Page 93 of 365 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: hAs rIcHmAn RuN tHiS pRoGrAm InTo ThE gRoUnD??

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    Especially when it came to defensive pressure.
    Yeah. I don't watch nearly as much college BB as some of you but I'm not sure that I've seen a better hustling team, particularly from a team as long as Duke is, before. Not only did they hustle but on defense they had incredible court awareness and saw the pass before our offensive player even started the motion. It was quite impressive. I have no idea what DR could have done to counter that. Our boys were totally out of sorts, even when up for most of the first half.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    Duke got a lot of the same looks in the 2nd half as they had in the first. They just made them. Even up in the first half, our boys didn’t look like they were leading. It is what it is but to say they never looked overmatched isn’t a true observation in my opinion.
    You better go back and re-read Orygun's post. It looks to me like the two of you actually agree.

I however will take issue with Orygun's use of the exemplary. I'm no basketball mind but I never had the notion that the Bison were "incredibly" overmatched. IMHO if that were true then the Bison would have never had a lead in the game unless Duke put only a single player on the floor or some other such nonsense. Duke actually had to play basketball to beat the Bison squad.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Let's face it. That was a match up of two incredibly different basketball "programs" last night. It was also a match up of high elite vs. well, not players. Against those odds, our boys actually performed well for most of the first half and a couple of mini stretches of the second half. During absolutely none of that time did the Bison not look incredibly overmatched, even when out-rebounding and out-scoring Duke.

To me, the only explanation is coaching and player heart. Coach had a defensive scheme in the first half that gave Duke fits. (Imagine writing something so stupid a few short years ago!!) It was the exact right way to play them. Obviously, Coach K (the best college BB coach in the post-Wooden era) made some small adjustments at halftime and things turned around. We weren't able to make adjustments and the wheels fell off. Regarding player heart, you've gotta credit some of that to DR as well. They believed in themselves and gave it everything that they had. Kids just don't do that for bad or even mediocre coaches.

I feel like DR has turned a corner. I'm actually looking forward to more BB in the coming years.
    Rebounded well 1st half, but 2-3 zone guarding the paint wouldve been a better option over sagging man gap defense

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    You better go back and re-read Orygun's post. It looks to me like the two of you actually agree.

I however will take issue with Orygun's use of the exemplary. I'm no basketball mind but I never had the notion that the Bison were "incredibly" overmatched. IMHO if that were true then the Bison would have never had a lead in the game unless Duke put only a single player on the floor or some other such nonsense. Duke actually had to play basketball to beat the Bison squad.
    I actually had the feeling early on that we were overmatched and the Duke players took things for granted for a while. I thought all along that they were going to be pissed off in the 2nd half.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I actually had the feeling early on that we were overmatched and the Duke players took things for granted for a while. I thought all along that they were going to be pissed off in the 2nd half.
    Ditto. It felt like Duke was sleepwalking on both offense and defense during most of the first half. They didn't contest the 3 enough on defense and they missed easy layups and didn't strongly contest rebounds on offense. But towards the end of the first half and throughout the second, they started taking things seriously and played their regular game. And that was that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    So I pretty much agree with what you said here. In the second half the blue devils had to dial up their intensity level and elevate their game in order to overcome the efforts of the bison crew. In my opinion then the Bison were not anything more than overmatched by a very talented bunch. But not “incredibly” or “hopelessly” or any other exemplarily way.

Like I say though I know almost nothing about bb. And I’m a homer. (And according to my son, also a Gomer). I’m gonna wear that last one proudly.
    Don't believe everything you think.

I felt like defensively we excuted our gameplan at a very high level in the first half, Duke wasn't playing great but we were doing all of the right things. Of course halftime came and a hall of fame coach made adjustments with his lineup of future NBA players...some of it was just dialing up the intesnity.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

From my perspective, the boys WERE incredibly overmatched. I had zero feeling that they could keep it rolling for the entire game. My point for bringing it up was that, in the spirit of this thread, DR really made a difference. His defensive scheme was very sound and the boys were (mostly) mentally prepared. I am coming around as a Dave Richmond fan, regardless of how aloof the dude can be.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Yeah. I don't watch nearly as much college BB as some of you but I'm not sure that I've seen a better hustling team, particularly from a team as long as Duke is, before. Not only did they hustle but on defense they had incredible court awareness and saw the pass before our offensive player even started the motion. It was quite impressive. I have no idea what DR could have done to counter that. Our boys were totally out of sorts, even when up for most of the first half.
    Wouldn’t be nice to see NDSU do this same thing ALL THE EFFING TIME? But nope ... act, play and get coached like a mediocre team, kinda lie we do in football/major effing purple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Default Has Richman Run this Program Into the Ground??

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Wouldn’t it be nice to see NDSU do this same thing ALL THE EFFING TIME? But nope ... act, play and get coached like a mediocre team, kinda like we do in football/major effing purple!

Last edited by CAS4127; 03-24-2019 at 03:10 AM.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.