Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Frisco RIVALRY GAME Pregame Thread

Default Re: Frisco RIVALRY GAME Pregame Thread

I’m interested in hearing about SDSU “healthy” scratch players in the days leading up to the game.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Standard practice in FBS, at least 60% of the P5 are doing it. They make offers via third parties (high school coaches, teammates, etc) so the school can't be held directly responsible. Technically tampering, but nobody cares anymore. The 'elite' FBS schools with $100M budgets buy the coaches and players they want.
    I don't think its "standard practice." I think its certainly present though. Plenty of these schools are still abiding by the rules or making something resembling a good faith effort.

TAMU dropped (allegedly) over $30 million on their 2021 recruiting class and it blew up in their face. Tennessee had a locker room fight regarding the money the QB was making this year. USC got all of like 600 receiving yards from their multi-million dollar receiver transfer. Oregon apparently spent about $40 million on their current class.

Plenty of big schools with big money seem to be trying to get this done "right" without selling their souls. I have a feeling that the NCAA is hoping Congress steps in.
    College of Business Alumnus

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I don't think its "standard practice." I think its certainly present though. Plenty of these schools are still abiding by the rules or making something resembling a good faith effort.

TAMU dropped (allegedly) over $30 million on their 2021 recruiting class and it blew up in their face. Tennessee had a locker room fight regarding the money the QB was making this year. USC got all of like 600 receiving yards from their multi-million dollar receiver transfer. Oregon apparently spent about $40 million on their current class.

Plenty of big schools with big money seem to be trying to get this done "right" without selling their souls. I have a feeling that the NCAA is hoping Congress steps in.
    I believe the NIL money is coming from outside the schools. Not sure how much the schools can be involved with diverting funds to different recruits, but the money isn't coming FROM the schools. I'm sure there is a close connection in some cases, and there could be conditions in the terms tied to specific schools. A booster of a specific school may be more likely to tie the NIL money to a specific school while national brands (i.e. shoes, retail) may be more general.

I knew NIL would be a more about recruiting than performance. I didn't expect the numbers to be this big, but that's where we are. This will continue to cause issues in the locker room.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I’m interested in hearing about SDSU “healthy” scratch players in the days leading up to the game.
    how many trick plays does stiggy do
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    how many trick plays does stiggy do
    They will have 1 or 2. I bet we use 1 as well.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I believe the NIL money is coming from outside the schools. Not sure how much the schools can be involved with diverting funds to different recruits, but the money isn't coming FROM the schools. I'm sure there is a close connection in some cases, and there could be conditions in the terms tied to specific schools. A booster of a specific school may be more likely to tie the NIL money to a specific school while national brands (i.e. shoes, retail) may be more general.

I knew NIL would be a more about recruiting than performance. I didn't expect the numbers to be this big, but that's where we are. This will continue to cause issues in the locker room.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Yes, technically "outside" the school from boosters, but the NILs get their direction from the Coaches on who to go target. They contact them via 3rd parties to have some plausible deniability, but everyone knows its at the direction of the football programs.

It's clearly illegal by the rules, and yet a huge percentage of P5 schools are doing this. The G5 schools watch all their talent get sucked up like a vacuum cleaner. Even lower rung P5s are losing their talent.

"There's more tampering going on than you could ever imagine," Dickert told reporters earlier in the week. "We've had guys contact our players' parents. We had a coach from another school contact one of our players and offer him (an) NIL. A coach."
    Some players have confirmed the tampering fears, too. Pitt linebacker SirVocea Dennis told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review before the season that two schools contacted him earlier in the year despite Dennis never entering his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal. Dennis claims he quickly declined the two offers and told the undisclosed suitors that their actions were in violation of NCAA rules.

“I respectfully told them that what they were trying to do is illegal and it could, actually, ruin my eligibility," Dennis told The Tribune-Review. "If they wanted to talk to me, I would have to have been in the portal already.”
    https://247sports.com/Article/Washin...es--200651323/

It's a broken system at this point, and not sure much can be done to fix it.

Y'all need to discern between illegal as "against the law" vs illegal as "against NCAA rules".

One is definitely illegal and one might be illegal, if it is against the law...
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    They will have 1 or 2. I bet we use 1 as well.
    Hopefully we're ready when they motion the TE to take the snap on short yardage downs.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Y'all need to discern between illegal as "against the law" vs illegal as "against NCAA rules".

One is definitely illegal and one might be illegal, if it is against the law...
    Rule violation vs. Illegal.

To go a bit further: Rule violation < Malum prohibitum < Malum in se.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Rule violation vs. Illegal.

To go a bit further: Rule violation < Malum prohibitum < Malum in se.
    Illegal:
    adjective
    1) forbidden by law or statute.
    2) contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.:
    The referee ruled that it was an illegal forward pass

Tampering during recruiting is by definition illegal per NCAA rules.
    Not all NCAA violations are criminal, however some may be.