Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU retirements

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU retirements

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I think the point is that higher education doesn't offer 'differing' viewpoints, it's a very narrow group of ideas they offer and they're generally skewing in one direction. I'm all for vigorous debate and hearing different ideas but that's not what many want. They want you to agree with them and will shout you down or cancel you when you don't. That's the opposite of embracing diversity of thought.

So I guess I agree with much of your post....I would just suggest playing it to academia.
    In the case of NDSU and my daughter's experience specifically that has not been the case. Is it possible that that happens on certain campuses? Likely. I'm also certain that the discussions on the Liberty and Oral Roberts campuses tend to skew a different direction politically. Again, students have free will to decide where they want to attend college based on their own desires. Avoiding college education because your afraid of indoctrination is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    In the case of NDSU and my daughter's experience specifically that has not been the case. Is it possible that that happens on certain campuses? Likely. I'm also certain that the discussions on the Liberty and Oral Roberts campuses tend to skew a different direction politically. Again, students have free will to decide where they want to attend college based on their own desires. Avoiding college education because your afraid of indoctrination is ignorant.
    I went to college and I'm not afraid of indoctrination, but thank you.

My point is that higher education slants left overall. I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise. Talk about ignorant.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

My point is that higher education slants left overall. I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise. Talk about ignorant.
    Thing that is fascinating to me is I very much appreciated being exposed to the liberal, Marxist workers paradise. I did not fully appreciate that folks actually believed that crap and it was good for me for functioning in life. (Along with understanding a few veins of truth in some of that worldview even if 90% is BS.) What I don't get is students camping on lawns, calling for genocide (that is what river to the sea means for cripes sake), and clearly not understanding the situation in the Middle East. What the hell changed?

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How does that work in physics, math, chemistry, biology? Sorry, but not buying. For the vast majority of college classes, politics doesn't come up, nor should it

Bisonville, on the other hand ...

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    How does that work in physics, math, chemistry, biology? Sorry, but not buying. For the vast majority of college classes, politics doesn't come up, nor should it

Bisonville, on the other hand ...
    The individual subjects have nothing to do with it. I supposed next you're going to try to say that network media doesn't slant left.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The individual subjects have nothing to do with it. I supposed next you're going to try to say that network media doesn't slant left.
    Hell, even PBS acknowledged their leftminded bias.

Based on election results the country slants left overall. Guess we should move elsewhere? Never claimed it didn’t slant left. Just think it’s ludicrous to make it more than it is. There is room in this country for differing viewpoints and that includes college campuses. Buck up buttercup.

Have they changed your beliefs?

BigLakeBison, it's clear you haven't listened to anything I've said. I posted that I mostly agreed with you and was fine with differing viewpoints and ideas and that wasn't what I was concerned with. You clearly don't want to hear a different point of view so I'm done interacting with you.