Page 123 of 390 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 3897

Thread: NDSU vs Ducks

Default Re: NDSU @ Oregon 9.5.2020

Hello Bison Fans, another Oregon fan here offering a somewhat different perspective. I’m a contributor for ScoopDuck.com which is the largest Oregon Football Forum on the web where I write X and O’s and Personnel based content. The offseason is less than 3 weeks old and I’m already bored and starting to dig my teeth into some NDSU tape ahead of our September matchup.
    I also want to mention that I have the utmost respect for the NDSU fan base/Program, that was flippin awesome when Game Day went to Fargo! I hope to see a bunch of you in Autzen I know some Oregon fans have offered some previews by scanning through the thread to this point but I figured I’d give you my perspective on the 2020 Ducks which might be somewhat different/more detailed. Frankly, this is the most talented team we have ever had on paper. I know are all aware of the turnover at OL and QB as ive seen written here already but we are also replacing an OC who was a… controversial guy to put it lightly. Most fans weren’t particularly high on him, and blame him for what was a less than explosive passing game in 2019. Going into 2020 we have hired Joe Moorhead who was formerly the OC at Penn State, HC at Mississippi State and at HC Fordham. He has coached several top 10 offenses in any metric and brings a lot of experience working with less than ideal OL’s (Penn State 2016-2017 had a putrid line in terms of talent yet were top 10 S&P+ offenses). Our OL will be relatively inexperienced but will not be lacking for talent. 6’6 325lb LT Penei Sewell won the Outland Trophy for best Lineman (OL & DL) in CFB last year as a true Sophomore. His bookend will be RSFR 6’7 354lb Steven Jones who also started games as a true freshman at LT when Sewell went down in 2018. We were lucky to have the depth to redshirt him in 2019 limiting him to 4 games in an effort to preserve eligibility. These guys are both massive, athletic and powerful guys with NFL aspirations. The Guards are likely 6’6 313lb RSJr Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu (Sala) whom was the number 1 Juco OL in the 2019 class and redshirted while appearing in 4 games in 2019. The other Guard will likely be 6’5 335 pound RSFr Jonah Tauanu’u who was a top100 recruit in the class of 2019 and appeared in 4 games in 2019. The biggest question mark on the OL is the center position where the most likely starter is Alex Forsyth the 6’4 303 pound RSJr whos played sparingly at a couple different spots in a reserve role to this point. This group wont be the cohesive unit that the 2019 Joe Moore Award Finalist (best OL unit in CFB) was, esp in week 1 with a new OC but it man for man is a more ‘talented’ and ‘athletic’ group man for man. At QB we return 6’4 219Lb RSSo Tyler Shough who has sat behind Herbert and played very well in a reserve role but has zero starting experience. There were rumors that Oregon was kicking the tires with a few Grad Transfers but nothing really substantial has come to bare at this stage with no one even scheduling a visit to campus despite some rumors. The rumors coming from within the walls of the football building the staff has a lot of confidence in Shough but is concerned with the depth behind him where Oregon will have 3 freshman none of which have played a snap of college football. In regards to Shough as a player hes a very good athlete and really smooth accurate passer. Oregon fans are very excited about the upside of the former Elite 11 finalist.

