Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How ugly is this season going to get?

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default How ugly is this season going to get?

Two embarrassing losses at home to teams that the ladies should have dominated. Wow what happened to Amy and her coaching/recruiting? :-/

Default Re: How ugly is this season going to get?

Amy's a great coach. Always has been, always will be.

Her recruiting on the other hand remains in question, as evident by the skill level of the players that are on the team.

SDSUHuskies Guest

Two words: Tessa Wilka
    one of the most versatile players in all of South Dakota basketball (and that includes males!)
    one of the hardest workers
    played well in Durham, NC
    an elite guard...two-time Street and Smith H.M. All-American
    By the time she gets here next season, the girls from this years squad will have a year under their belt..it's not too early to start thinking Sweet Sixteen NCAA and Conference champs by the time Wilka and some of thep layers now and upperclassmen...good things come to those who wait for it!

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUHuskies
    By the time she gets here next season, the girls from this years squad will have a year under their belt..it's not too early to start thinking Sweet Sixteen NCAA and Conference champs by the time Wilka and some of thep layers now and upperclassmen...good things come to those who wait for it!

I'm surely not thinking conference championships any time soon.

At this point, I would just like to win against a Divison 2 team.

We have a lot of talent coming in and a lot of talent on the bench. Amy needs to set some reasonable goals for this team to work toward this season to build off for next year.

Right now we're 0-0 and starting the season.
    Formerly (and currently) BlueKeyAlum

kchats Guest

If they can't make three point shots they should quit shooting them. Know your range and work for a good shot within your range. A 2 point basketball is much better than a missed 3 point shot. There is still the old fashioned three point play where you draw a foul on a drive to the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by kchats
    If they can't make three point shots they should quit shooting them. *
    My question is, and I'm not in position to see the team play, whether they running plays to free up a long distance shooter, (screens or drive and kick out) or are they tssing them up from anywhere?

You can't go cold turkey from long distance, because teams will cheat and clog the lane and as pointed out, this team isn;t fast enough, or quick enough to power their way into the lane without turning it over...
    Formerly (and currently) BlueKeyAlum

Coach_W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUHuskies
    Two words: Tessa Wilka
    one of the most versatile players in all of South Dakota basketball (and that includes males!)

She better be a Taurasi or Holdsclaw to bring this group to the Sweet 16. Has the Mid-Con ever had a women's team in the Sweet 16? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDakSt
    [quote author=kchats link=1162740868/0#5 date=1162764602]If they can't make three point shots they should quit shooting them. *
    My question is, and I'm not in position to see the team play, whether they running plays to free up a long distance shooter, (screens or drive and kick out) or are they tssing them up from anywhere? *

You can't go cold turkey from long distance, because teams will cheat and clog the lane and as pointed out, this team isn;t fast enough, or quick enough to power their way into the lane without turning it over...[/quote]

They run no offensive sets to success whatsoever. The girls aren't quick enough to get open, or strong enough to beat their defender.

The only times we are able to score in both games, are on fast breaks or defensive breakdowns.

We won't win any games this year if we have to rely on our halfcourt game.

SDSUHuskies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Coach W
    [quote author=SDSUHuskies link=1162740868/0#2 date=1162762631]Two words: Tessa Wilka

She better be a Taurasi or Holdsclaw to bring this group to the Sweet 16. *Has the Mid-Co ever had a women's team in the Sweet 16? *I can't remember.[/quote]
    I'd like to say that NDSU and SDSU bring a new wave of excitement and interest to the Mid-Co Conference: particually women's basketball, each of which has had success in recent years at the NCAA D2 on a national level. I'm not saying Wilka will do it alone, I'm just saying: give the girls this year a taste, add in the great recruits for next season, give THEM a few years and by the time they are upperclassmen, a sweet sixteen berth wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility would it? I like Amy's coaching tactics and I think either SDSU and NDSU will be representing the Mid-Co in the NCAA's once they are post-season eligible. Noone thought Maryland would ever win the NCAA Women's championship in 2006...noone gave Minnesota even the slightest of odds of knocking off Duke in the 2004 Elite Eight and most certainly noone saw it coming when #16 seed Harvard led by Alison Feaster knocked off #1 Stanford in '98..if the women's game has shown us anything, it's that anything is possible.