Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU retirements

Default Re: NDSU retirements

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    To put this in perspective, the School of Pharmacy is under intense scrutiny from the accreditation body due to a lack of faculty, administration, and funding for faculty development. What a mess.
    And pharmacy practice is down 40-50% in students over the last five years or so…

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Combination of retirement age (many but not all) and people taking advantage of the voluntary separation buyout the admin offered back in January.

Ag Econ: Kerianne Lawson, Jeremy Jackson, Ray March, Veeshan Tayamajhee, Anupa Sharma

Communication: Elizabeth Crawford (and Jeremy Jackson's wife)

Business: Joe Mike Jones, Tim Peterson, Fred Riggins, Charles Stevens

Psychology: Mark McCourt, Verlin Hinsz

HDFS: Margaret Fitzgerald (former provost)

Attending Vet: Neil Dyer

Music: Robert Groves, Jo Ann Miller, Kyle Mack (rumor is that John Miller may also be retiring).

Public Health: Paul Carson

Admin doesn't release a list of names, you have to follow the reception announcements, so I'm guessing there'll be more....
    The music department had a purge about 25 years ago, Kyle Mack was one of the few survivors and is really solid guy. I have total respect and wish him well in his retirement. The Millers....less so.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    The music department had a purge about 25 years ago, Kyle Mack was one of the few survivors and is really solid guy. I have total respect and wish him well in his retirement. The Millers....less so.
    Warren Olfort is also retiring from Music…

Yep. St Cloud is proposing cutting 46 majors, 50 minors, and 57 faculty. 90% of their students will be in the 90 programs that remain, so they're doubling down on what is working and cutting the rest loose.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...b-37155c85e571
    Seems like a smart business decision.

I seem to remember somebody (Sicatoka maybe) posting a similar breakdown of students vs. majors/minors here at NDSU. One of the major explanations in that article for the cut was cost (with it declining attendance) and while I think there is no one answer to it, a major portion of it is bloat.

My 2 cents worth....
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. – Marcus Aurelius

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” – Benjamin Franklin

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Warren Olfort is also retiring from Music…
    Dr. O was one of the "replacements" after the purge. I liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterborn View Post
    Seems like a smart business decision.

I seem to remember somebody (Sicatoka maybe) posting a similar breakdown of students vs. majors/minors here at NDSU. One of the major explanations in that article for the cut was cost (with it declining attendance) and while I think there is no one answer to it, a major portion of it is bloat.

My 2 cents worth....
    Don't believe that was me.
    I'm more the 2026 enrollment cliff (that we're seeing the edge of now) siren.
    HS graduation classes are shrinking 10-15% due to the drop in birth rates during the 2008 economic bubble burst.

Higher Ed is changing, and faster than many expected.

And pharmacy practice is down 40-50% in students over the last five years or so…
    The combination of students choosing not to go to college, and the disaster that chain pharmacy practice has become has been toxic to enrollment. Sadly, there are many great places in pharmacy still to work, and the pay will beat most majors at NDSU, but clearly the kids are not hearing that.

I did not know this. They got a new wing put on their building about a decade ago?
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I did not know this. They got a new wing put on their building about a decade ago?
    The tower was built about 5 years ago. Its a mess right now. BTW, the tower was largely privately funded by pharmacists. Yet, NDSU does not seem to understand the importance of that major to the school..... Its a long story, but if you want the scoop, come see me at tailgating.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

With the economic gap between blue collar & white collar diminishing, and costs of education increasing I can envision colleges struggling to maintain enrollment. With selective student debt being absolved, students are going to be reluctant to take on student debt without a re-assurance that theirs will also be wiped clean.