Page 22 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Kolpack and Izzo can't like this

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Default Re: Kolack and Izzo can't like this

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    So the question is would other companies have bid more knowing the about the restrictions?
    Maybe, but ndsu might not of felt like there when this position at that time. There comes a time in every business when you have to decide is the free coverage worth less than requiring compensation
    Or

Mabel kvly is forcing their hand

Eirher way we don't know enough to know right noe

chuckles is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

(figures made up) ...So last year KVLY was paying NDSU $100k for 'content', provided mediocre coverage, and turned a $25k profit. WDAY paid nothing for the same 'content', delivered superior coverage, and turned $125k profit. Bravo and kudos to WDAY for milking the cow and paying nothing. What advantage did KVLY get for their $100k in this example?

Now this year KVLY offers $100k and WDAY offers $100 (intending to do the same and milk away the hottest show in Fargo), but the content is now more secure. You can't blame NDSU for taking the $100k over the $100, even though the coverage is less accepted by the general population. The only sketchy thing here would be if these 'media rights' were not explained when the bids went out (and even if they were, I could see someone at WDAY trying to call NDSU's bluff and disregard them)

Bottom line is this is how the business of sports / marketing / advertising / media functions. On the almighty dollar. Sad, I know. There are a lot of intangibles that get thrown out the window when these agreements are created, but this is by no means a 'direct shot' at Jeff and Dom like some say. This is a shot at Forum Com. You think some folks at NDSU forgot all the negative press and the twisting of the stories they did about Joe Chapman, the house, and the Alumni Foundation, and continue to do? Think again, what goes around comes around and NDSU just threw a haymaker. But alas, this saga will continue!

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    NDSU will get $400k, and UND will get increased and better state wide coverage. This happened when K-State got too full of itself and renegotiated its contract a number of years back. K-State got some money, and KU got broadcast all over the state. Everyone out west in the tractors in the fall? Their radios only got KU coverage.

Well done, NDSU. Well done.
    Ndsu will get the same amount of coverage and massive amounts of money. We get 30 percent of the 1660 gross receipts. Our radio network is massive and covers every square inch of the State. Demand drives content and Ndsu is what people want. Our radio affiliates will be given approval. The only difference is kfgo and wday won't be able to interview current coaches and national media will just need a quick approval by Ndsu.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Kolpack and Izzo can't like this

Jeff and Dom do a phenomenal job. KVLY pregame sucks. It's understandable that KVLY would want to limit access if they are paying what they pay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chuckles View Post
    (figures made up) ...So last year KVLY was paying NDSU $100k for 'content', provided mediocre coverage, and turned a $25k profit. WDAY paid nothing for the same 'content', delivered superior coverage, and turned $125k profit. Bravo and kudos to WDAY for milking the cow and paying nothing. What advantage did KVLY get for their $100k in this example?

Now this year KVLY offers $100k and WDAY offers $100 (intending to do the same and milk away the hottest show in Fargo), but the content is now more secure. You can't blame NDSU for taking the $100k over the $100, even though the coverage is less accepted by the general population. The only sketchy thing here would be if these 'media rights' were not explained when the bids went out (and even if they were, I could see someone at WDAY trying to call NDSU's bluff and disregard them)

Bottom line is this is how the business of sports / marketing / advertising / media functions. On the almighty dollar. Sad, I know. There are a lot of intangibles that get thrown out the window when these agreements are created, but this is by no means a 'direct shot' at Jeff and Dom like some say. This is a shot at Forum Com. You think some folks at NDSU forgot all the negative press and the twisting of the stories they did about Joe Chapman, the house, and the Alumni Foundation, and continue to do? Think again, what goes around comes around and NDSU just threw a haymaker. But alas, this saga will continue!
    And it will once again be turned into, "Ndsu is the big bad guy. We must take them down." Small minded mentality this state has.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Maybe, but ndsu might not of felt like there when this position at that time. There comes a time in every business when you have to decide is the free coverage worth less than requiring compensation
    Or

Mabel kvly is forcing their hand

Eirher way we don't know enough to know right noe
    NDSU is becoming a national brand and worth a lot more money than a few years and KVLY bought and won rights and want to make sure they make their money.. t

Quote Originally Posted by chuckles View Post

They were bidding on the media rights. I think what people are getting confused about here is that NDSU is saying they are putting a foot down and enforcing them with those who do not have those rights. The only thing I can see that has been further defined is live play by play blogging. NDSU is saying you ain't doing it in our building because we have contracts granting exclusive rights and if you do it from home, you might be crossing some boundaries as far as rebroadcasting contracted content. The bottom line is I am pretty sure there is nothing new here, it is just NDSU make the choice to publicly state they are going to enforce the contracts they have negotiated. If one were to say knowing NDSU would enforce the contract it might have changed the way they had bid on the rights in the first place, but the risk then is on the bidder, not NDSU. While I have not seen the exact language of the contracts these entities have signed, I would be willing to bet there was nothing changed granting exclusive media rights. You don't pay $400k and have a contract that allows other mediums to deliver similar content. Apparently, you don't pay $500k when NDSU doesn't enforce exclusivity you can profit off of without a contract. There is an inherent risk to playing that game and Forum Communications just got burned playing it that way.

2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 National FCS Champions.

Eight is Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    They were bidding on the media rights. I think what people are getting confused about here is that NDSU is saying they are putting a foot down and enforcing them with those who do not have those rights. The only thing I can see that has been further defined is live play by play blogging. NDSU is saying you ain't doing it in our building because we have contracts granting exclusive rights and if you do it from home, you might be crossing some boundaries as far as rebroadcasting contracted content. The bottom line is I am pretty sure there is nothing new here, it is just NDSU make the choice to publicly state they are going to enforce the contracts they have negotiated. If one were to say knowing NDSU would enforce the contract it might have changed the way they had bid on the rights in the first place, but the risk then is on the bidder, not NDSU. While I have not seen the exact language of the contracts these entities have signed, I would be willing to bet there was nothing changed granting exclusive media rights. You don't pay $400k and have a contract that allows other mediums to deliver similar content. Apparently, you don't pay $500k when NDSU doesn't enforce exclusivity you can profit off of without a contract. There is an inherent risk to playing that game and Forum Communications just got burned playing it that way.
    So NDSU is just enforcing a contract they that entered too?