Page 781 of 1366 FirstFirst ... 2816817317717797807817827837918318811281 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,810 of 13656

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Somewhere in the 40s perhaps. Along with the Jackrabbits of Brookings.
    There's the top 20 that would beat us most of the time (we win a one off here or there)

but 20-40 is definitely NDSU zone
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Even though you feel it would be eating a crap sandwich, I'm happy to hear yours among the voices who recognize the need to get into FBS, even if it is by way of the CUSA. Which, by the way, I don't believe would be as awful as you think. I think NDSU would help the conference become something better than it is now.
    Would NDSU joining the NEC make them an FCS powerhouse?
    Or OSU joining the MVFC? I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Would NDSU joining the NEC make them an FCS powerhouse?
    Or OSU joining the MVFC? I don't see it.
    I think NDSU would make CUSA stronger in several ways.

First, I believe we would be a perennial top 20 team, which would improve the strength of schedule for the conference.

Second, I think our inclusion would result in a better media deal, by which I mean to say that each member would receive a bigger payout than they would if we weren't in the conference.

Third, I think because of reasons #1 and #2, we wouldn't see so many members in such a hurry to leave. Rather, we might see schools start to have some pride in the CUSA and re-double their efforts to make the conference stronger.

Fourth, I think our presence (especially after a year or two) could attract other schools to consider CUSA (e.g. UCONN, UMASS, SDSU, Missouri State, etc).

Finally, I think with us in the conference, CUSA would then have 3 schools (NDSU, Liberty, and WKU) who would routinely be expected to beat OCC G5s and would be expected to be competitive with OCC P5s. Those three schools would also regularly make bowl appearances and would often beat their bowl opponents. Those things go along way to improve the image of the conference and would inspire other members to step up (especially UTEP).
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I wrote some of this several months ago but here it goes again.

NDSU as an FBS Independent would be interesting to me. Find 16 teams out of all of the FBS to agree to regular home/home arrangements so that you're playing them every other year, every 4 years at home. With 16 of those, you'd have half of your regular schedule, 4 of them at home. Teams that could reasonably be on this list:

Any of the AAC teams
    Any of the SBC teams
    Any of the MAC teams
    Any of the MWC teams
    Any of the CUSA teams
    Minnesota to fill their stadium
    Any bottom feeder P5 team (Vandy / Kentucky / South Carolina / Kansas / Maryland / Rutgers / Northwestern / Arizona / Oregon State / Cal / Boston College / Duke / Wake / Syracuse)

Obviously, not every team from those conferences would make that arrangement with us but out of those 80ish schools, I feel like we'd get several takers. After all, they're trying to fill out their schedules with counters as well.

Add in a high end or high interest FCS team (SDSU / USD / UNI / UND / MSU / UM / etc) as a home game and that brings to you 9 games, 5 of them at home.

Add two P5 teams, now we have a schedule.

Do this for a few years as we woo a conference invite or two. I'd do this before taking a CUSA invitation, mainly because you wouldn't be burdened by any bad decisions that the conference makes over the next few years while it's trying to get its head above water again. At the same time, this would allow for growth in football while the rest of our sports improve to a better mid-major quality. (I'm mainly thinking of basketball here. Our other sports are mostly pretty solid and competing at a fairly high level.)
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I think NDSU would make CUSA stronger in several ways.

First, I believe we would be a perennial top 20 team, which would improve the strength of schedule for the conference.

Second, I think our inclusion would result in a better media deal, by which I mean to say that each member would receive a bigger payout than they would if we weren't in the conference.

Third, I think because of reasons #1 and #2, we wouldn't see so many members in such a hurry to leave. Rather, we might see schools start to have some pride in the CUSA and re-double their efforts to make the conference stronger.

Fourth, I think our presence (especially after a year or two) could attract other schools to consider CUSA (e.g. UCONN, UMASS, SDSU, Missouri State, etc).

Finally, I think with us in the conference, CUSA would then have 3 schools (NDSU, Liberty, and WKU) who would routinely be expected to beat OCC G5s and would be expected to be competitive with OCC P5s. Those three schools would also regularly make bowl appearances and would often beat their bowl opponents. Those things go along way to improve the image of the conference and would inspire other members to step up (especially UTEP).
    Liberty and WKU are middling 5-7 to 9-5 type teams in most recent years.
    Liberty's one great year was the 2020 covid asterisk season that was wacky, sort of like SHSU.
    And even in that "great" year they wouldn't have made a 12 or 16 team CFP.

