Page 539 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 394394895295375385395405415495896391039 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,390 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

A loss is a loss tho.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

screw sdsu. they lost by 9. down by 14.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Not sure the Providence is a legit top 15 team. They’ve been living in the luck box all season.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Not sure the Providence is a legit top 15 team. They’ve been living in the luck box all season.
    By most measures I found they are top 15. Human polls, computer polls, committee seeding. The Big East has solid teams even at the bottom of their conference. 8 teams in the top 70 by NET rating (this is the one place Providence was 33). DePaul 103 Butler 121. Georgetown struggled this year but they were still 193. That would have put them 4th in the Summit behind the Bison.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    By most measures I found they are top 15. Human polls, computer polls, committee seeding. The Big East has solid teams even at the bottom of their conference. 8 teams in the top 70 by NET rating (this is the one place Providence was 33). DePaul 103 Butler 121. Georgetown struggled this year but they were still 193. That would have put them 4th in the Summit behind the Bison.

KenPom had them around 50th before the tournament started.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    KenPom had them around 50th before the tournament started.
    Sagarin has Providence at #32 now after their first round win. Meanwhile UND is #345 out of 358 teams. Three of the Summit League teams are in the bottom 10% of the Sagarin ratings.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Sagarin has Providence at #32 now after their first round win. Meanwhile UND is #345 out of 358 teams. Three of the Summit League teams are in the bottom 10% of the Sagarin ratings.
    The fact that the summit isn’t a great league isn’t in dispute. How good is Providence? That's the question. if KenPom says 50 and Sagarin says 35, that doesn’t sound like legit top 15 to me.

we need some realignment news.. its been way too quiet
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Providence lost 5 games this season. 2 of them to Villanova who is a #2 seed. Creighton in the B1G tournament 2 weeks after they beat them. Marquette who is a tournament at large team. And Virginia who is good but not great early in the season. They beat Wisconsin, Northwestern, St. Peters(!), Texas Tech and Vermont, all tournament teams in the non-conference. And SDSU played with them outside of the last few minutes of the first half. It sounds like Providence played a different style then they normally play to slow down the high scoring offense of SDSU. Thanks to the Richmond upset of Iowa they have a good shot at Sweet 16. That does involve some luck. But Richmond won't be an easy out either.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Providence lost 5 games this season. 2 of them to Villanova who is a #2 seed. Creighton in the B1G tournament 2 weeks after they beat them. Marquette who is a tournament at large team. And Virginia who is good but not great early in the season. They beat Wisconsin, Northwestern, St. Peters(!), Texas Tech and Vermont, all tournament teams in the non-conference. And SDSU played with them outside of the last few minutes of the first half. It sounds like Providence played a different style then they normally play to slow down the high scoring offense of SDSU. Thanks to the Richmond upset of Iowa they have a good shot at Sweet 16. That does involve some luck. But Richmond won't be an easy out either.

Providence is good but they're probably closer to top 30-35 than top 15. They do have the nice wins you mentioned but they have a lot of close wins against teams that aren't good, like beating a bad Butler team 3 times by a combined 14 points (including once in OT). Their total point differential and record in close games suggest they overachieved quite a bit this year.