Page 47 of 83 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your favorite JMU dynasty moment?

Default Re: What was your favorite JMU dynasty moment?

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    LOL "look the fcs is awesome, just look! They have 25 teams in the top 25!! How can you get better than that?!"
    very insightful!

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Oh, I don’t know. How ‘bout NDSU playing in the best FCS conference?
    How about recent improvements by Missouri State, Southern Illinois, even the Fighting Hawks?
    How about other improving programs like Cal Davis, East Tennessee, Monmouth and others?

How about interesting coaching hires? Montana bringing back their legend. Montana State hired the QB Whisperer. Deion Sanders. Eddie George. And probably more as I don’t follow it closely. Programs can be built. Or rebuilt like Craig Bohl did.

How about 5, possibly 9 legitimate FCS title contenders, as it sits now?
    Hey! JMU @ Weber State this weekend, hope to check it out.

RANK…..SCHOOL…….RECORD…POINTS…PREVIOUS

1 Sam Houston (25) 2-0 697 1
    2 James Madison (1) 2-0 657 2
    3 South Dakota State (2) 2-0 641 3
    4 North Dakota State 2-0 601 4
    5 Montana 2-0 599 5
    6 Eastern Washington 2-0 522 8
    7 Delaware 2-0 521 6
    8 Weber State 1-1 439 10
    T-9 Southern Illinois 1-1 422 9
    T-9 Villanova 2-0 422 11
    11 Jacksonville State 1-1 397 17
    12 UC Davis 2-0 383 12
    13 Montana State 1-1 361 13
    14 North Dakota 1-1 356 7
    15 Northern Iowa 1-1 330 15
    16 Southeastern Louisiana 1-1 298 14
    17 East Tennessee State 2-0 269 19
    18 Richmond 2-0 183 22
    19 Missouri State 1-1 180 25
    20 Monmouth (N.J.) 1-1 170 21
    21 Austin Peay 1-1 131 18
    22 Chattanooga 1-1 103 24
    23 New Hampshire 2-0 71 NR
    24 Central Arkansas 0-2 64 16
    25 Furman 2-0 58 NR
    Dropped Out: VMI (20), Kennesaw St. (23)

Others Receiving Votes: VMI, 53; Kennesaw St., 41; Jackson St., 19; Nicholls, 18; Alabama A&M, 17; South Dakota, 14; Duquesne, 13; Rhode Island, 13; Charleston Southern, 11; Stephen F. Austin, 8; Gardner-Webb, 5; Murray St., 5; Southern Utah, 3; Florida A&M, 2; Yale, 2; Princeton, 1.
    East Tennessee? I have literally never heard of them. Monmouth? Sounds like a place where they play field hockey and LaCrosse. Missouri State? Southern Illinois?

If this is what is supposed to get NDSU fans excited then this just isn't going to work.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I should dig up all 20yo threads where this was discussed, but it's not nearly the same situation. The bang-for-the-buck for going from FCS to FBS is pretty minor compared to that of going from D2 to DI (Big Dance.)

I don't think that it's even debatable that college sports are regional in nature.

In our region, Bemidji State, Black Hills State, Concordia-St Paul, Crookston, UMary, Minn State-Moorhead, Minot State, Northern State, Sioux Falls, SD School of Mines, SW Minnesota State, Winona State had either moved to D2 or were on their way. We've had Augustana and St. Thomas and the UxDs move up to DI - not thrilled about Augie, but the other 3 are just fine even if I much preferred it when it was just us and SDSU. It's not like we're in JMU's shoes - they've seen a ton of schools in their area move to the FBS so they are being left behind.

Moreover, D2 was a complete clusterfuck. Delta State getting home field, regionalization, the uselessness and backbiting of NDSU's own conference, the Simple Rating System, scholarship drops, etc. There was not a single issue in which D2 was going in the right direction for NDSU.

