Thread: Media Coverage Impact on Recruiting

Default Media Coverage Impact on Recruiting

Sounds like those Illinois recruits were impressed by the Bison when they watched NDSU play Minnesota on TV. *What are your thoughts on the importance of getting more exposure, especially regional broadcast of NDSU games? *I know things still need to be improved for radio out west in ND and most everyone wants WDAY to televise more games in ND and Northwest Minnesota, but isn't more FSN-like coverage key to growth of NDSU fans and continued success on the field / court? *I really believe the additional coverage that UND got back in the late DII days helped them catch up and pass NDSU for some of the quality football recruits. *As UND won more games this helped even more. *They got some players in the three state area that recognized UND above others because of seeing them on TV. *Contrast that with little if any regional coverage for games involving DII NDSU during the mid to late 90's and beyond. *IMO more regional coverage for football and basketball is on the same level of importance as having a new arena for basketball. *Do you think regional TV coverage might now be on Taylor, Bohl and Miles' radar more after being surprised at the comments from football recruits? *Think about it, show potential recruits what NDSU looks like on the field / court and then blow them away with the current and planned facilities. * 8-) *

finch901 Guest

Default Re: Media Coverage Impact on Recruiting

does the Mid-Con and if we get in, the Gateway, have a game of the week for basketball and football that is televised? I thought i'd heard that somewhere, I remember a couple years ago watching western illinois and i believe Ill St playing on Fox College Sports, and they announcers said that it was on cause it was the game of the week, if so, if we could get on a bunch of those and hopefully have those played in the FFD, that would be sweet!!

I know the Gateway has nearly a game of the week on Fox Sports Midwest (St. Louis based). The Mid Con used to have a Saturday game on the same channel but it doesn't anymore that I can see. The same Fox Sports Midwest does, however, broadcast a game of the week for the Missouri Valley, the Gateway's base conference for adminstration, anyway.

I would have to assume that if (when) the SUs are accepted into the Gateway, that Fox Sports North show the weekly games pretty easily. With two schools in the viewing area it might even be likely. I am sure it is an arrangement between the Gateway and Fox Sports. So maybe that arrangement can be modified.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by FINCH
    does the Mid-Con and if we get in, the Gateway, have a game of the week for basketball and football that is televised? I thought i'd heard that somewhere, I remember a couple years ago watching western illinois and i believe Ill St playing on Fox College Sports, and they announcers said that it was on cause it was the game of the week, if so, if we could get on a bunch of those and hopefully have those played in the FFD, that would be sweet!!
    Football isn't a sport in the Mid-Con conference. That is why we are looking at the Gateway.

I think what he was saying is don't the Mid-Con and the Gateway both have games of the week respectively.

So basketball for Mid-Con and football for Gateway.

Hopefully we could get the Craig Bohl Football Show and Tim Miles Show on FSN North instead of WDAY. Maybe just drop the coaches names and call it "Bison Weekly" or something like that, and air it every week from August through March.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

I kinda think that having media guys from Fargo (Hallstrom and Kolpack) calling coaches and stuff probably helps recruiting too.

When a coach or a kid gets their third call from media folks asking if you were thinking of going to North Dakota State, I'm thinking that makes an impression.