Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: More legislative shenanigans by Al Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    This shit is so bananas.

They treated people as property because of the color of their skin, but I’m the racist?
    Yeah I'm so glad George Washington invented slavery bro.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Of course we have to degrade the founders based on slavery and fact that they were white males. (Racism 101; denigrate a group on the color of their skin) But this is the very sad state of the republic; the leftists have no idea of the history of the country and make it overly simplistic to fit their views.

I'd suggest everyone listen to Dan Carlin's Human Resources (history of North American slave trade) podcast and learn something. Dan, who is very liberal, thinks we must view people with the framework of the time they lived, not today's societies values. I agree with him 100%. He spends a ton of time talking about the contradiction that was Thomas Jefferson. It was fascinating. For all his flaws, he knew slavery's time was limited and had to go, but leftist now simply denigrate him and other founders rather than appreciate the complexity of the time/situation.

Those same slave holding founders, constructed, through a series of compromises, and ingenious incite into human behavior, a Constitution that bound the country together. Even more amazingly, that same Constitution was amended to eliminate slavery and the legislative process eventually extended true freedom to all. This happened in less than 200 years, which is a microcosm of time compared to how long slavery was ingrained in the world. (Remember, this goes back to Biblical times, although chattel slavery was much worse than much of the Biblical slavery.)

No one should be ashamed of being an American or our past. I damn proud to live in a country that somehow eliminated one of the great evils in the history of the world. We had amazing founders who figured out how to balance the needs of urban versus rural. We all need to understand that for the system to function correctly, often decisions need/will to be made we don't agree with. Instead of viewing the opposing view as the enemy, remember they are doing what they think is best and the system is working exactly how designed. That itself, is a compromise.
    I am definitely proud of this country. Over the course of time, shitty things happen and we evolve. Women couldn't even open a bank account without a husband until the 1960's. That doesn't mean every make who was alive then is an evil sexist and should be shamed. It was illegal for interracial marriage up until the 1960's. Does that mean everyone who was alive back then is a racist and should be erased? 20 years ago, anti gay slurs were pretty normal. Now they are offensive. Sexual harassment used to be part of every day work culture. Drinking and Driving used to mean the cop would follow you home or give you a ride. They used to be able to deny a loan based on race or gender.

Basically every generation has done some shitty things and they will continue to do shitty things.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I am definitely proud of this country. Over the course of time, shitty things happen and we evolve. Women couldn't even open a bank account without a husband until the 1960's. That doesn't mean every make who was alive then is an evil sexist and should be shamed. It was illegal for interracial marriage up until the 1960's. Does that mean everyone who was alive back then is a racist and should be erased? 20 years ago, anti gay slurs were pretty normal. Now they are offensive. Sexual harassment used to be part of every day work culture. Drinking and Driving used to mean the cop would follow you home or give you a ride. They used to be able to deny a loan based on race or gender.

Basically every generation has done some shitty things and they will continue to do shitty things.
    Our generation has lakes.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Changing the State Constitution can be raised to 60%, fine by me. The US Senate has a good gig going. Can be frustrating at times but I like the filibuster rule. Truth is, most of the Senators do too. Many claim they don't that actually do.
    Simple. It gives them cover. You're right, they like the rule because they like having that cover.

Just to expand a little on a prior rant.

The Founding Fathers weren't perfect, but folks didn't put statues of them for the evil they did, but for the good.

That's the difference I see between statues of, say, Washington and Jefferson vs Confederate "heroes". The "good" that all those Confederate fucks did was being traitors and fighting to preserve and protect slavery. And they were put up by people who thought the evil they did was awesome. Fuck them all.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Just to expand a little on a prior rant.

The Founding Fathers weren't perfect, but folks didn't put statues of them for the evil they did, but for the good.

That's the difference I see between statues of, say, Washington and Jefferson vs Confederate "heroes". The "good" that all those Confederate fucks did was being traitors and fighting to preserve and protect slavery. And they were put up by people who thought the evil they did was awesome. Fuck them all.
    No. They put the statues up to remind the sioux Indians who won. Right on their holy ground. It's actually more fucked up to me than slavery eh. No joke.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post

Who here is trying to erase the founding fathers? Jefferson was a genius. If all he’d done was supervise the construction of Monticello he’d probably deserve to be remembered. If all he’d done was kick start the Library of Congress he’d probably deserve to be remembered. He bought Louisiana. He wrote the Declaration of Independence. The Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom and founded UVA. He owned 600 humans.

Just acknowledge the shitty things so we can try to do better going forward.

No one is a racist today just because they happen to enjoy disproportionate representation in the Senate. But just because it’s been that way from the beginning isn’t a reason not to want to change it so we can continue with the business of creating a more perfect union.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Building things to disconnect us from the spirit world eh. Medicine man told me that yesterday bros and that too is no joke eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    No. They put the statues up to remind the sioux Indians who won. Right on their holy ground. It's actually more fucked up to me than slavery eh. No joke.
    You scamp.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Also, we were way behind the curve in eliminating slavery and it took a civil war to do it.

And the disproportionate representation that still exists at the federal level is a legacy of the compromises made at the founding because of slavery that we still haven’t expunged from our system. Our efforts to creat a more perfect union continue.
    you do realize that African tribes provided the slaves for the slave ships and that slavery still exist in Africa today.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN