Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SI's Top Athletic High Schools

Default SI's Top Athletic High Schools

Sports Illustrated has their ranking for top athletic high schools state-by-state and who's #1 from ND.....Grand Forks Red River!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...map0516/1.html

Herd_Mentality Guest

Default Re: SI's Top Athletic High Schools

I wonder if they even considered any class B schools...

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Mentality
    I wonder if they even considered any class B schools...
    Probably not. The #'s just wouldn't be that impressive would they? Who would be the best Class B school in the state, and what does their championship count look like in the past ten years (SI's criteria) I'm sure they just looked quickly at who has the most championships, probably didn't go into a lot of detail.

Herd_Mentality Guest

Well, the problem is about like the Sear's trophy in division II. Class A schools typically have a lot more sports that are offered...and in ND, as a class A school you really don't have that many schools to beat to win a championship. I mean...the blurb mentions tennis for crying out loud.

Class B schools wouldn't have the high number of championships because most Class B schools don't offer all the sports that Class A schools do -- hockey, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, etc.

As far as good Class B schools, I think Dickinson Trinity and Velva would be two of the best. *Dickinson has had several football championships and a BB one or two. *Velva dominates in FB and occassionally in wrestling and baseball.

I didn't notice that Herd M. mentioned the same facts before I had inputted my comments.

greenandgold01 Guest

Well, the problem is about like the Sear's trophy in division II. Class A schools typically have a lot more sports that are offered...and in ND, as a class A school you really don't have that many schools to beat to win a championship. I mean...the blurb mentions tennis for crying out loud.

If you notice, Edina got Minnesota's nod for having won many championships in such glory filled sports as alpine skiing and tennis.

Oh, and who could forget swimming!

lol!

Well, the problem is about like the Sear's trophy in division II. *Class A schools typically have a lot more sports that are offered...and in ND, as a class A school you really don't have that many schools to beat to win a championship. *I mean...the blurb mentions tennis for crying out loud.
    Red River has also won many championships in Volleyball, and Hockey in the past 10 years and been very successful in other sports. I think it was a very good choice!

Bison_Dan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

Red River has also won many championships in *Volleyball, and Hockey in the past 10 years and been very successful in other sports. *I think it was a very good choice! *
    I don't - It's too bad they give equal weight to tennis as they do fb. Fargo South has it all over on RR for overall sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison_Dan

I don't - It's too bad they give equal weight to tennis as they do fb. *Fargo South has it all over on RR for overall sports.
    FS has about as many students as RR and GFC combined too. RR probably has as many State titles as FS or more in the past 10 years anyway so that argument isn't very good.

I don't know who is best, but Williston High is possibly the worst of the schools due to their lack of appearances in state meets. This last season was the first for the Coyotes since the Nixon administration*

*(actually, they probably have made other appearances, but in the end they still suck)

It always was an exciting time when our football team actually won a game, not for the win but because it didn't happen that often.