled in college yet (Fargo Force) outdraw Bison Basketball 4 to 1. Yeah I have to respectively disagree with that statement

Fargo is a hockey town, hosts squirt international, has some of the highest participation rates in the country and has elite level facilities for youth hockey

We have no chance to ever be competitive in basketball again nor does anyone in the summit league. The region is flush with talent. Hockey would be successful within 5 years

We would pack Scheels Arena day 1 until we can build our own arena and it wouldn't take away from football. Different audience that is untapped. If we start hockey I bet wr could even get public support for a new duel purpose hockey/basketball arena. Maybe even attached to the Fargodome
    Hate to say it, but I am fading this way as well. If we aren't going to support and fund hoops at a mid major level, then we should at least take another look at Hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    This 100% is the conundrum and what has me personally worried. I challenged Matt Zimmer on this on Twitter, and he basically is "not concerned." I was thinking, well, you sure as hell should be, but he is a journalist and probably not wanting to ruffle feathers are SDSU.
    If this were to happen, I propose that we cut football funding by millions and pump it into basketball. By not finding a way to get to the 2nd tier of football, it will effectively destroy the sport at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post

It doesn't have to be a perfect situation to move FBS but it has to be something less than an awful situation to make it worthwhile IMO. Moving all sports to CUSA would be a terrible decision for the athletic department as a whole. Sending baseball, softball, volleyball, etc from New Mexico to Florida to Delaware and many places in between for conference games is not going to work. What's good for the football program isn't necessarily good for the entire athletic department. CUSA, even with Missouri St (now the closest CUSA school to NDSU at 770 miles away), is still not a good option for any sport other than football and a football only invite isn't happening.