Page 723 of 1366 FirstFirst ... 2236236737137217227237247257337738231223 ... LastLast
Results 7,221 to 7,230 of 13655

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Being an independent wouldn't be ideal, but if we were in the CUSA and it folded, wouldn't the NCAA have to let teams that can't find a home go the independent route?
    I would think yes. It’s my thought that if we went CUSA football only we’d likely be independent in a few years. Some people don’t see an issue with that.

I think we have a very, very hard time filling a schedule with 12 games and getting 6 home games.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    I keep hearing this "go FBS anywhere so we get to a better conference" enough I need to debunk it. No counting this year's announcements, there have been a total of 31 FCS to FBS teams, not including the total failure of FAMU. Just 1(UCF, joined FBS 1996) got a P5 invite, and it took 26 years for the 2nd highest enrollment university in the country to get it.
    MWC is widely considered the best G5. Former FCS they added were SDSU(joined 1969), UNLV(1978), Nevada(1992), and Boise St(1996).
    The idea that we can just move up the ladder is not backed up by history.
    The MW has only been in existence since 1999. The PCAA/Big West was not 1AA. None of the 4 you mentioned were direct from 1AA or FCS when added to the MW. I am not saying you can't or won't be added to the MW, just that no one ever has made the jump from FCS directly to the MW.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I keep hearing this "go FBS anywhere so we get to a better conference" enough I need to debunk it. No counting this year's announcements, there have been a total of 31 FCS to FBS teams, not including the total failure of FAMU. Just 1(UCF, joined FBS 1996) got a P5 invite, and it took 26 years for the 2nd highest enrollment university in the country to get it.
    MWC is widely considered the best G5. Former FCS they added were SDSU(joined 1969), UNLV(1978), Nevada(1992), and Boise St(1996).
    knowledge bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    We are shooting for FBS. And I'm sorry...but I actually find those teams somewhat intriguing. In any case, I find them relevant because they are FBS. If we are in their conference, that means we are FBS. If we are FBS, we get to play even better teams OOC. Right now we get to regularly play really "relevant" teams like WIU, YSU, and Drake. Oh, and we get the priviledge of playing a mediocre FBS team every 7 years or so.

Regarding those saying we would lose revenue, how about negotiating. Maybe we could negotiate with the CUSA that NDSU can independently have a side media deal to make up for any loss of revenue from whatever the CUSA deal brings. In any case, figure out a way to make it work.
    The FBS label doesn't make them relevant. You wanna see an empty fargodome go ahead and join that conference.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Your missing one small detail...each one of those schools was fully transitioned and proved they could be successful at 1A football before getting a MWC invite.

There are only 3 realistic paths forward for NDSU to move to FBS. Each has it's merits and draw backs. Any other scenario, especially the one where we keep doing business "as is" and patiently wait by the phone is a pipe dream.

1. Join a fledgling CUSA, complete the transition and gradually fund the AD so our budget is up to the MWC/AAC mean and pray for a MWC/AAC invite.

2. Pray that we could get an exemption like Liberty and move Football to FBS as an Independent. Win some bowl games and prove we belong and then hope for a MWC/AAC invite.

3. Remain in FCS and fundraise so that our athletic department is transition ready with a mid tier MWC/AAC budget baked in. Bring all athletic facilities up to a top level G5 standard. Build a new basketball arena where Dacotah field is and hire a coach that elevates the program to a solid mid major. Once achieved we pray that the Valley decides to move up to FBS and invites us as a full member or hope the PAC/Big XII expand and blow up the MWC/AAC forcing them into panic mode.
    Last edited by AKBison; 08-23-2022 at 10:20 PM.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Your missing one small detail...each one of those schools was fully transitioned and proved they could be successful at 1A football before getting a MWC invite.
    Sure, if you're cherry picking the successes it looks great. How many fully transitioned and fell into obscurity? Note that all the MWC call-ups are solidly in their footprint.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tball_programs
    Sort by Joined FBS date. What percentage of those schools would you consider to be a successfull jump?

Let’s take this discussion in a different direction

Question for taper and daddy daycare – what FBS conference would you be OK with NDSU joining, and under what terms?

I get the impression that you are both very attached to UND but given the fact that they subsidize heavily already to "match" NDSU, I see no possibility of them ever making the jump to FBS because of $$. Hockey is a very expensive sport, and they might have to reinstate WIH soon. So please leave them off the table in your answer to the above question

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

Question for taper and daddy daycare – what FBS conference would you be OK with NDSU joining, and under what terms?

I get the impression that you are both very attached to UND but given the fact that they subsidize heavily already to "match" NDSU, I see no possibility of them ever making the jump to FBS because of $$. Hockey is a very expensive sport, and they might have to reinstate WIH soon. So please leave them off the table in your answer to the above question
    I've been on record and continue to say I'd like to see us and SDSU in the MAC. I think that's a great fit on basically all fronts. Problem is the MAC doesn't seem to feel the need to expand. I think MWC is a fantasy because we're simply not a mutual good fit and they have a lot of other options before getting down to us. CUSA is a dumpster fire we should avoid at all costs. P5, Sunbelt, and AAC are essentially impossible so I'm not considering them. If the NCAA landscape is completely upset and a nationwide realignment is forced upon us, the Dakotas, Montanas, plus a few others would make a solid FBS conference. Very low chance of that happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post

Attached to UND makes me laugh. Like NDSU is USC and UND/SDSU are Northland Tech. Any school mentioned above (Liberty, WKU) wouldn't bring near the atmosphere of UND or SDSU, hate to break it to you (history, geography, conference game and or playoff loser goes home).

What would be OK? Under what terms? Who the fuck knows. There is no easy solution like James Madison walked into. All sports or football only? That's a bigger pickle. Football only and bury the rest of NDSU athletics? Have fun with that.

So what is OK? Haven't seen it posted here...and apparently the NDSU admin hasn't either.

Good to banter about though.

I've been on record and continue to say I'd like to see us and SDSU in the MAC. I think that's a great fit on basically all fronts. Problem is the MAC doesn't seem to feel the need to expand. I think MWC is a fantasy because we're simply not a mutual good fit and they have a lot of other options before getting down to us. CUSA is a dumpster fire we should avoid at all costs. P5, Sunbelt, and AAC are essentially impossible so I'm not considering them. If the NCAA landscape is completely upset and a nationwide realignment is forced upon us, the Dakotas, Montanas, plus a few others would make a solid FBS conference. Very low chance of that happening though.
    I'm down with that. Common sense and logic. You just type it better.