Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizen Support For Air Bases Needed

Bisonfan1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Citizen Support For Air Bases Needed

Conrad, Dorgan and Pomeroy are asking for help in keeping all three North Dakota Air Bases Open. Minot, Grand Forks, and the Fargo "Happy Hooligans" Of the ND Air Guard. They are asking you visit their web sites and sign the online petitions. I did , and found that Pomeroy's site took the least time as all you did was register and check the box of all 3 Air Bases. With ROTC programs at Both NDSU and UNDII, and besides many other reasons, the bases should be kept open. It takes only a minute to register. *www.pomeroy.house.gov *
    www.dorgan.senate.gov
    www.conrad.senate.gov * * * * * * * * * * * *
    West Lot Champions - 2008 Bison Pride Award/2009 Best Set-Up & Fan Favorite/ 2010 Fan Favorite / 2011 Fan Favorite - TOHBTC

Herd_Mentality Guest

Default Re: Citizen Support For Air Bases Needed

As much as I support the bases staying open, I don't think the Minot base has quite the worries that the GF air force base does. Minot still has the missle wing...GF's base no longer has a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Mentality
    As much as I support the bases staying open, I don't think the Minot base has quite the worries that the GF air force base *does. *Minot still has the missle wing...GF's base no longer has a mission. *
    Why don't you give us the run down on what base does what, why each should stay open and what is needed for each to stay open. I don't know much about the bases and would like to know more before I support them.

IowaBison Guest

GF has refueling tankers.

Minot has bombers and a missle wing.

Neither base should stay open, but hopefully they make the cut.

Nothing can really be done at the present time to 'save' either. The BRAC is designed to ignore political pressuring.

At the same time every community is doing the same thing..lobbyists, political support....

greenandgold01 Guest

What about the Fargo air force base?

IowaBison Guest

it's an air guard fighter wing

Herd_Mentality Guest

I don't see Minot closing for the simple reason that they do have the remaining missle wing. Grand Forks has no more missles. The tankers were based there as a reason to keep it open more than anything else and really don't NEED to be there like the missile command.

I'd think with several international airports in the area the air guard would possibly have a slighty better chance of staying open than Grand Forks.

I think there are three missile wings left in the country - Minot, Wyoming, and Montana. The proposal by somebody in DC to reduce the number of missiles has all the missile bases worried about closure.

There are two B-52 bases left - Minot and Barksdale. As long as the Defense Dept. keeps the 52's flying they both should stay open, but the 52's are getting to be old planes. One thing that ND bases have going for them is the "open and uncluttered" air space. Apparently the air traffic over ND skies is less here than other states which allows for better practice.

All three military facilities provide a large economic impact to the communities and state. It would be bad to see any of the three close.

IowaBison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 87Bisonfan
    I think there are three missile wings left in the country - Minot, Wyoming, and Montana. *The proposal by somebody in DC to reduce the number of missiles has all the missile bases worried about closure. *

There are two B-52 bases left - Minot and Barksdale. *As long as the Defense Dept. keeps the 52's flying they both should stay open, but the 52's are getting to be old planes. *One thing that ND bases have going for them is the "open and uncluttered" air space. *Apparently the air traffic over ND skies is less here than other states which allows for better practice. *

All three military facilities provide a large economic impact to the communities and state. *It would be bad to see any of the three close.
    the problem with that logic is that it's not that difficult to move a bomber wing

I think that would be the problem with any base that has airplanes (Generally, all you need are some runways and a hanger or two). It comes down to how much does the military value the open skies in ND vs other states.

Another point they may consider is what would it cost to expand existing bases to accomodate the bases being closed, if necessary. Expanding a base in CA or east coast may cost alot more $$ than buying a few cheap acres in ND.