Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayville State - Enrollment Problems, Debt

NanoBison Guest

Default Mayville State - Enrollment Problems, Debt

Mayville State is apparently $870,000 in the hole. They need to cut programs and staff positions or attract additional students to cover the new costs. Can somebody please tell me why we need to keep this institution open? The two doctorate schools in the state can easily absorb any programs they have.

I think we finally now have a chance to get rid of this school. I'm sure though, there is going to be those wanting to keep the school open to save Mayville-Portland. Band-Aid on a hemmoraging wound. That's all that school is.

Fargo-Forum Article : http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...p;section=News

Default Re: Mayville State - Enrollment Problems, Debt

Just couldn't stay away, could you Nano? ;D They always come crawling back.

Once again, the debate will start. Once again, people will fight like mad to keep that school - along with numerous others - open. Once again, lawmakers will find a way to either put the burden on the taxpayers or through the students. Once again the lawmakers will close their eyes to common sense and make sure they still have jobs come the next election.

Sickening and sadening!
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

IowaBison Guest

Actually, it is possible to kill the school imo; what is needed is a concerted effort.

There is little statewide benefit and signicant local interest. What is needed is a serious grassroots effort.

All that is really needed is a brochure with some about eight facts on it (all relating to $$$) and a couple of tv adds.

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just more proof of what many have been saying all along. Having schools such as Mayville State and VCSU ect are not good ways of spending the States Higher ed money. It's just not fiscally responsible. Unfortunately I don't see one politician with the integrity to just say it like it is and call a spade a spade. Sorry Mayville but it's nothing more then state welfare, no different for the other smaller institutions funded by the state. Wasteful spending.

You know, if the student enrollment keeps trending the way it has been, the students will take care of the problem themselves. The lack of students wanting to go to Mayville will be virtually zero and they'll have to close the school. I can't even believe the state is thinking of bailing out MaSU. What a frickin' joke! >
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

insane_ponderer Guest

It is pretty obvious that saving the town of mayville by continually bailing out the school to the tune of $800k+ is just not a good idea.

The biggest problem is that the names of state supported schools are in the North Dakota Constitution and it will take an amendment of that to close any one of them. Ellendale was eliminated many years ago that way.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    The biggest problem is that the names of state supported schools are in the North Dakota Constitution and it will take an amendment of that to close any one of them. *Ellendale was eliminated many years ago that way.
    The community eventually found an alternative(Trinity Bible School) that may be an excellent way to transition others but it should happen in an evolving not revolutionary sense. But as always Road-You be the man!

NanoBison Guest

Has anyone read some of the comments these idiots on the Forum talk are spewing to convince us to keep Mayville State open?

http://www.in-forum.com/talk/index.c...7&submit=1

One person actually said, "close NDSU, you already have MSUM and Concordia". Yes, close NDSU....
    Some other morons suggested closing UND as well. I may not like UND, but they have a good impact on the economy as well...

Sound : *poof* {NDSU disappears}
    Gov. Hoeven : "What was that?"
    Pres. Chapman : "We just lost $1 billion dollars in the states economy"
    Gov. Hoeven : "Oh No !!!"
    Sound : *poof*
    Gov. Hoeven : "What was that?"
    Pres. Kupchella : "Sorry sir, brain fart".

(I know its not on caliber of TransAmBisons stuff, but hey, I try)

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    The biggest problem is that the names of state supported schools are in the North Dakota Constitution and it will take an amendment of that to close any one of them. Ellendale was eliminated many years ago that way.

So keep them open.

Turn Mayville and Valley City into junior colleges..