Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the bison...

Default Question about the bison...

Whats everyone's opinion on why the womens basketball team has struggled? I personally thinks it due to bad recruiting by Ruley. I think the AD really needs to look into making some changes. I know alot of people are going to say Ruley should be able to coach as long as she wants but if she has another season like last year I think a change needs to be made. If no change is made it could be a long time before we see the women with a good basketball team we are used to.

Default Re: Question about the bison...

I think it's the recruiting.

I don't know much about women's basketball, and recruiting, but Katie Lorenz was the last legit recruit that Amy brought in and that was 5 years ago.

I hate to say it, but UND brings quality players in every year still, and I know they haven't had to deal with the tranistion like NDSU has, it still makes me wonder if Amy is getting the girls she wants, or if she thinks she sees something in the ones she brings in and they don't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico
    I think it's the recruiting.

I don't know much about women's basketball, and recruiting, but Katie Lorenz was the last legit recruit that Amy brought in and that was 5 years ago.

I hate to say it, but UND brings quality players in every year still, and I know they haven't had to deal with the tranistion like NDSU has, it still makes me wonder if Amy is getting the girls she wants, or if she thinks she sees something in the ones she brings in and they don't pan out.
    I agree...I think if NDSU has another year or 2 like last year the recruiting could get really grim and the program will drop really fast

Yea I hear ya.

Maybe she should drop the white knee pads rule, and some of the girls will come.

I'm kidding ofcourse, but has the women's team always wore those knee pads? I don't remember the Bison wearing them before.

Does anyone know why they wear the knee pads?

I think it looks lame.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico
    Yea I hear ya. *

Maybe she should drop the white knee pads rule, and some of the girls will come.

I'm kidding ofcourse, but has the women's team always wore those knee pads? *I don't remember the Bison wearing them before.

I think it looks lame.

I thought it was due to someone (Lorenz??) that injured her knee falling to the court.

Are they now mandatory??
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

I think Amy has some quality Division I kids in Samuelson and Walseth. I say quality because these kids were recruited by Division I schools. That may not mean a lot but it seems to be an upgrade from where we were. Granted they are not playing now but they are practicing against the current team everyday.

Rather than looking at what UND brings in, its probably more useful to look at SDSU and what Aaron is doing with that team. It can be argued that they have transitioned more successfully to Division I but he is using quite a few regional kids. So it might not be all recruiting.
    Formerly (and currently) BlueKeyAlum

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy
    [quote author=silkamilkamonico link=1162438043/0#3 date=1162439561]Yea I hear ya. *

I'm kidding ofcourse, but has the women's team always wore those knee pads? *I don't remember the Bison wearing them before.

I think it looks lame.

I thought it was due to someone (Lorenz??) that injured her knee falling to the court.

Are they now mandatory?? [/quote]

I don't know and was wondering that myself. The Dragons weren't wearing them, so maybe it's a D1 thing.

Every single NDSU player had them on, so I don't think it was a preference thing, unless all the girls decided too for some sort of team unity.

Maybe Amy did make it a rule to prevent further injury?

GFBisonFan Guest

I think that it is recruiting and the transition period. Now that we are coming out of the transition period and into a solid conference, I would expect recruiting to pick up and the teams to be better, two to three years down the road.

In terms of the school up north, their recruiting has not been hurt yet-wait for the transition and see how well the recruit well. I agree, we have to look toward SDSU and compare to them as they are more similar to us in that regard.

I agree that joining the mid-con should only help with recruiting but we have not done well that last few years in that department.

Amy stated previously that she was going to start recruiting Detroit and Indianapolis. The Mid-Con should help with that.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved