Thread: Centenary not happy?

Default Centenary not happy?

Terry V reports on Centenary and a possible move...
    http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sp...r.html#respond
    An excerpt from Shreveport Times writer Jimmy Watson’s Q and A with new Centenary AD Tom Tallach:
    Watson: There has been some on-campus talk about Centenary dropping from Division I to Division II or III. Is that something that scares you and was there any conversation with President Ken Schwab about that during the interview process?
    Tallach: “I have heard conversation about that and obviously I’m interested as an alum. But the central focus is and will continue to be that we are a Division I athletic program. We play in The Summit League. We have to go out and beat South Dakota State. We have to beat Missouri-Kansas City and IUPUI. My job is to make sure that we are competitive against the schools in our league, which is a Division I league. That’s where we are and that’s my focus and that’s what I have to do to make this a better situation for our student-athletes and to give our teams a better chance to be competitive.”
    Full article here: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...=2007707170319

Default Re: Centenary not happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Terry V reports on Centenary and a possible move...
    http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sp...r.html#respond

Full article here: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...=2007707170319
    Let the games begin...

OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Their AD just said in that interview they were committed to Division I. Centenary has been a DI school for at least 30 years now. Mediocre as they may be, they at least have a long DI history. They're not like Birmingham Southern, where they move up and then move back down again.

I don't see Centenary moving down divisions, but then again, I don't see them moving to a better conference than the Summit, either...
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Thanks for the info Blue+++

Yes, thanks Blue!

I'm hearing rumors again the Centerary wants to downgrade. Anything official on this, or just message board BS?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I'm hearing rumors again the Centerary wants to downgrade. Anything official on this, or just message board BS?
    I think it's the same info cycling around. Centenary's new AD said this summer that they're committed to DI, yet they are also one of seven schools that have recently inquired about DIII membership(May 2007). Centenary is also on five-year minimum contract similar to ours which expires after this year. I don't know if anyone truly know which way Centenary will go in the next few years.

I suppose the main reason it's being brought up now, is because of comments by USD's football coach telling boosters that a Summit/Gateway invite is almost a lock, and a rumor from Wichita State on AGS that apparently supports it. Assuming that those rumors aren't just hot air, a move by Centenary and/or Southern Utah is the most-likely precursor for USD getting into the Summit.

Answer: Yes, it's basically messageboard BS.