Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 enrollment

Default Re: 2021 enrollment

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    And Jamestown wants to build an amusement park with everyone else's money. Jamestown couldn't support a 2nd Subway or McDonald's
    Fixed your post for you.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

I'll just comment isn't lakes proximity that drives people to Fargo vs Grand Forks. Plenty of lakes on MN side from Grand Forks comparable to Fargo IMO. Heck not even sure I'd want to deal with the lakes on MN side anymore with the amount of traffic that is on them but that's just me.

I'd say that lakes for about 30-40% of Fargo population has any bearing at all. Probably 10-15% really made it their priority when choosing Fargo. If "all" your friends/coworkers have lake places then it's because of the crowd you associate with. A handful of mine do and most time it's not even theirs it's a "close" relative usually.

That said we can bag on GF county and GF town but hopefully everyone realizes the devastating effect the flood of 98 had on their population. 1990 they had just over 70,000 residents in the county 2000 they dropped 4,000 from that number but what was it prior to that 74,000 ish? They probably lost more in the early 2000s, but I couldn't find anything that had year to year estimates. That plays a factor for something they didn't plan/decide/ask for. Obviously I don't think they were on a trajectory that would have surpassed Cass/Fargo but they were in line to be similar to Bismarck/Burleigh is now.

I agree with Tony the Sheyenne River Valley is much more scenic than RRV. But everyone is different I'd say outdoor recreation was last on my list when I decided to live in the area. If it wasn't I'd been much farther west as that's where I do most of my outdoor recreating. I'd say family/kids/friends is keeping me where I'm at now and wouldn't like/want to give that up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I'll just comment isn't lakes proximity that drives people to Fargo vs Grand Forks. Plenty of lakes on MN side from Grand Forks comparable to Fargo IMO. Heck not even sure I'd want to deal with the lakes on MN side anymore with the amount of traffic that is on them but that's just me.

I'd say that lakes for about 30-40% of Fargo population has any bearing at all. Probably 10-15% really made it their priority when choosing Fargo. If "all" your friends/coworkers have lake places then it's because of the crowd you associate with. A handful of mine do and most time it's not even theirs it's a "close" relative usually.

That said we can bag on GF county and GF town but hopefully everyone realizes the devastating effect the flood of 98 had on their population. 1990 they had just over 70,000 residents in the county 2000 they dropped 4,000 from that number but what was it prior to that 74,000 ish? They probably lost more in the early 2000s, but I couldn't find anything that had year to year estimates. That plays a factor for something they didn't plan/decide/ask for. Obviously I don't think they were on a trajectory that would have surpassed Cass/Fargo but they were in line to be similar to Bismarck/Burleigh is now.

I agree with Tony the Sheyenne River Valley is much more scenic than RRV. But everyone is different I'd say outdoor recreation was last on my list when I decided to live in the area. If it wasn't I'd been much farther west as that's where I do most of my outdoor recreating. I'd say family/kids/friends is keeping me where I'm at now and wouldn't like/want to give that up.
    I said many people because dumb ass said zero people live here in part because of access to lakes area. I would say the 15% you guessed is a fair number if you count the entire metro of 250k, which is almost 40k people

But Grand Forks had issues before the flood. From 1970 to 1980 they only grew 8%. From 1980 to 1990 they only grew at 6%. Cass County grew 20% and 17% during the same period

Winnipeg grew plenty fast after they were devastated by the flood in the 60s

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I, for one, really like the countryside around Jamestown and Valley City... kind of like a greener Morton County.
    And they both have lakes.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I said many people because dumb ass said zero people live here in part because of access to lakes area. I would say the 15% you guessed is a fair number if you count the entire metro of 250k, which is almost 40k people
    Or they live at the lake and commute into Fargo-Moorhead.

I've worked with at least 7-8 people in the last 20 years that do this.

BigLakeBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think the Fargo Moorhead metro area has become a pretty great place to live, work and play. There are a fair number of career opportunities, the cost of living is relatively affordable, traffic and commuting isn't horrible, there are becoming more and more opportunities for entertainment all the time, the airport has decent flight options for a community the size of Fargo and it's location in relation to other points of interest (Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, Winnipeg, Minnesota Lakes Country) is beneficial. The last point may not be the biggest factor in people's choice to live there but it sure doesn't hurt to know that you can jump on 94 or 29 and within a few hours be able to drive to another fairly decent size metro area. No place is perfect but I think the FM area has quite a bit to offer for its size.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    And they both have lakes.
    To visit yes, but there isn't the same inventory of cabins and homes in the Jamestown area. I did a search and there are a whopping 2 lake houses on the market at Spiritwood Lake and 9 considered to be "lake front" in Jamestown and they were all on a reservoir that looks smaller than the retention pond they are digging in south Fargo

Of course if you live in Valley City or Jamestown... that's a nice drive to work every day.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Lots of people do that too. I have a work buddy who lives in Lake Park and it's only like 30-40 minute drive. Personally I wouldn't want to drive much further than that to Fargo but the diversion did study and it showed a huge number of lakes area people who would lose their jobs if the Red flooded.

To visit yes, but there isn't the same inventory of cabins and homes in the Jamestown area. I did a search and there are a whopping 2 lake houses on the market at Spiritwood Lake and 9 considered to be "lake front" in Jamestown and they were all on a reservoir that looks smaller than the retention pond they are digging in south Fargo

Of course if you live in Valley City or Jamestown... that's a nice drive to work every day.
    The reservoir is like 3 square miles. Where is this giant retention pond getting dug at?
    College of Business Alumnus