Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current College Wrestling

IowaBison Guest

Default Current College Wrestling

Of all the sports that I am most excited about for NDSU over the next few years, wrestling definitely stands out.

There are fewer and fewer teams each year due to Title 9.

NDSU has a program that is clearly competitive top 25 week in and week out in DI IMHO.

If we continue to recruit top grapplers in the Dakotas and Minnesota, while competing with Minnesota, Iowa and the Big 12 schools (that offer wrestling), we should be set.

The best thing about wresting is that one all-American can make your program for 4 years.

Default Re: Current College Wrestling

Coincidentally, NDSU signed three more wrestlers today.

gobison.com: Bison Ink Three

So far I count five wrestlers, 3 men's basketball players, 5 women's basketball players, 2 women's tracksters, I've heard of a goalie for the soccer team (not on gobison.com yet though), and two baseball players. That is more people signing than I can ever remember before.

BisonMav Guest

author=tony
    That is more people signing than I can ever remember before.
    Had the same conversation with a SDSU alum at work today. More recruits, and recruits with Division I resume's.

IowaBison Guest

I don't think the recruiting can all be attributable to NDSU going DI. I think recruiting has become much more formal in the last twenty years and as athletics has become big business, much more important.

BisonMav Guest

There is a big difference from even last year though.

somebison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    Coincidentally, NDSU signed three more wrestlers today.

gobison.com: Bison Ink Three

So far I count five wrestlers, 3 men's basketball players, 5 women's basketball players, 2 women's tracksters, I've heard of a goalie for the soccer team (not on gobison.com yet though), and two baseball players. That is more people signing than I can ever remember before.

Looks like the NCAA may reduce the probation period for "olympic sports", wrestling track etc... which will be huge in recruiting as wrestlers and tracksters will be eligible for nationals two years from now

http://www.in-forum.com/columnists/i...st=jeffkolpack

IowaBison Guest

There it is, a guy who knows more about collegiate wrestling (Mooney) thinking that we could be a top 10 DI program. And UND's squad went the way of the Dodo.

wfduck Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBison
    There it is, a guy who knows more about collegiate wrestling (Mooney) thinking that we could be a top 10 DI program. *And UND's squad went the way of the Dodo.

whoaaaa
    easy on the dodo
    i KNEW the dodo
    don't through the dodo in
    with the SUE---they suck

JBB Guest

This seems to be a lot different than the dire predictions that local and regional student/athletes would be left out if NDSU went D1. I think its attracting more of them. I also agree with an earlier post that I read. NDSU moving to DI will in fact improve the skills of the local student/athletes because they will set their sights higher and achieve more.

somebison Guest

The wrestling team had some good finishes over the weekend in a tournament that included d1 powerhouses, (iowa state and minnesota, etc)
    http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/n...dex.cgi?id=820