Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico
Of course it is, and no, I'm not starting this topic because of the miserable UCDavis game at half.

But consider if we did get invited to the Gateway. *The Gateway is reguarded as one of the best, if not the *#1 D1AA conference year in and year out. *Tough, tough teams and wins are hard to come by.

Conference games alone are going to be tough. *With the ties NDSU has, consider the nonconference schedules. *Possibly a D1AA team like UofM, or other, and other top notch teams like UCDavis, Cal-Poly, the Montanas, etc.

I love the idea that NDSU wil.l be playing this top notch competition week in and out, but I'm not so sure we should put alot of weight in playoffs every year. *

It's an interesting debate, and yes I think it shouldn't matter because NDSU is a CLass A program, but a few slip ups in some games, we could kiss the playoffs goodbye with even the best of NDSU teams.
I don't like the idea of leaving the Great West...but if getting those 4 homes games in the conference will give some consistency to the schedule, I don't see how SU can turn it down. *It's a catch-22 in a way. *It's my opinion that Cal Poly will move up to DI-A as soon as they're allowed to. *UC Davis could possibly be in the same mind-set. *I think that they would prefer playing California teams like Fresno State, Long Beach St., Fullerton St., UCR (which is bringing back its football program), and others. *There are approximately 45 state universities in California. *Cal Poly & UC Davis will feel inclined to join their California peers when it's possible. *There's plenty of talent to recruit in the region. *The future of the Great West is uncertain, even without the possibility of SDSU and NDSU leaving. *I could be wrong...but that's what I see. *The Gateway would provide instant stability....and at least 4 meaningful home games each year. *SU will accept an invitation....with some reluctance. *