Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

Default Re: Can PJ Fleck weaken the HERD?

The Gophers are having one of their best seasons in the last 50+ years. They may not finish in the top 10, but they are moving in the right direction.
    It's OK to not be OK.

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    It's something we will never know playing Division 2.
    Did NDSU receive an invite to the Big Ten that I missed?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    They do have a lot more fans than they did when I was there in the '90s. I don't know if any games even sold out other than UND. It was like SDSU is today.

There was a lot of red and blue in the Fargodome on Saturday.
    Enrollment is probably close to double what it was in the 90s, and has been for some time now. It hasn't exactly affected student attendance, not that NDSU is an outlier in that regard. But it has led to a lot more alumni (and those that attended but didn't graduate). Obviously the winning is s big part of it but as with most things there are multiple factors that go into it.

As an aside, it was really stupid for SDSU to build to the size that they did, IMO.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Look at the scores...

If NDSU had beaten Nebraska like UM did Bisonville would be calling for a FBS playoff invite!

Illinois beat Wisconsin.
    They have been exceptional since B1G play started. Steamrolling bad teams and now got a nice win over a pretty good team. I don't know what more people want from them at the moment.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Look at the scores...

If NDSU had beaten Nebraska like UM did Bisonville would be calling for a FBS playoff invite!

Illinois beat Wisconsin.
    I still don't know what the discussion is all about. They beat a bunch of bad teams by alot and a pretty good team. They've had a good season, we've seen this before though, remember 2003? I'll wait and see how they finish and what happens next year before I start worrying about them affecting NDSU in any way shape or form. Personally I don't expect them to have any impact on what NDSU does no matter how great they are so not sure why we should even care. If your a closet goofer fan than have fun at gopherhole.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    They have been exceptional since B1G play started. Steamrolling bad teams and now got a nice win over a pretty good team. I don't know what more people want from them at the moment.
    Agreed. I am happy for them - a little success is long overdue there. It was a bit sad to see the fans rush the field after the win Saturday but I'm really not sure I can blame them. I bet it was very exciting. I spent the day with a very good friend who is a Gopher alum. I offered to go to the game with him but he elected instead for us to go pheasant hunting. During deer gun season. I told him to pop the TV on in the hotel on Saturday morning because his boys would no doubt be featured on GameDay. He was only mildly interested and admitted that he had never seen the show.

Out in the field we got back to the truck and turned on the FAN about midway through the first qtr and he started to get a little fire upon discovering that the Gophers were in the lead. We caught bits and pieces of the coverage between walks the rest of the game. He was pretty fired up for that last Penn St drive - as if he were me during a Bison game. Of course I know more about his players than he did/does. We turned on 1660 at the end of the MN game and he just shook his head as I regaled him with background on each of our players during the broadcast. He was quite entertained with Culhane's exclamation of "... and there he goes!!!" and "... and there he goes AGAIN!!!".

I have lived and worked in the Twin Cities for several decades with many Gopher alums. This guy is pretty prototypical IMHO. There are many options for things to do down here and if Gopher Football is not offering a high quality winning product then these Gophers alums will avail themselves of alternative entertainment opportunities.

Got to give props to the diehard fans who bleed maroon and gold through thick and thin. Also got to give props to PJ Fleck. Like others I really don't prefer his style and I have been a mild sceptic regarding his ability to change the direction of the program here. It is pretty evident to me though at this point that his players are fully bought in and they are starting to BELIEVE. A little confidence is a powerful thing. I hope Minnesota can keep PJ around for a few more years as I think it will be interesting to see how far he can take things here.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Agreed. I am happy for them - a little success is long overdue there. It was a bit sad to see the fans rush the field after the win Saturday but I'm really not sure I can blame them. I bet it was very exciting. I spent the day with a very good friend who is a Gopher alum. I offered to go to the game with him but he elected instead for us to go pheasant hunting. During deer gun season. I told him to pop the TV on in the hotel on Saturday morning because his boys would no doubt be featured on GameDay. He was only mildly interested and admitted that he had never seen the show.

Out in the field we got back to the truck and turned on the FAN about midway through the first qtr and he started to get a little fire upon discovering that the Gophers were in the lead. We caught bits and pieces of the coverage between walks the rest of the game. He was pretty fired up for that last Penn St drive - as if he were me during a Bison game. Of course I know more about his players than he did/does. We turned on 1660 at the end of the MN game and he just shook his head as I regaled him with background on each of our players during the broadcast. He was quite entertained with Culhane's exclamation of "... and there he goes!!!" and "... and there he goes AGAIN!!!".

I have lived and worked in the Twin Cities for several decades with many Gopher alums. This guy is pretty prototypical IMHO. There are many options for things to do down here and if Gopher Football is not offering a high quality winning product then these Gophers alums will avail themselves of alternative entertainment opportunities.

Got to give props to the diehard fans who bleed maroon and gold through thick and thin. Also got to give props to PJ Fleck. Like others I really don't prefer his style and I have been a mild sceptic regarding his ability to change the direction of the program here. It is pretty evident to me though at this point that his players are fully bought in and they are starting to BELIEVE. A little confidence is a powerful thing. I hope Minnesota can keep PJ around for a few more years as I think it will be interesting to see how far he can take things here.
    So you’re saying that Bison fans are more apt to follow their team in a down year than Gophers because there’s more to do in the TC? I don’t know... seems like a bit of a cop out that I’m not willing to give them. You either love your college football team or you don’t. I think our fans are better because everything about our tradition is better.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    So you’re saying that Bison fans are more apt to follow their team in a down year than Gophers because there’s more to do in the TC? I don’t know... seems like a bit of a cop out that I’m not willing to give them. You either love your college football team or you don’t. I think our fans are better because everything about our tradition is better.
    Yeah, not really oranges to oranges anyway. Most NDSU fans were not alive the last time NDSU was consistently bad/mediocre.
    College of Business Alumnus

I can say that I am in no way a Gopher fan, far from it. Regardless of what anybody thinks of their schedule they do have a couple quality wins and ONE REALLY BIG WIN. Penn State rated at #4 is something to hang your hat on, regardless of how their season finishes. Lets also keep in mind who the Bison have played??? Seriously people, Western Illinois, University of North Dakota, Delaware etc... and we make fun of a 9-0 FBS team? Play any FBS Schedule in coming years and than call me in the morning!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Yeah, not really oranges to oranges anyway. Most NDSU fans were not alive the last time NDSU was consistently bad/mediocre.
    Apples/oranges, maybe, but I wouldn’t exactly describe ‘08 - ‘09 as ”banner years” for our program.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery