Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortfall up North

Default Re: Shortfall up North

Looking at Exhibit 13B which shows revenues and expenses by sport and total there is a little over 200k deficit and the report says for fiscal year 2005. So the horse mouth has not spoken for fiscal 2006. What I dont understand is why with a winning football program and great crowds, revenues do not cover all expenses for fiscal 2005 for a sport like football. Could the City of Grand Forks be living off of UND? Its time for Cup of Jello to wake up and smell the coffee.

PROJECTED TOTAL REVENUES AND EXPENSES FISCAL YEAR

revenue * * expenses * *difference
    men 6,715,069.00 6,258,710.00 456,359.00
    woment 1,692,951.00 2,359,898.00 (666,947.00)

totals 8,408,020.00 8,618,608.00 (210,588.00)

football 1,548,902.00 1,558,046.00 (9,144.00)

These figured do include men and women hockey which reflect about 800k excess margins for men hockey and and about 260k deficit for women's hockey.

Just judging from a cursory review of the full UND report, UND appears to have borrowed a Carr Report from NDSU or SDSU and tried to follow the format. The problem here and at USD, is that internal people are doing the review and often they unintentionally can over look things often they may have less than objective observations. That is why Carr is well worth the 30k that he charges.

IowaBison Guest

I wouldn't venture down the path you are, SDSUFAN.

It is very difficult to get an accurate picture of an athletic department's numbers presented this way.

An athletic department has significant leeway in defining what revenues and expenses to attribute to each sport.

In the case of UND, their football program may be near breakeven according to their books while much of the alumni and institutional support (which usually goes into a big pot) is given with that sports in mind.

(Also, those are projected 2005 numbers.)

IowaBison Guest

To put this in perspective, the $850,000 UND is supposedly short is DOUBLE the amount UNO reported earlier this summer. This made very big news in Nebraska and throughout the Upper Great Plains sports community.

I doubt that UND's books will get any news in the media (which I do understand).

broke_back_mnt Guest

Quotes from another board are as good as any source, and I like to quote my sources. Just because I thought the explanation was ridiculous doesn't make it any more or less appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by JBB
    Quotes from another board are as good as any source, and I like to quote my sources. *Just because I thought the explanation was ridiculous doesn't make it any more or less appropriate. *
    Stand your ground JBB this is the LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDakotaBison
    To put this in perspective, the $850,000 UND is supposedly short is DOUBLE the amount UNO reported earlier this summer. *This made very big news in Nebraska and throughout the Upper Great Plains sports community.

I doubt that UND's books will get any news in the media (which I do understand).
    This is a legitimate point NorthDakotaBison points out and a good question as to why the media isn't asking any questions about it. It seems the Forum was to preoccupied with covering the Potts Chapman story and this just isn't getting any ink. If its as some would like to have us believe (no big deal) then why not check it out and write about it accordingly? Is this a hornets nest waiting to be uncovered or what? I understand that with UNO its one person who's really raised the red flag with their budget, don't we have one person in ND who is interested in seeing the whole picture?

Swaghook is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

They probably figure the state will bail them out. And with a $526 million dollar surplus in the state tax coffers, they probably will be. :-/

IowaBison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker

This is a legitimate point NorthDakotaBison points out and a good question as to why the media isn't asking any questions about it. It seems the Forum was to preoccupied with covering the Potts Chapman story and this just isn't getting any ink. If its as some would like to have us believe (no big deal) then why not check it out and write about it accordingly? Is this a hornets nest waiting to be uncovered or what? I understand that with UNO its one person who's really raised the red flag with their budget, don't we have one person in ND who is interested in seeing the whole picture?
    The catch is that the bad news would seriously damage the media outlet's relationship with UND.

As a result, I don't see anyone investigating it too deeply.

You could try contacting the Forum Sports Dept. but I'm fairly confident they would give a 'well worded' explanation of why they haven't and probably won't look into the matter.

At the same time, NDSU has come up short itself from time to time and could again. An investigation would really open up Pandora's Box.

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

At the same time, NDSU has come up short itself from time to time and could again. *An investigation would really open up Pandora's Box.[/quote]

How short, and when did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison
    [quote author=NorthDakotaBison link=1156517084/15#27 date=1156643541]At the same time, NDSU has come up short itself from time to time and could again. *An investigation would really open up Pandora's Box.
    How short, and when did this happen?
    [/quote]
    I think he might be refering to 2004-05 when NDSU's athletic department was running a small deficit. I believe it was less than $50,000 and it was covered by a single benefactor. It's also the reason why NDSU's revenues and expenses are exactly the same that year($7,688,488) on the OPE website. [link]http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Search.asp[/link]