Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sioux Falls finalist for Summit BB Tourney

Default Re: Sioux Falls finalist for Summit BB Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by dmksioux View Post
    Please don't compare me with DaveK. I appreciate his passion for Sioux sports, but don't necessarily agree with his views. I actually respect the Bison sports program, particularily what they've done during their transition. I would hope the Sioux program's transition will go as smoothly and successfully. I wasn't trying to create a rift... I was actually hoping to see what Bison fans thought about the tourney being held in Sioux Falls. I occassionally browse through Bville threads. I recall reading some posts pertaining to whether or not the Bison should play the Sioux in any sport until "we are in good standing" with the NCAA in relation to the nickname. If Sioux Falls/Sioux nickname are not something you feel are related, fine...please state so in a respectful way and I won't continue to post on the subject.
    Let me appologize... I was very fiesty yesterday. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    Let me appologize... I was very fiesty yesterday. My bad.
    No worries...and I can see it's apparant bison fans don't have much of an opinion on this topic.

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by dmksioux View Post
    No worries...and I can see it's apparant bison fans don't have much of an opinion on this topic.
    Probably because no one see's any correlation.

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...706130333/1002

City submits Summit proposal
    Plan addresses locker room needs

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: June 13, 2007

Sioux Falls beat the clock, but it remains to be seen if its final attempt will find the mark.

Plans to address inadequacies inside the Arena were submitted to the Summit League office Monday, meaning Sioux Falls' proposal to host the men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010 will be presented at the league's joint council meeting that begins today in Chicago.

The other finalist is Tulsa, Okla., which will host for the fourth year in a row in 2008 at the 4-year-old, $22 million Union Multipurpose Activity Center.

Earlier this month, six Summit League officials toured Sioux Falls and its Arena, built in 1961, and confirmed four major shortcomings: the quality and quantity of locker rooms for officials and players and the lack of a media room and a training room.

Since the site visit, the parties involved in Sioux Falls' bid - the Sioux Falls Sports Authority, the Convention and Visitors Bureau and South Dakota State - have worked with the league and an architect on options for upgrading, reconfiguring or remodeling within the building's existing space to meet the needs of the 16-team NCAA Division I tournament. . . . (read more)
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

According to Terry Vandrovec(and other sources), it looks like Sioux Falls got the tourney. I admit I'm a bit surprised, but it sounds like the proposed changes to the arena were enough to allay the ADs' concerns.

Boy, when the NDSU and SDSU men and women meet in the championship games, that place is going to be nuts.

edit: here's the Argus Leader article:
    Summit League likely to announce Sioux Falls will host basketball tourneys in 2009
    (it should read Wed, not Tue, for the press conference)
    Last edited by Hammersmith; 06-27-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Good for Sioux Falls+++++

Latest update........news conference at 10 AM today.

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...31/1002/SPORTS

I might be missing this in other threads. SF has won the tournament bid. Great news for the Dakotas.

I can't wait to see the Bison go to the "Big Dance" on a court within driving distance of Fargo!

I'm suprised they took it away from Tulsa. Last year that place was rocking and it is like a mile from ORU. That place is really nice and it's a high school arena. Great for Sioux Falls.