Page 95 of 422 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    102 QB rating.....yep, he is horrible.
    Justin Jefferson had a better rating, and he's a receiver. So lets not get too butt hurt about a passer rating, shall we?

Having a good "official NFL" QB passer rating means jack shit. If it did, then Kirk Cousins is a better QB than Tom Brady, per the "official NFL" passer rating over his career. I'm sure Kirk would have just as many Super Bowls though if he played for the Pats.

Default Re: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Justin Jefferson had a better rating, and he's a receiver. So lets not get too butt hurt about a passer rating, shall we?

Having a good "official NFL" QB passer rating means jack shit. If it did, then Kirk Cousins is a better QB than Tom Brady, per the "official NFL" passer rating over his career. I'm sure Kirk would have just as many Super Bowls though if he played for the Pats.
    Does 251 yards with 2 TD and 0 INT, with 65% completion rate and 7 yards per attempt paint a clearer picture for you?

No “efficiency” type statistic (or any statistic in general) tells a complete story. Looking at the all time leader list, QB rating generally has a pretty good way of figuring out good QBs.

Generally, Wentz had a pretty good game on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Does 251 yards with 2 TD and 0 INT, with 65% completion rate and 7 yards per attempt paint a clearer picture for you?

No “efficiency” type statistic (or any statistic in general) tells a complete story. Looking at the all time leader list, QB rating generally has a pretty good way of figuring out good QBs.

Can you point out where I said he didn't have a good game? I'd be interested to see that, since I never said it or suggested it.
    Obviously, you cannot provide such info, so let's just skip that step, unless you want to dig a deeper hole with made up stories. My comment was strictly about how the passer rating in week 1 should be completely ignored or ignored in general but people on here are getting butt hurt over it.

And just as an FYI I did look at the all time leader list for passer rating.... only 11 of the top 35 all time "passer rating leaders" via NFL passer rating have won a super bowl and one of them was Nick Foles, who took over for Carson to win his. Which is why no one really should care about a passer rating. Again, if you did, then you'd prefer Kirk Cousins over Tom Brady. or Carson Palmer over Eli Manning, Brett Favre, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikmen, etc...Chad Pennington is the 21st best QB ever, tied with Teddy Bridgewater for that award, if you want to go by passer rating per the NFL. Remember David Garrard? Me either, but he's better than Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, John Elway, and Fran Tarkenton I guess.

Kirk Cousin is the 6th best QB of all time supposedly if this stat means much long term. Good for him! Not so much for the teams he plays for though.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I concur. It’s got some clutch garbage in it too. I think they thought that the “traditional” passer rating was incomprehensible because it’s on a weird scale, ignored running plays, weights are made up out of thin air, etc. so they tried to build their own thing on a hundred point scale that was easier to understand. But it’s just a somewhat more easily digestible garbage stat.
    QBR tries to put more weight on what the QB actually contributed to a play and eliminate contributions of his teammates. If he throws the ball 30 yards downfield for a completion it's worth more than a screen pass that eventually goes for 30 yards. He gets penalized less for an interception if the ball bounces off an open receivers hands before being picked off. In the end though the explanation for how it's calculated is just as convoluted as QB rating's is, though I do think it's a little better than the traditional QB rating.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Can you point out where I said he didn't have a good game? I'd be interested to see that, since I never said it or suggested it.
    Obviously, you cannot provide such info, so let's just skip that step, unless you want to dig a deeper hole with made up stories. My comment was strictly about how the passer rating in week 1 should be completely ignored or ignored in general but people on here are getting butt hurt over it.

And just as an FYI I did look at the all time leader list for passer rating.... only 11 of the top 35 all time "passer rating leaders" via NFL passer rating have won a super bowl and one of them was Nick Foles, who took over for Carson to win his. Which is why no one really should care about a passer rating. Again, if you did, then you'd prefer Kirk Cousins over Tom Brady. or Carson Palmer over Eli Manning, Brett Favre, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikmen, etc...Chad Pennington is the 21st best QB ever, tied with Teddy Bridgewater for that award, if you want to go by passer rating per the NFL. Remember David Garrard? Me either, but he's better than Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, John Elway, and Fran Tarkenton I guess.

Kirk Cousin is the 6th best QB of all time supposedly if this stat means much long term. Good for him! Not so much for the teams he plays for though.
    Lol can you point out where I say that you said he had a bad game? Yeesh, for someone who apparently gets so butthurt about people putting words in their mouth, you certainly like putting words in other people's mouth. "Made up stories" haha

Since words seem to be tough for you, here's a bullet list summary of my previous post:

1) Gave other statistics to provide context on Carson's QB rating
    2) Argued no one statistic tells a complete story (this is where I agreed with you)
    3) Opined that Generally, QB rating does a decent job of listing the top QBs of all time (this is where you can't get seem to get over that QB rating isn't perfect and are hung up on some Kirk Cousins obsession)
    4) Stated that Carson Wentz had a good game
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    QBR tries to put more weight on what the QB actually contributed to a play and eliminate contributions of his teammates. If he throws the ball 30 yards downfield for a completion it's worth more than a screen pass that eventually goes for 30 yards. He gets penalized less for an interception if the ball bounces off an open receivers hands before being picked off. In the end though the explanation for how it's calculated is just as convoluted as QB rating's is, though I do think it's a little better than the traditional QB rating.
    I’ve done some reading on QBR and apparently they only discount low leverage plays now and don’t reward high leverage plays. So I like that change from the original formula. Not sure how they are doing the adjustment for the quality of the defense especially early in a season. Also apportioning credit among the players involved doesn’t seems like a straight forward task.

Measuring individual contributions in football in some objective way is way harder than say trying to accurately assess defensive skill in baseball. Quarterbacks so clearly contribute outsized value though that the juice is worth the squeeze but you’re going to have to spit out a seed or two.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

https://twitter.com/i/status/1437113955739070465

Watch this in full screen and pause it as much as possible... then watch it in real time.

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post

FWIW, I wouldn't use 7 ypa as a sign of a positive. His 6.6 ypa would have been good enough for bottom 10 in NFL last year right there with Daniel Jones and Drew Lock.

I thought he was fine on Sunday. Not good, not bad, but OK. Hopefully, he will pick things up as he gets up to speed after missing the entire preseason building connections with the team.

I'd like to see them stretch the field a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    FWIW, I wouldn't use 7 ypa as a sign of a positive. His 6.6 ypa would have been good enough for bottom 10 in NFL last year right there with Daniel Jones and Drew Lock.

I thought he was fine on Sunday. Not good, not bad, but OK. Hopefully, he will pick things up as he gets up to speed after missing the entire preseason building connections with the team.

I'd like to see them stretch the field a bit more.
    Yeah, you're right it's not great or even good. Just wanted to include all non QB rating statistics
    *one day later*

The Colts will be featured in the first ever regular season version of Hark Knocks on HBO. First episode to air on Wednesday 11/17.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eason-episodes