View Poll Results: How many members do you think the Summit League should have?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 The current setup is just great.

48 78.69%
  • 12 To allow for a divisional spilt.

11 18.03%
  • 14 The more the merrier.

2 3.28%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perfect number of schools in the Summit League...

Default Re: Perfect number of schools in the Summit League...

10 is perfect +++++

Any # is perfect that keeps UND OUT!

Ask the NSIC in a couple years about letting everyone and their dog in and having a split division. I predict that they will regret going to 14 teams. I say 10 is plenty for any conference.

big difference with NSIC they are letting in significant higher quality schools than existing members.

it would be like two or more missouri valley teams wanting in the summit, Douple would be happier than a puppy with two peepers.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Interesting article in the Grand Forks Herald today....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...ction=homepage

A few thoughts:

- It's pretty interesting to read Ed Grom's responses to the questions regarding the Summit League. When asked about expansion he definitely side-steps the question. He then goes on to say that there may be a new president to the league which pushes expansion. I think that in a round about way he indicates that there really is no desire to expand at this point.
    - Grom also states that they are in discussion with a few teams to join the Great West. He said that 2008 is ruled out and 2009 is also likely ruled out.
    - The D1 moratorium on moving up will may have a negative impact on the GWFC.

The most telling thing in the Herald story was when asked when UND would move up to the Summit League, the commish said "I have no idea". To me, that said it all. I'd say UND can forget the Summit any time soon, probably not even in 5 years.

I found this question to be very insulting:

Do you think The Summit League teams are a little concerned about the quality of South Dakota State and North Dakota State athletic programs?
    At least Grom answered diplomatically.

I think they're anxious to see how they compete. They've seen the facilities and met the coaches, and I think they'd like to see how successful they can be when, night in and night out, they have to play in a (Division I) conference game. . . . Oakland University came in the first year in 1999 in men's baskeball and won the regular-season title. That kind of opened some eyes.
    Any time the UND Herald can get their jabs in. Any time.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    The most telling thing in the Herald story was when asked when UND would move up to the Summit League, the commish said "I have no idea". To me, that said it all. I'd say UND can forget the Summit any time soon, probably not even in 5 years.
    Ahmen!!!!!!!!!!

10 as a number is perfect, but I voted for 12 and a split because I would like to see the $$$ dedicated to travel budgets being able to be redirected to things like recruiting budgets and other upgrades (facilities, etc.) that will only make us a more competitive DI athletic program, 10 is perfect only when the league makes way more geographical sense. . .btw - the NSIC is admitting three former members, and the upgrade isn't nearly as significant as it would have been 10 years ago - why rip them in this thread?