Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU retirements

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU retirements

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    The common denominator of success is ambition, determination and investment in one’s self. Education doesn’t guarantee that. However, there are a lot of those things that are nurtured while obtaining an undergrad degree.
    You nailed it with the 'ambition' remark. This is a more important ingredient of success than anything, including education. Education can indeed be beneficial in life. I certainly suffer from the lack of it at times and I definitely acknowledge my disadvantage in our debates right here. That said, many educators now indoctrinate in addition to (or in place of) educating. This has literally ruined a lot of young people. Some to the point of being unemployable.

The common denominator of success is ambition, determination and investment in one’s self. Education doesn’t guarantee that. However, there are a lot of those things that are nurtured while obtaining an undergrad degree.
    Spot on and another factor not to be overlooked is risk tolerance. It seems for many very successful peeps they are not afraid to take a risk and lose. Many fail repeatedly but keep picking themselves back up and trying again until they eventually succeed.

Take our man kevin here. He YOLOs once a day at least.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Don't believe that was me.
    I'm more the 2026 enrollment cliff (that we're seeing the edge of now) siren.
    HS graduation classes are shrinking 10-15% due to the drop in birth rates during the 2008 economic bubble burst.

Higher Ed is changing, and faster than many expected.
    Must have been some other smart person that posted it.

You always have interesting info so your handle was the first that came to mind.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. – Marcus Aurelius

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” – Benjamin Franklin

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Spot on and another factor not to be overlooked is risk tolerance. It seems for many very successful peeps they are not afraid to take a risk and lose. Many fail repeatedly but keep picking themselves back up and trying again until they eventually succeed.

Take our man kevin here. He YOLOs once a day at least.
    Absolutely. Confidence comes not just from success but also realizing that often times the worst failures are not near as bad as your mind makes you believe they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    You nailed it with the 'ambition' remark. This is a more important ingredient of success than anything, including education. Education can indeed be beneficial in life. I certainly suffer from the lack of it at times and I definitely acknowledge my disadvantage in our debates right here. That said, many educators now indoctrinate in addition to (or in place of) educating. This has literally ruined a lot of young people. Some to the point of being unemployable.
    Agree with just about everything except the indoctrination bullshit. All of us as individuals are free to make up our own minds and exposing ourselves to all sorts of ideologies is at the heart of making the most informed decision possible. Shying away from education because you fear you will be indoctrinated is weak minded. Also, there are unemployable people with and without education. That's a personal problem not a systemically created one.

Agree with just about everything except the indoctrination bullshit.
    You are free to disagree, but it is a real problem. You're correct that these kids are free to make up their own minds, but the fact is many are very naive & impressionable. And it's also fact that professors are by and large, mostly liberals. These kids are merely clay being molded by these lefty professors.

https://www.realcleareducation.com/a...ay_110844.html

You are free to disagree, but it is a real problem. You're correct that these kids are free to make up their own minds, but the fact is many are very naive & impressionable. And it's also fact that professors are by and large, mostly liberals. These kids are merely clay being molded by these lefty professors.

https://www.realcleareducation.com/a...ay_110844.html
    But I'm sure the "indoctrination" that they have gotten at home, at church, at work, in their home communities is all completely different. People being exposed to differing viewpoints is essential to them making wise decisions. Being afraid of that happening is ridiculous.

People being exposed to differing viewpoints is essential to them making wise decisions.
    "Differing" would be nice.
    Sadly, it's all leftminded bullshit from modern academia.
    Then it takes years or real life experience to unconfuse them.

But I'm sure the "indoctrination" that they have gotten at home, at church, at work, in their home communities is all completely different. People being exposed to differing viewpoints is essential to them making wise decisions. Being afraid of that happening is ridiculous.
    I think the point is that higher education doesn't offer 'differing' viewpoints, it's a very narrow group of ideas they offer and they're generally skewing in one direction. I'm all for vigorous debate and hearing different ideas but that's not what many want. They want you to agree with them and will shout you down or cancel you when you don't. That's the opposite of embracing diversity of thought.

So I guess I agree with much of your post....I would just suggest playing it to academia.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

"Differing" would be nice.
    Sadly, it's all leftminded bullshit from modern academia.
    Then it takes years or real life experience to unconfuse them.
    I discuss this topic with my daughter frequently since she is on campus now. At NDSU at least, the amount of discussion regarding politics in the day to day curriculum is very limited. If you seek out specific gatherings, clubs, etc. you definitely can and will find political discussions. Are there a higher percentage of Liberal professors vs. Conservative professors? Likely. Does that mean they are taking time out of their physics, biology or english curriculum to talk about it? No. Also, the make up of the overall student body of NDSU likely come from family and community backgrounds that slant conservative. They have likely had the conservative point of view for much of their upbringing. The college experience likely does expose them to "differing" views. If you're a liberal democrat living in South Dakota are you "indoctrinated" by all of the conservative ideology that surrounds you? We are all individuals capable of making our own evaluations and decisions. Now I'm sure there are other campuses that are much different than NDSU but I would argue that is likely a result of the political ideology of the population that surrounds the campus and funnels students to the university. I.e. UofM is likely more left leaning than NDSU but given the location, probably makes sense. Students also have the ability to make the decision on where they attend based on the fit for them personally. Avoiding college education or encouraging others to avoid college education to specifically avoid indoctrination is ignorant.