Page 132 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1683

Thread: Summit Expansion?

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The whole media market concept is becomingly increasingly obsolete since the days of cable TV is going away and there are more options to watch games.

That same media market concept gave the Big Ten Rutgers who does nothing for their brand. They've won 10 games in Football since 2015. They are barely the most popular college football team in the city of New York and nobody outside of New York cares. It's a pro sports town. Large metros are becoming increasingly less native. Example in New York, there are just as many Notre Dame and Penn State fans as Rutgers fans. Fans of those teams won't buy the BTN because of Rutgers. Maybe it will help Rutgers with attendance but 2019 only sold 30K tickets per game with 50% no shows.

Kansas State would have been ten times the addition to the Big Ten despite being in a smaller market. Kansas state has half the enrollment and half the endowment but people care about K State football. Their ratings vs other Big Ten teams would be much better than Rutgers.

Nebraska was a very smart move. Lincoln is a much smaller media market but the Huskers are the entire state of Nebraska and everyone wants to watch them.

On a smaller scale, that's like saying a conference should pick UMKC over NDSU or SDSU because Kansas City is bigger than North and South Dakota combined, even though more eyeballs watch NDSU and SDSU.
    Agreed that ratings might not be the driver but to pretend that media market concept is obsolete is way off. By adding Rutgers (and Maryland), the B1G was able to get the cable companies all along the east coasst to add the B1G Network to the standard lineup (instead of a optional subscriptions) and significantly increasing payouts to member schools. I would venture to guess that anyone who's looking at the financial windfall that came from those two additions would vehenmently disagree that adding KSU would have been more beneficial.

I do agree that it isn't quite as applicable when you're talking mid and low major conferences (though there is something to the recruiting portion of it) but when you're talking P5, its all about what it does for the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Agreed that ratings might not be the driver but to pretend that media market concept is obsolete is way off. By adding Rutgers (and Maryland), the B1G was able to get the cable companies all along the east coasst to add the B1G Network to the standard lineup (instead of a optional subscriptions) and significantly increasing payouts to member schools. I would venture to guess that anyone who's looking at the financial windfall that came from those two additions would vehenmently disagree that adding KSU would have been more beneficial.

I do agree that it isn't quite as applicable when you're talking mid and low major conferences (though there is something to the recruiting portion of it) but when you're talking P5, its all about what it does for the bottom line.
    Do we know this to be true? I've lived in B1G country most of my adult life and the B1G was a premium package channel everywhere I lived. Just because it is being offered in NYC as a channel doesn't mean there are a bunch of people that want to buy it, and maybe they don't. Perhaps that's why almost everyone in the B1G now believe that Rutgers was a terrible addition. Maybe the revenue hasn't panned out.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Do we know this to be true? I've lived in B1G country most of my adult life and the B1G was a premium package channel everywhere I lived. Just because it is being offered in NYC as a channel doesn't mean there are a bunch of people that want to buy it, and maybe they don't. Perhaps that's why almost everyone in the B1G now believe that Rutgers was a terrible addition. Maybe the revenue hasn't panned out.
    Reading a bit into the B1G network it seems some cable companies have it as one of their basic packages and some offer it as a premium upgrade channel. So it depends on the carriage deal with each cable/satellite provider.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I'm sure that it varies from provider to provider, but if you stick the B1G into the "sports pack" or any additional package, you then pass that cost on directly to the consumer. I know Midco has the B1G Network in their main sports package, so if you want NFL Redzone, you now also get (and pay for) the B1G Network. And there is a bit more to it than just the subscriptions. They are also able to show "presence" in those major markets when signing their big TV contracts which can help drive the price up as well.

Revenue wise: The first year that Rutgers/Maryland were in the conference (2014/15), revenues were $448.8 million ($32.4 million/school payout). That was a $110 million increase from the prior year (and payouts were only $26 million/schoolJ).
    Last year, revenues were at $768.9 million ($54.3 million/school). Total revenue exceeds the SEC by $40 million. And I believe those were down slightly from 2019.

On the field, Rutgers and Maryland haven't added a ton. Off the field, I think the goal was accomplished.

I'm sure that it varies from provider to provider, but if you stick the B1G into the "sports pack" or any additional package, you then pass that cost on directly to the consumer. I know Midco has the B1G Network in their main sports package, so if you want NFL Redzone, you now also get (and pay for) the B1G Network. And there is a bit more to it than just the subscriptions. They are also able to show "presence" in those major markets when signing their big TV contracts which can help drive the price up as well.

Revenue wise: The first year that Rutgers/Maryland were in the conference (2014/15), revenues were $448.8 million ($32.4 million/school payout). That was a $110 million increase from the prior year (and payouts were only $26 million/schoolJ).
    Last year, revenues were at $768.9 million ($54.3 million/school). Total revenue exceeds the SEC by $40 million. And I believe those were down slightly from 2019.

On the field, Rutgers and Maryland haven't added a ton. Off the field, I think the goal was accomplished.
    Yeah, with that boost after the additions, then I guess I'd have to say you're correct. Although as a B1G fan, I've hated it. I have zero interest in Rutgers and MD. I'm barely at a place where I finally accept Penn State, and they've been in the conference for three decades.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

this is where a NDSU to FBS conference move would REALLY help NDSU.

Improving the Basketball big time... and other olympic sports as well.

Staying at the Summit gives us a #15 or #16 seed pretty much every year
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Can't find anything about that in New York but that did happen for Nebraska, because people care about Nebraska

https://btn.com/2011/07/25/time-warn...ska-customers/

In 2021, media markets are becoming more irrelevant unless your talking free over the air TV. Shit, even the NBA Olympics stuff moved to Peacock

It's all about national eyeballs now. People watch what they want to watch now, not what's on TV if that making sense. That's why Directv payed a ridiculous amount for the NFL Sunday Ticket and when it's up for renegotiation next year its going to be a mind-blowing contract

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Pres B will be new Summit head guy..... Just guessing, but that is what Bisonville does best.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Will be really interesting to see who replaces him. Congrats to Douple on retiring.