Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Uniforms?

Default School Uniforms?

My dad is a principal in a public high school and I've often brought up the topic of school uniforms with him. I wanted to see what people outside of academia think about public schools requiring uniforms?

I for one think that they should go to uniforms and have always felt this way. I feel that clothing is one of the biggest problems in schools. I know everyone says freedom of speech and whatever but these are 18 year olds and under.

I like the idea, just thought I'ld throw it out there and see what others opinions are.

Default Re: School Uniforms?

A dress code, maybe, but I don't think that uniforms are necessary.

I graduated in 1992 from a public school and don't remember any problems arising from clothing. :-/
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

I graduated from a public school in 1991 and we didn't seem to have any problems with dress-code at that time either. But I think times have changed. The girls you see are dressed like hookers and the guys are wearing clothes that are 5 sizes too big.

I think it's the parents responsibility to make sure their kids dress respectfully, but that doesn't seem to be happening. :-/

Only go to uniforms if the girls are in short skirts, knee high boots, and tight shirts.

greenandgold01 Guest

No.

College is a time when students need to build up their individuality and learn who they are.

The best argument I have seen in favor of school uniforms is that it equalizes the students, and avoids a clothing "arms race".

Quote Originally Posted by Rodentia
    The best argument I have seen in favor of school uniforms is that it equalizes the students, and avoids a clothing "arms race".
    This is the reason I think it is a good idea. g&g01 I'm not talking about college, but high school and below. Just think how much less money you would spend on clothes. Remember wanting those $60 Girbaud jeans, well those are now $140 Abercrombie jeans. I think that the kids who couldn't afford to buy the nice clothes got picked on and maybe ended up not being friends with those who could and that is a very sad situation.

IowaBison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

This is the reason I think it is a good idea. *g&g01 I'm not talking about college, but high school and below. *Just think how much less money you would spend on clothes. *Remember wanting those $60 Girbaud jeans, well those are now $140 Abercrombie jeans. *I think that the kids who couldn't afford to buy the nice clothes got picked on and maybe ended up not being friends with those who could and that is a very sad situation.
    but who wants to be friends with shallow jerks?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDakotaBison

but who wants to be friends with shallow jerks?
    It's not always that they are shallow jerks, but sometimes that maybe the person who doesn't have the clothing feels like he cannot go talk to the other people or sometimes feels less of themselves because of their not having these clothes.

IowaBison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

It's not always that they are shallow jerks, but sometimes that maybe the person who doesn't have the clothing feels like he cannot go talk to the other people or sometimes feels less of themselves because of their not having these clothes. *
    you're right, it's tough enough being a teenager

and i do agree with school uniforms