Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor
    Jim Coykendall for Calculus

I had Val Smith and Llloyd Olson...bad, bad, BAD.

2nd for Coykendall. I heard such horror stories about his class before i took it, but once i got in there, his enthusiasm and teaching style did it for me.

Ron Ramsay, prof. of Architectural History. He was like a storyteller, and his lectures were really entertaining. I always looked forward to his class.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Gamehunter Guest

Well, the thing with Coykendall is that most people find his class very difficult and then drop out. The tests are extremely difficult, no doubt, but it is curved and he is always willing to help you get through it.

Coykendall made going to 8am class almost fun. I think i only skipped lecture once.

Gamehunter Guest

Ohh, another one of my favorites is Terry Pilling for Univeristy Physics. I dunno if very many of you would know him though. That class was very fun, and quite easy too. He loved to tell stories.

My favorite was Ernie Anderson in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. He loved to talk football in class and really was a joy. He was retired (professor emeritus) but still taught and was the best teacher I ever had. He oftened told "war stories" about amplifier designs that he did when he worked in the industry, and often new the namesakes of circuit designs (I remember him talking about "my friend Otto Schmitt" as we learned about the Schmitt trigger, a well known waveform generator that is in every electronics textbook).

My favorite memory is of the time that my roommates and I were cramming for a test one night and couldn't agree on how to solve a particular problem. On a lark, we called Ernie. He said, "Why don't you come by my house and we'll go through it together?". So my roommates and I drove over and spent the evening studying with our teacher. He passed away my senior year.

I hadn't thought about him for a while - thanks for this thread. It makes me realize how lucky I was to attend NDSU.

God bless Ernie.

Craig

BisonMav Guest

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor
    Ohh, another one of my favorites is Terry Pilling for Univeristy Physics. *I dunno if very many of you would know him though. *That class was very fun, and quite easy too. *He loved to tell stories.
    I took physics from Phil Hetland, great comedy routine. He almost lost the family jewels in class one day. He had the long spring out to show wave motion. The student holding the other end of the spring let go. Phil's eye's got as big a baseballs.

Trimmy Guest

Coykendall - Calculus
    Patrick "PK" Kelly - Physics

My vote would go to Curtis Amlund in Political Science......truely the college prof type......

wfduck Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN
    My vote would go to Curtis Amlund in Political Science......truely the college prof type......
    I'll agree he was the prototype college prof. but he was a little over the top? " :PI don't know the zip code" :P