Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: UND Athletic Director Tom Buning Says...

Default UND Athletic Director Tom Buning Says...

The time is now to go D-1. He said it today at a press conference in which UND's task force released its findings to President Kupchella. He said that that is his recommendation to Kupchella. Some other intersting things came out at the press conference as well.

Default Re: UND Athletic Director Tom Buning Says...

What kind of interesting items? Don't leave us hangin'...

Quote Originally Posted by mn-bison
    What kind of interesting items? Don't leave us hangin'...
    Just trying to build some suspense. He said that with NDSU, SDSU, and Northern Colorado gone, NCC just isn't the same. And there isn't any quality schools to replace them. He said he doesn't see the point of being the top dog in D2 anymore because there is little reward. He was very adament.

I thought Bunning was in favor of moving up. Kupchella, on the other hand, now that's the $64,000 question.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

mikelsch Guest

I like Bunning -- he's a likeable guy, good leader, a straight shooter, and has great perspective coming in from an untainted outside source. *Sounds similar to Gene Taylor when he came to NDSU. *Unfortunately for UND, the same comparison cannot be made with the presidents, who ultimately make the call. *

Bunning realizes that UND's peers are now (or already were) in Division I, and isn't afraid to take the chance of being an ordinary fish in the big pond. *The old pond (DII and the NCC) is drying up and there is no water or other big fish in sight. *Spots in midwest/west DI conferences don't open up very often as they have learned from NDSU. The time for them to move to DI is now; or risk missing their opportunity. *The extra required money to move is there, they just have to try harder to find it.

Link to UND's DI study
    http://www.und.edu/president/taskforce.html

It should be not be a surprise to anyone that Buning is for the move to D-I.

533 In a row

broke_back_mnt Guest

After reading the report from the DI committee up there (its posted on suesports) they have work to do, but that report did not reveal any major roadblocks. *Putting Bunings comments together with the talk on DII football.com (UND is a DI lock and SCSU is right behind), and the report, I am of the opinion they will move. *I still think they will respect the 18 month notice to the NCC. *Their last season in the NCC and DII will probably be 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    It should be not be a surprise to anyone that Buning is for the move to D-I.
    It should be a surprise. He has not tipped his hand until today. It might have been the best guess, but it never came from him.

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders
    [quote author=roadwarrior link=1149105305/0#5 date=1149110703]It should be not be a surprise to anyone that Buning is for the move to D-I.
    It should be a surprise. *He has not tipped his hand until today. *It might have been the best guess, but it never came from him. *[/quote]

It's been no secret that Bunning desires to move to DI and has tipped his hand many times. Why shouldn't Bunning publically state that DI would be in the best interest of his program, after all isn't that his job? But as everyone knows for now it is not his decision to make, so his opinion is only window dressing for the man in charge, President Kupchella. Sort of an embarrassing position to be in.

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DIBISON
    [quote author=Flanders link=1149105305/0#7 date=1149113507][quote author=roadwarrior link=1149105305/0#5 date=1149110703]It should be not be a surprise to anyone that Buning is for the move to D-I.
    It should be a surprise. *He has not tipped his hand until today. *It might have been the best guess, but it never came from him. *[/quote]

It's been no secret that Bunning desires to move to DI and has tipped his hand many times. *Why shouldn't Bunning publically state that DI would be in the best interest of his program, after all isn't that his job? *But as everyone knows for now it is not his decision to make, *so his opinion is only window dressing for the man in charge, President Kupchella. *Sort of an embarrassing position to be in.[/quote]

How long will it be before Bunning gets fired by Pres. K? Just kidding, but I agree, it must indeed be an embarrassing position to be in.