Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Iowa State

Default Re: Iowa State

Quote Originally Posted by bi'S'on View Post
    Age in basketball means very little. See- Duke & Kentucky. I'm not as ready as you are to send this group to the Final Four in a few seasons.
    Age means very little to Duke and Kentucky when they make up 9 of the 47 college picks in the NBA draft. To most of college basketball, finding players and developing them over 4 years is still the key to the success of their programs. There are a handful of programs that are doing nothing more than managing talent who are either NBA ready or just about NBA ready who have to go to college because of the NBA's age requirement. Even those coaches would like the NBA to dump the age requirement and go back to coaching young men for 4 years but will still take the one and dones who will take their program to a final four right now.

Every year there is a school who makes a surprise run with upperclassman who have built an experience driven team. The reality is they will be probably get cut short by a school with 3 or 4 NBA ready 19 year olds, but it can happen where you build a program with developing players. NDSU isn't going to recruit a bunch of one and dones and manage them one year at a time, so their hope is to build a developing program who can take a school by surprise once in a while. Their success will be measured against other developing programs, not the NBA one and done churning schools.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    That right there is the definition of a young team. In contrast ISU started 4 Seniors and a Junior. We only have 2 seniors, one of whom didn't play and another who is playing limited minutes as he's still coming back from injury. You have to remember this is the first time these kids are in the spotlight, this is the transition to Paul Miller & AJ's team from LA. Khy is a freshman, Clements is essentially a freshman after only one year of JuCo ball, this is a whole different level of competition for him and then you have Dylan Miller filling in as needed as a true freshman as well. When 65% of your scoring is coming from Sophomores or younger that is a young team. These are 18-20 year old kids out there still learning the college game going against a top 5 team starting guys on their 4th or 5th seasons at the college level. Our guys will learn, just wait until Miller & AJ are seniors and this team will have plenty of experience, then we'll have the ability to win more of these games.

We will be salty in a couple years...I'm pumped...then I thought of these two being seniors and leaving the same year and it's going to hurt no matter how you look at it...

Age in basketball means very little. See- Duke & Kentucky. I'm not as ready as you are to send this group to the Final Four in a few seasons.
    This is the most ridiculous statement of the year...top 5 or 10 for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Age means very little to Duke and Kentucky when they make up 9 of the 47 college picks in the NBA draft. To most of college basketball, finding players and developing them over 4 years is still the key to the success of their programs. There are a handful of programs that are doing nothing more than managing talent who are either NBA ready or just about NBA ready who have to go to college because of the NBA's age requirement. Even those coaches would like the NBA to dump the age requirement and go back to coaching young men for 4 years but will still take the one and dones who will take their program to a final four right now.

Every year there is a school who makes a surprise run with upperclassman who have built an experience driven team. The reality is they will be probably get cut short by a school with 3 or 4 NBA ready 19 year olds, but it can happen where you build a program with developing players. NDSU isn't going to recruit a bunch of one and dones and manage them one year at a time, so their hope is to build a developing program who can take a school by surprise once in a while. Their success will be measured against other developing programs, not the NBA one and done churning schools.
    All of this is exactly why the Bison will not be competing in games against top 5 teams as the post suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post
    [/B]
    We will be salty in a couple years...I'm pumped...then I thought of these two being seniors and leaving the same year and it's going to hurt no matter how you look at it...

This is the most ridiculous statement of the year...top 5 or 10 for sure...
    Has to be number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Well obviously age doesn't mean anything when you are in bringing lottery draft pick recruits every year.

For smaller programs it is a much bigger deal, not a shock our best teams were also the most experienced. This team will be very good in AJ and Paul's senior year if they can find/develop some other pieces around them.
    "our best" and beating top teams, where age does not matter, are two different things.

Good comparison.

PS Im excited for the future, but also excited for this season. We have a good shot at going back to the dance. As of now I think it will be NDSU-SDSU rematch. Things could change.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Good comparison.

PS Im excited for the future, but also excited for this season. We have a good shot at going back to the dance. As of now I think it will be NDSU-SDSU rematch. Things could change.
    Big dance sure, but the poster suggested winning games against the top 5. I'll refrain from introducing reality form here on...

Definitely a good team now and in the future so lots to be excited about.

All of this is exactly why the Bison will not be competing in games against top 5 teams as the post suggested.
    I would agree that night in and night out it would be tough to compete against top 5 schools, but who does except other top 5 schools? A game here and there? I don't see why not. It is still 5 on 5 on the court at a time and an experienced team can make good things happen on a given night.

Usually fringe top 25 teams can't really compete with top 5 teams in college basketball. It's the nature of D1. I love our football team, but I sure wouldn't want to have to play Ohio St or MIchigan St on their field and be disappointed in the guys if they can't hang with them for 60 minutes.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Usually fringe top 25 teams can't really compete with top 5 teams in college basketball. It's the nature of D1. I love our football team, but I sure wouldn't want to have to play Ohio St or MIchigan St on their field and be disappointed in the guys if they can't hang with them for 60 minutes.
    Yes, you guys are correct and I was unreasonably negative on the "negatives" aspect of my post game comments. Considering their program advantages and the experience discrepancy our guys played a good game. I do fully believe that this group will be capable of, and will knock of some high majors in coming seasons and I look forward to it