Those two units have the highest turnover and most questions but also have significant upside and talent stepping into new roles. At WR this is the deepest and most talented group in recent memory. This group features all shapes and sizes and likely will feature 6’5 210 pound USC transfer Devon Williams along with a group featuring 7 other 4 star players and a Senior in Johnny Johnson III who has been very productive. RB returns everyone including 5’9 210lb 2x 1000 yard rusher CJ Verdell and the true Freshman Trey Benson is a name to watch out for come September. He’s 6’1 210 and ran a laser 4.4 last may at the New Orleans Nike Camp. TE returns its best TE from injury 6’6 260 pound Sr Cam McCormick who is the best all around player in the group. 6’5 250lb Sr Hunter Kampmoyer played a lot down the stretch due to injury in 2019 but is a one dimensional player (very limited athletically but a great inline blocker). Last year despite Herberts praise as a high 1st round draft pick Oregon was very inefficient and inconsistent in the passing game. This is a point of emphasis with new OC Joe Moorhead and a deep and talented group of WR which should be healthy after several guys missing substantial time in 2019 to injury.
    Defensively we are loaded and that’s without projecting contributions from new comers. This is unquestionably the most talented and deep group we have ever fielded. It will be year two in what is a hybrid 3-3-5/4-2-5 base nickel group that will go to a 3-4 or bear front against 12 Pers. We use a lot of steming in and out fronts presnap to create confusion and post snap are very aggressive due to our corners being very good in man coverage. Up front we return everyone including two players that forwent the draft to play out their senior years at Oregon. Jordon Scott (6’1 325) and Austin Faliou (6’3 290) start at DT and are both really stout players in the run game with Faliou being more of a quick penetrator and Scott being one of the best 2 gapping 0/1 techs in all of college football. There is depth with 6’3 313lb RSJr Popo Aumavae and 6’3 290lb Sophomore Brandon Dorlus who both played a ton of snaps in meaningful time in 2019 being the first off the bench at DT. On the edges the starters at Stud and DE will both be sophomores who had outrageous freshmen campaigns. One of which is Freshman All American Kayvon Thibodeaux the 6’5 240 pound speed freak who had 9 sacks as a true freshman with really only one pass rush move. He is the quickest and most explosive edge player we have ever had and Oregon got more creative as the year wore on in terms of moving him around and rushing him from the inside as well when matchups were more ideal inside. PFF had him grade out as the single most disruptive freshman edge player they have ever tracked (since 2014). The bookend is Mase Funa (6’2 260) who is just a great player. Both guys will improve a ton with a full offseason of development which is saying something because they were both phenomenal in 2019.
    At ILB we return 2 year starter RSJr Isaac Slade-Matautia (6’1 235) who is an explosive instinctive guy and an excellent tackler in space. We do however have to replace Troy Dye who had 400 career tackles at the other linebacker spot. There are several candidates with experience and production but the two most interesting are both true freshman from this newly minted top 10 2020 recruiting class. Noah Sewell (6’2 266) and Justin Flowe (6’2 225) were the number 1 and number 2 rated linebackers in America last year and both will be in Eugene as early enrollees for spring ball and off season training.
    The secondary is another loaded group, with 4 of the top 30 graded DBs by PFF on the unit. Both corners were draft eligible and decided to return. Ones a 4 year starter, the other a 3 year starter and have been very good in a man coverage heavy scheme. The crazy thing is the best corner on the team is sophomore Mykael Wright who doubles as our explosive Kick off return man and was a former top 100 recruit. Oregon added another 5 star corner and returns others with quality experience. At Nickel we have 6’2 200 pound Jr Jevon Holland who has led the team in interceptions each of his years on campus. Hes a stud and All-American Candidate. Hes excellent in man coverage, a great tackler and very instinctive in the box as a run defender. At Safety is probably our “weakest” group but we return a 3 man rotation that was effective in 2019 including 2020 Rose Bowl MVP Brady Breeze who is a senior and really came on late in 19’. This group tackles well and is solid in coverage but is getting an injection of upside with Juco Safety and former freshman all American (at Illinois) Bennet Williams who could push for a starting spot despite the experience at S.
    We return an inconsistent place kicker, have a good snapper, great return men and will be breaking in a new punter.

I in no way take this game lightly, Trey Lance is a really special player and if we weren’t playing Ohio State might be the best QB we see in 2020. However, this is not like playing any of the teams you’ve played before. Iowa who you beat in 2016 was ranked 80th in S&P+ offense and 19th in S&P+ defense, they had 1 4star or better recruit on the roster. 2019 Oregon was 25th in S&P+ Offense and 9th in S&P+ defense and the 2020 version will have 39 4star or better players on the roster. Even relative to what we have experienced in terms of success in the past this is new territory. Under Chip Kelly we would get a few headline skill players each class and get a lot of production out of them to carry what was usually an average defense. Oregon had never had a top 10 recruiting class before Mario Cristobal took over and now we will have had back to back top 10 classes (2019&2020) and the 2018 class (Mario’s first) was top 15. I know I speak for a good portion of Oregon fans when I say that when we say this team is the most talented you’ve played we don’t mean that to be condescending or to be dismissive to the unprecedented success of the NDSU football program. We are simply pointing to the facts. This is not your Grandmas Oregon, this team is very big, very fast, and very talented. 1-85 probably the most talented team we have ever had. As I write this im watching the JMU game to get a feel for your Pers/schemes so we can talk ball and matchups ahead of the game.

Question for those of you who are more into the X's and O's, against JMU I am noticing that you are staying in base againt nickel quite a bit. Is that typical of NDSU? playing a 40 front and staying in base against Oregon's 11 Pers is not something I would recommend. Leaving your DE's on an island with Penei Sewell and TE or Jones and TE to set the edge with no overhang defender is strongly inadvisable. Also based on how I would expect Oregon to defend NDSU youll see a lot of single high coverage with stacked boxes. Anyone we felt we had an advantage over with our secondary last year had a tough time because we rolled up into press coverage and stacked the box. Oregon showed little respect for teams with mobile QB's drop back passing game and really t'd off on them in the run game bringing an extra looping defender on ZR concepts and crashing with the read man to force a pull read. Which is why ZR was ineffective against oregon for the most part.

