Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
I had been to a few concerts of his. Always fun how much he is into it. I was sneaking Prince music in the house since his second album until I was an adult. I could get lost in his music for days. I loved his early stuff because it was raw. He threw a lot of pop songs in there but mixed it up with a lot of great music along the way. It felt a lot of times he was putting albums together other people wanted and snuck in some great music he wanted to play.

Some of my favorite songs were more on the pop side, but they were brilliant. Adore, The Beautiful Ones, Sign o' the Times, Purple Rain, and If I was your Girlfriend. He could write in just about any style he wanted to. The proof is in the hits he wrote for others.

What I found interesting about him is when he was off on strange tangents in life, it wasn't for publicity. He was doing his own thing. Whether it was religion, music, film, or whatever; very rarely did it seem like he much cared if anyone liked it as long as he did. He was strange because he was strange, not because there was a pay off. While many do appreciate his ability with the guitar, I have always thought he was seriously underrated. A lot of it was because he liked his heavy fusion funk foundation to carry the rhythm and his playing was often understated. He didn't have to show he was good, he just was. If it didn't make sense musically, there was no room for it.

I do know that no one gets out of here alive and he left quite the legacy at a fairly young age.
I always placed his guitar right up there with the very best. I really enjoyed his music from the complicated to the simple....he wrote so many good songs. Such a talent...its a sad day