I'm in a minority in that I wouldn't care all that much if JMU went FBS - it's not like we recruit against them for fans, eyeballs, or students. Now, if somebody in our region goes, that's a whole different animal (the Montana schools or, even worse, SDSU.)

The other thing is that people seem to have forgotten how much planning, commitment, and effort went into going DI. It was all hands on deck. What disturbs me is that too many people think that NDSU will go FBS and immediately win without breaking a sweat. Yeah, some big dog donors might say that they're withholding money now because NDSU is not FBS - but with that lack of commitment to NDSU, I'm not sure that they'd be reliable partners in either the short or long term for a difficult move to an FBS conference.

All that said, if the Mountain West calls, NDSU has to answer.
    Thank you Tony!
    Was not sure he was serious……
    People can be so hung up on the label FCS
    that they don’t see, or lately appreciate, the product
    NDSU puts on the field.

NDSU has proven many times what level of football they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    East Tennessee? I have literally never heard of them. Monmouth? Sounds like a place where they play field hockey and LaCrosse. Missouri State? Southern Illinois?

If this is what is supposed to get NDSU fans excited then this just isn't going to work.
    Three teams in the top 15 got boat-raced by UAB, Utah State and Utah

I agree with Bruin's point about not trashing FCS, but we are literally at the point as a fan base where we are hoping our opponents are getting better so they can catch up to us. What a weird feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    If NDSU stays in the FCS, then they need to embrace what FCS is and start funding their basketball team at a much higher level to get the fan interest maximized on that side. Take advantage of what FCS is. A place where mid major schools can control football costs in order to fund their basketball program at a higher level and gain more national notoriety through basketball which is less costly. I don't care if we remain in the Summit or not, blow the other schools in the conference out of the water and become the Gonzaga of the Summit and make the NCAA every year. That is the only way I see staying in the FCS as a viable decision for the Athletic Department and the School.
    This, absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Three teams in the top 15 got boat-raced by UAB, Utah State and Utah

I agree with Bruin's point about not trashing FCS, but we are literally at the point as a fan base where we are hoping our opponents are getting better so they can catch up to us. What a weird feeling
    No shame in getting clowned by Utah... but the others...woof
    College of Business Alumnus

BigLakeBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thank you Tony!
    NDSU puts on the field.

NDSU has proven many times what level of football they are playing.
    The issue isn't with NDSU, it's with the rest of FCS. There's not a lot of team in FCS that are comparable to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    AAC or bust. They need 4 teams, take a swing
    Any FBS conference with a pulse or bust....Indy or bust. FCS football is 85% garbage and that might be generous. Can't afford to lose JMU...FCS in the southeast has already been gutted.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    The issue isn't with NDSU, it's with the rest of FCS. There's not a lot of team in FCS that are comparable to NDSU.
    My contention is that college sports are regional and in our region, the FCS schools are our peers (other than Augie.) What happens in California or the East Coast really doesn't affect NDSU much. Example: I freaking hated Jacksonville State when they were in D2 but I didn't really care when they went DI.

If the right FBS conference opportunity comes along, then, yeah, NDSU should jump at it, but it is going to take a mammoth effort to come up with cash for 7-figure coaching salaries and the insane increase in travel expenses (unless we go football only), but the groundwork for this move needed to be done over the last decade: Raising NDSU's academic profile, increasing enrollment to 20k, pumping money into basketball, etc. While some of the work has been done, the best time to start on the rest of it is right now. And right now, NDSU doesn't even have a President - the new hire is going to be critical because nothing will doom a move like this more quickly than having a President who is not 100% behind it.

Thank you Tony!
    NDSU puts on the field.

NDSU has proven many times what level of football they are playing

The ENTIRE point is about everyone BESIDES NDSU. NDSU puts out an incredible product because its an institutional priority. We're embarrassed by everyone ELSE, not NDSU.
    2 things can be true at once:
    1. You can be proud of your team
    AND
    2. You can be disappointed by how f*cking pathetic everyone else is at your level.

These are not mutually exclusive
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS