Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Default Re: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    As I was catching up on this thread I was assembling the "NASCAR reply on my mind. You beat me to it! In the 90's & early 2000's NASCAR was on fire. Nearly every cup race was a sellout & memorabilia was everywhere.
    What went south?
    Undoubtedly the death of Dale Sr. was a blow, but more so was NASCAR's efforts to 'refine' it's image. They started fining drivers for less than eloquent post race interviews. Especially if it contained any criticism of mother NASCAR. They acted like their audience was captive and made it easy for us to say "Fuck you. I'll mow my lawn on Sunday instead".

Well, I bet a lot of people are ready to say the same thing to the NCAA.

I would add the very long races played a part in it, as people didn't want to dedicate as much time as they did in the past. Look at Baseball and their rule changes these past few years.

One could also make a comparison to our situation (FCS football) with game length and the additional tailgating time.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. – Marcus Aurelius

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” – Benjamin Franklin

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As I was catching up on this thread I was assembling the "NASCAR reply on my mind. You beat me to it! In the 90's & early 2000's NASCAR was on fire. Nearly every cup race was a sellout & memorabilia was everywhere.
    What went south?
    Undoubtedly the death of Dale Sr. was a blow, but more so was NASCAR's efforts to 'refine' it's image. They started fining drivers for less than eloquent post race interviews. Especially if it contained any criticism of mother NASCAR. They acted like their audience was captive and made it easy for us to say "Fuck you. I'll mow my lawn on Sunday instead".

Well, I bet a lot of people are ready to say the same thing to the NCAA.
    Another issue they had was they got gready. I'm not sure how many races they ran in their peak but they started racing every weekend. And they went to more cities. Previously you mostly had to be in the south to see a race. When they added a bunch of races, people in the Midwest didn't have to travel south to see a race. I didn't follow it close enough to track other locations that were added, but I remember that having an impact as the popularity started to drop. Indy was a very specific issue. When they started racing here it was a premiere event simply because of the prestige of the track. And hometown boys Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman being on the top of their game. The first several races sold out with over 250k fans. In 2008 they had a major tire issue that resulted in mandated cautions every 10 laps. I was at that race and it was miserable. There was still a decent crowed though. By 2016, there were less than 50k people there. The other issue for racing is the big heavy cars didn't do well on the track. The corners aren't banked as high as most NASCAR tracks so passing was difficult. Plus Indy is not a great place to see a race if you are used to seeing the entire race. At most you are going to see 1/2 and even then the cars are far away from you half that time. Having races in Kentucky and Chicago gave fans other options. The tried the road course for a couple years and that helped, but they still didn't get much above 50k. Good for many other places but empty for Indy. They are going back to the oval (or rectangle with rounded corners as I call it) this year. Apparently the changes to the car should allow it to be more entertaining. I guess we'll see.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Race length for sure is an issue. Even when we were avid fans we napped during races. Something is wrong with that statement.

Race length for sure is an issue. Even when we were avid fans we napped during races. Something is wrong with that statement.
    Well it's not the nap part.

Supposedly naps are good for ones blood pressure.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. – Marcus Aurelius

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” – Benjamin Franklin

North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

That is exactly where I figured he would end up. Coach Roehl knows him well.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    That is exactly where I figured he would end up. Coach Roehl knows him well.
    We all know Coach Roehl but I think this leaves a little bit of a bad taste in our mouths. This is the kind of thing we'll remember if (when) the HC position opens again. His sights may be set higher than NDSU i guess.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Chief View Post
    We all know Coach Roehl but I think this leaves a little bit of a bad taste in our mouths. This is the kind of thing we'll remember if (when) the HC position opens again. His sights may be set higher than NDSU i guess.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Too right. I'm guessing he should be completely sanguine regarding being passed over for the HC job and just put his competitive nature on hold vis a vis NDSU eh?

Bullshit. Good for Tyler and for Eli. I hope it works well for both of them.
    Don't believe everything you think.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Too right. I'm guessing he should be completely sanguine regarding being passed over for the HC job and just put his competitive nature on hold vis a vis NDSU eh?

Bullshit. Good for Tyler and for Eli. I hope it works well for both of them.
    Gotta agree. TR wouldn't be doing his job if he passed on EG. Besides...then someone else nabs him. He was gone the day he entered the portal.

The sad part is Alumni Green (Eli's mom) was so ashamed by his leaving the Bison that she felt the need to go out & change her name.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The sad part is Alumni Green (Eli's mom) was so ashamed by his leaving the Bison that she felt the need to go out & change her name.
    You serious, Clark?
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.