Sorry for the long post, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Outside of Stanford which teams run power? We aren't talking more run then pass we are talking power with a pulling lineman and fullback?
    Power run doesn’t require a traditional fullback. Oregon, Oregon State, UW and Cal are more base 12 personnel. Cristobal definitely runs more power run concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
    As a longtime NDSU fan and reader of Bisonville, I never felt the need to post until now. Listen, Oregon is going to be a different animal than what we have faced with the mid to low tier B1G teams over the years. Having watched almost every Oregon game for the last 10 years (my son went there and graduated in 2013) I feel confident in saying that if you think we will go into Autzen and intimidate and/or out-physical them you are mistaken. Over the years, we have had the good fortune of matching up well with the FBS teams we have played, but the type of athlete we will see next fall in Oregon is not going to be familiar to us. They are both very physical and very fast and play smart. They have future NFL first and second-round picks littered throughout their defense and probably the best left tackle in the last 10-15 years. Oregon compares to no one we have played before. They will be the best, most talent-rich team we have ever faced and are 2-3 deep at most positions. They are well-coached, have an intensely rigorous and regimented offseason training program and will be an extremely cohesive unit, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Look, I’m not saying this to let the air out of everyone’s tires, but we need to temper our expectations with this game because some of the talk I have read on here is pretty misguided and uninformed when it comes to the Ducks football team. As they are my adopted FBS team from the time my son was a freshman in 2009 I have followed them closely ever since, and even attended the Rose Bowl this past January. I am a member at one of their subscriber sites and this 120+ page thread is currently being discussed there as well, so rest assured the Bison won’t be overlooked.
    Good points. However, this will be the best, most talented & athletic Bison offense in program history period.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Default Re: NDSU vs Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    The one where they did the spin-o-rama as pre-snap motion?
    That would be the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Good points. However, this will be the best, most talented & athletic Bison offense in program history period.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Oregon went 8-0 at Autzen last year. if you think an FCS team is going to come here and beat them then you are about as delusional as it gets. i dont blame you due to the success of the NDSU program but come on. Have any players on the current NDSU squad even played vs a 5 star player? Oregon has 4 now. Has any player on NDSU played vs an FBS team? Cmon guys.

Quote Originally Posted by goducks View Post
    Oregon went 8-0 at Autzen last year. if you think an FCS team is going to come here and beat them then you are about as delusional as it gets. i dont blame you due to the success of the NDSU program but come on. Have any players on the current NDSU squad even played vs a 5 star player? Oregon has 4 now. Has any player on NDSU played vs an FBS team? Cmon guys.

oh no baby what is u doin

What do you expect for them to say?

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A 5 Star? why surely we must surrender
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by QB11SD View Post
    I in no way take this game lightly, Trey Lance is a really special player and if we weren’t playing Ohio State might be the best QB we see in 2020. However, this is not like playing any of the teams you’ve played before. Iowa who you beat in 2016 was ranked 80th in S&P+ offense and 19th in S&P+ defense, they had 1 4star or better recruit on the roster. 2019 Oregon was 25th in S&P+ Offense and 9th in S&P+ defense and the 2020 version will have 39 4star or better players on the roster. Even relative to what we have experienced in terms of success in the past this is new territory. Under Chip Kelly we would get a few headline skill players each class and get a lot of production out of them to carry what was usually an average defense. Oregon had never had a top 10 recruiting class before Mario Cristobal took over and now we will have had back to back top 10 classes (2019&2020) and the 2018 class (Mario’s first) was top 15. I know I speak for a good portion of Oregon fans when I say that when we say this team is the most talented you’ve played we don’t mean that to be condescending or to be dismissive to the unprecedented success of the NDSU football program. We are simply pointing to the facts. This is not your Grandmas Oregon, this team is very big, very fast, and very talented. 1-85 probably the most talented team we have ever had. As I write this im watching the JMU game to get a feel for your Pers/schemes so we can talk ball and matchups ahead of the game.

Question for those of you who are more into the X's and O's, against JMU I am noticing that you are staying in base againt nickel quite a bit. Is that typical of NDSU? playing a 40 front and staying in base against Oregon's 11 Pers is not something I would recommend. Leaving your DE's on an island with Penei Sewell and TE or Jones and TE to set the edge with no overhang defender is strongly inadvisable. Also based on how I would expect Oregon to defend NDSU youll see a lot of single high coverage with stacked boxes. Anyone we felt we had an advantage over with our secondary last year had a tough time because we rolled up into press coverage and stacked the box. Oregon showed little respect for teams with mobile QB's drop back passing game and really t'd off on them in the run game bringing an extra looping defender on ZR concepts and crashing with the read man to force a pull read. Which is why ZR was ineffective against oregon for the most part.

Sorry for the long post, cheers.
    I love that you guys are going to be so good and have been badly wanting NDSU to play a high ranking P5. Here we go...finally. On paper you should win easily, and based on your posts you are even better than I expected you would be. Stifling defense is the ultimate game changer (something we use to have that I’m not sure we will have next year) and your D definitely has the edge over our offense. Our o-line will need to play the game of their lives and they are a very good unit. We struggled against SDSU and Ill St. in the playoffs and your d is easily better than either of those teams. I also think your offense has the advantage. On paper you should win easily but I’ve seen the Bison step their game against more talented teams than us too many times. I still believe these guys can go in there and gut out the win. They could also get rolled but I know they will fight hard a full 4 quarters. Can’t wait. It’s gonna be a loooong winter, spring, summer