Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU retirements

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU retirements

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Thing that is fascinating to me is I very much appreciated being exposed to the liberal, Marxist workers paradise. I did not fully appreciate that folks actually believed that crap and it was good for me for functioning in life. (Along with understanding a few veins of truth in some of that worldview even if 90% is BS.) What I don't get is students camping on lawns, calling for genocide (that is what river to the sea means for cripes sake), and clearly not understanding the situation in the Middle East. What the hell changed?
    Fringe is fringe. What changed in our society that made Charlottesville or Jan. 6th happen? Don’t personally understand that level of zealotry either but we live in a free country and as long as people are not infringing on others rights they can and should be allowed to gather and speak their message. Likely won’t have a large bearing on my particular opinion but that’s just me

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    BigLakeBison, it's clear you haven't listened to anything I've said. I posted that I mostly agreed with you and was fine with differing viewpoints and ideas and that wasn't what I was concerned with. You clearly don't want to hear a different point of view so I'm done interacting with you.
    So campuses slant left, fine. Are conservatives not allowed? Are they required to change their beliefs? I just think fearing a left slant on campus is weak minded. Stand up for your beliefs and make the most of your own experience.

The individual subjects have nothing to do with it. I supposed next you're going to try to say that network media doesn't slant left.
    Depends which one you watch, obviously. Some slant either way

and this is what universities do. Teach individual subjects

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Depends which one you watch, obviously. Some slant either way

and this is what universities do. Teach individual subjects
    They do a lot more than teach individual subjects.

I try not to watch much anymore, but from what I remember there was one that slanted right and the rest slanted left.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Fringe is fringe. What changed in our society that made Charlottesville or Jan. 6th happen? Don’t personally understand that level of zealotry either but we live in a free country and as long as people are not infringing on others rights they can and should be allowed to gather and speak their message. Likely won’t have a large bearing on my particular opinion but that’s just me
    Illegally camping on lawn, occupying buildings, and intimidating minority students is not free speech. I fully agree about the Jan 6 nutjobs; I consider them the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    How does that work in physics, math, chemistry, biology? Sorry, but not buying. For the vast majority of college classes, politics doesn't come up, nor should it

Bisonville, on the other hand ...
    Agreed. I spent time as EEE and CS. Other than an English writing class that a was req there were no politics discussed ever. And since I was an older than average student at that point I was open and vocal and literary about my diffs with the prof. To her inestimable credit and despite my powerful written pushback she rewarded me on merit and not content. She was a fine example of a higher level educator whom I happened to disagree with at the time regarding subject matter outside her demonstrated expertise.

A student who presents at a United States institution of higher learning and becomes indoctrinated in any way did not belong there in the first place. IMHO. Our system is designed to foster independent thought.
    Don't believe everything you think.

JFC, you people can ruin any thread with your righty/lefty bitching and whining…makes me miss Lakes…

They do a lot more than teach individual subjects.

I try not to watch much anymore, but from what I remember there was one that slanted right and the rest slanted left.
    I can't stand either one. It's just the same thing in a different outfit. I have to leave the room if either is on

I would love to cut them all into oblivion, but as I understand it there is no sports only streaming package

Is there?