They were 8-5 last year, and almost lost to a bad USM team last week.
    WKU struggled to put away Austin Peay, and then beat a weak Hawaii team.
    MTSU would be the 3rd best team, they got crushed by JMU.

I see nothing about those teams that screams powerhouse.

You're best argument is #4, but those aren't the teams I would want to see.
    UMass and UConn are great at basketball, and suck at football.
    If they were good at Football, they'd be in a P5 conference.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Delusional, idiotic, moronic. Always with the put downs and name calling. I could probably lob a few insults back at you for what I think of your opinions, but I don't come here to put others down and feel better about myself.

If we make similar strides to what we have in 25 years, being a school of the caliber of Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State is absolutely within reason. Take yourself back to wherever you were in '97 and think how far we've come since then.

Yes it's optimistic and not guaranteed we'll get there. But it's within reason to have that as our goal. Just like the growth of the last 25 years was.
    OK, now you've insulted me without merit and that makes me upset.
    Name calling? No. Name it. I've never done that without providing a reason. Name it or STFU.
    Put downs? No. Same. Put up or STFU.
    Yes, I've called various posters delusional, but not without reason that I've always explained. Truth is some people here truly are delusional. Pointing that out isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I wrote some of this several months ago but here it goes again.

NDSU as an FBS Independent would be interesting to me. Find 16 teams out of all of the FBS to agree to regular home/home arrangements so that you're playing them every other year, every 4 years at home. With 16 of those, you'd have half of your regular schedule, 4 of them at home. Teams that could reasonably be on this list:

Any of the AAC teams
    Any of the SBC teams
    Any of the MAC teams
    Any of the MWC teams
    Any of the CUSA teams
    Minnesota to fill their stadium
    Any bottom feeder P5 team (Vandy / Kentucky / South Carolina / Kansas / Maryland / Rutgers / Northwestern / Arizona / Oregon State / Cal / Boston College / Duke / Wake / Syracuse)

Obviously, not every team from those conferences would make that arrangement with us but out of those 80ish schools, I feel like we'd get several takers. After all, they're trying to fill out their schedules with counters as well.

Add in a high end or high interest FCS team (SDSU / USD / UNI / UND / MSU / UM / etc) as a home game and that brings to you 9 games, 5 of them at home.

Add two P5 teams, now we have a schedule.

Do this for a few years as we woo a conference invite or two. I'd do this before taking a CUSA invitation, mainly because you wouldn't be burdened by any bad decisions that the conference makes over the next few years while it's trying to get its head above water again. At the same time, this would allow for growth in football while the rest of our sports improve to a better mid-major quality. (I'm mainly thinking of basketball here. Our other sports are mostly pretty solid and competing at a fairly high level.)
    Absolutely!

independent is a very tough path, but at least you wouldn't be dragged down this way.
    We need to look at this from the perspective of what might give a reasonable outside shot at the CFP.
    Joining a conference won't likely be for just a couple years, it sets the path.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    this is the way. FARGO > Lawrence or Manhattan or Ames for pete's sake.

Build a 50,000 seat stadium & tell Big 12 we will come.

but we might just have to be CUSA.
    There’s the delusion we love.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Absolutely!

independent is a very tough path, but at least you wouldn't be dragged down this way.
    We need to look at this from the perspective of what might give a reasonable outside shot at the CFP.
    Joining a conference won't likely be for just a couple years, it sets the path.
    I've suggested independence before as well. I'm not sure which one gets me the most pushback--independence or CUSA. I get a ton of pushback with either suggestion, but apparently not necessarily from the same people (although I can think of a couple posters who hate both ideas).
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Delusional, idiotic, moronic. Always with the put downs and name calling. I could probably lob a few insults back at you for what I think of your opinions, but I don't come here to put others down and feel better about myself.

If we make similar strides to what we have in 25 years, being a school of the caliber of Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State is absolutely within reason. Take yourself back to wherever you were in '97 and think how far we've come since then.

Yes it's optimistic and not guaranteed we'll get there. But it's within reason to have that as our goal. Just like the growth of the last 25 years was.
    It's all made up bullshit that's why (see post about being independent which would be completely unrealistic). Nobody has made one single valid point about why or how any FBS conference would want or need NDSU (except CUSA) without making up random rainbow bright garbage.

You don't wanna hear other humans real opinions? Let's all hope and pray like all us Vikings fans every year and then get wailed in the dick when reality hits.

50K stadium...lol.
    Last edited by daddy daycare; 09-07-2022 at 12:31 AM.