Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakota Marker at NDSU

Default Dakota Marker at NDSU

Interesting reading.....definately worth more than a nickel :P

http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/161537

Default Re: Dakota Marker at NDSU

Adam Palczewski is a good friend of mine!!

And I think that with this story, the Dakota Marker is becoming more of an important symbol of NDSU than the nickel ever was. It seems like the Marker is starting to have some kind of folklore established with it. Hell, I've been at NDSU for four years now, and I've never personally seen, or heard people talk about the nickel, but I've seen the Marker, and heard lots of people talk about it. The Rock is much more important to this university now.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

I wonder if that same marker was displayed in south Fargo would the police have just taken it or let it go. At least it is where it is supposed to be now.

insane_ponderer Guest

I was really surprised at how long they held it as well, and all the paper work that Dante and Cheski had to go through.

Seems a bit excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator

And I think that with this story, the Dakota Marker is becoming more of an important symbol of NDSU than the nickel ever was. It seems like the Marker is starting to have some kind of folklore established with it. Hell, I've been at NDSU for four years now, and I've never personally seen, or heard people talk about the nickel, but I've seen the Marker, and heard lots of people talk about it. The Rock is much more important to this university now.
    Bisonator
    You are a current student correct? There are about 100 years of rivalry playing for the nickle and the marker has a very short life. When the UND rivalry starts back up the marker will take a back seat. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

insane_ponderer Guest

Bisonator,

Are you in on the current plans for that Dakota Plaza? I was curious if there are any details besides that the Marker will be the centerpiece. That area of campus has been long overdue for a facelift. I thought it would be cool if the Marker there turned into like a NDSU Blarney stone...students would come kiss it or touch it for luck before tests.

jzillmer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73
    [quote author=TheBisonator link=1175515615/0#1 date=1175520590]Adam Palczewski is a good friend of mine!!

Bisonator
    You are a current student correct? There are about 100 years of rivalry playing for the nickle and the marker has a very short life. When the UND rivalry starts back up the marker will take a back seat. PL
    [/quote]

I was there during the last few years of the nickel game and for the first few of the marker games. To me, up until this year, the rivalry with SDSU felt very manufactured and I had a hard time getting into it. Now it feels more real and it is a definate rivaly. It's just a different kind of rivalry, not in a good or bad way, it's just different.

By the time the nickel is played for again the rivaly with SDSU will have had a couple more years to grow and gain a little history of its own. By then to some students the marker may be the bigger rivaly, but to us alumni it will always be the nickel. I think this will eventually even out, and we'll end up with two very different, but great rivalrys.

I have a feeling the Nickel and Marker will be like Paul Bunyans Axe and the Pig for the Gophers when they play Wisc. and Iowa. Gophers have 2 huge rivalries with both schools and WHEN we start playing UND again, I think the Marker and Nickel will be just as valuable to us

Quote Originally Posted by heymch86
    I have a feeling the Nickel and Marker will be like Paul Bunyans Axe and the Pig for the Gophers when they play Wisc. and Iowa. Gophers have 2 huge rivalries with both schools and WHEN we start playing UND again, I think the Marker and Nickel will be just as valuable to us

You very well could be right. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator

Your 4 years is a very small time frame to base your statements on. Don't get me wrong, I think the rivalry with SDSU is turning into something, and I think it will only continue to grow...but it in no way compares to one of the longest rivalries and the nickel.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]