Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Head Coach??????

Default New Head Coach??????

Who will be the new head coach? Want to get everyone's opinon. I was at the redhawks game today and if they could persuade Mongo away from the Redhawks I think that would be a outstanding hire. Him and his family are part of Fargo. He is young and his baseball credits speak for themselves. I will be the first to say it. Please Gene and please Lynn keep Mongo a bison and do the right thing.

Trim is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: New Head Coach??????

Please forgive my ignorance, who's Mongo?

Quote Originally Posted by sportguy View Post
    Who will be the new head coach? Want to get everyone's opinon. I was at the redhawks game today and if they could persuade Mongo away from the Redhawks I think that would be a outstanding hire. Him and his family are part of Fargo. He is young and his baseball credits speak for themselves. I will be the first to say it. Please Gene and please Lynn keep Mongo a bison and do the right thing.
    Gene said the other night that they would begin a Nationwide search as soon as possible, but there was no current deadline for getting the new coach hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, who's Mongo?
    Steve Montgomery the pitching coach for NDSU and the RedHawks.

I think the biggest question is what is Gene going to do for a salary for the new head coach? Mitch (not by choice) was half teaching and half coaching salary wise. He had been trying for years to become full time as head coach but Gene would not fund it. I believe athletics portion of Mitch's salary was around $20,000. Your not going to get anyone leaving even an NAIA for that kind of cash. So where is the extra $15-20,000 going to finally come from? The budgets are set. Is he going to take some money out of football and basketballs budgets to cover it like he did to baseball ($20,000) and softball ($30,000)two years ago to cover Tim Miles and his assistants new pay raises. Any coach that has had any success at a lower level will laugh at the scholarship level and what is allowed for so many other things. University of Mary even has more scholarships! Does anyone else see a major problem with that picture?

I think the biggest slap in the face was the fact that there were at least 4 if not 5 former students of Mitch's that were coaches in the athletic department last year that ALL made more then him. One even got a salary raise last year larger then he makes in a year. Talk about a slap in the face.

NDSU job appeals to F-M pitching coach

Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks pitching coach Steve Montgomery is interested in the vacant head baseball coaching job at North Dakota State.
    Montgomery said he met with North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor Wednesday to express his interest in the position...................

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Cool, let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo View Post
    Cool, let's see what happens.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I ran into one of the players last night who talked to Mongo and was told there were 25 applicants for the job. I personally would like to see Mongo get it. He's young and excited about the opportunity.

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A few of my questions to anyone who knows...

- Does Mongo have any recruiting experience?

- How much was he involved with the team operations under McLeod (scheduling, budget management, etc)?

- What kind of connections does he have to fill a coaching staff, and to network with high school and JUCO coaches for recruiting?

Looks like screening will begin Tuesday, June 12

The deadline for applications is next week, so there may be still more coming in. I heard that several D-I assistant coaches have applied.

533 In a row