Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I should say that Mark Meister probably did me the biggest favor by not letting me into grad school. I wanted to get my graduate degrees in communications and become an academic. I had a less than ideal transcript so he said no.

I make way more and work way less than my wife does now.
    My sincere sympathy to your wife ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post
    Glad this thread was re-opened.

Thor Hertzguard and Bill Nelson from the Ag Econ mafia. Doris Fisher from the math / statistics arena.

Bill taught me to always read and understand chapter one. Thor made macro real interesting and always had stories. And Doris made statistics make sense.
    Thor was good with his economic story "Shoot the pigs". Cole Gustafson was my favorite. Ag Econ professor who passed away in a farm accident a few years ago.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfanette View Post
    My sincere sympathy to your wife ...
    Yep, she's constantly working at night, grading, writing, researching.

I don't work half that hard. Don't worry, she gets to spend it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Fred Haring

Math Professor who instructed me in Calc V (quarter system back in the day). He made you solve the problems and write an essay on how you were solving the problem and why. When I was done with that class I knew multivariable calculus inside and out. Unfortunately I haven't used it since and forgot it all.

After the first test, most of the class bombed the test. The first class after that test students came in and complained for the first 15 minutes about how "hard" the test was. Dr. Haring just let them rant and after he had enough he undoes the buttons on his arm and rolls his sleeve up. He then shows the class an ID tattoo the Germans gave him at a concentration camp during WWII and he looks at the class and simply said "You don't know what hard is". He rolled his sleeve up to complete silence in the room and began his next lecture. The next class I'd say 2/3 of the class was gone.
    We had Fred Haring as a replacement for an ill teacher during fall semester of 2008 for Differential Equations. One of his stipulations for coming back to teach was that he wanted the final for the class to be 2-3 weeks before the final, because he wasn't going to be spending any time in December in North Dakota, he was going to Hawaii.

The first test he gave we did very poorly on, no one really complained though. A few showed up late during the class he was handing back the test, and as they came up to receive their tests he gave comments along the lines of "No need to cry about your score, everyone did poorly"

The rest of the semester went super smoothly in that class after the first test!
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sean Sather-Wagstaff made Calc II a ton of fun. Explained things really well and was funny as hell.

"A theorem without a proof is like a good movie without a f*ck scene."
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

Dr. Tom McDonald. Crazy SOB, but awesome.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gotts View Post
    We had Fred Haring as a replacement for an ill teacher during fall semester of 2008 for Differential Equations. One of his stipulations for coming back to teach was that he wanted the final for the class to be 2-3 weeks before the final, because he wasn't going to be spending any time in December in North Dakota, he was going to Hawaii.

The first test he gave we did very poorly on, no one really complained though. A few showed up late during the class he was handing back the test, and as they came up to receive their tests he gave comments along the lines of "No need to cry about your score, everyone did poorly"

The rest of the semester went super smoothly in that class after the first test!

Did he still makes students write an essay? Don’t remember much about diff e q, maybe that didn’t lend itself to writing an essay?
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

gotts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Did he still makes students write an essay? Don’t remember much about diff e q, maybe that didn’t lend itself to writing an essay?
    No, he didn't. He took over about 3 weeks into the semester, started over with teaching the content from the beginning of the course, and ended 2-3 weeks early. Basically he packed an entire semester into about 10 weeks. I think if I had to go fully in depth to Diff Eq, I wouldn't have passed.
    Golden Rules of Bisonville:
    Being self-aware is knowing your head is firmly planted up your ass
    Never let facts get in the way of a good argument

Surefire Successful Bisonville Conversation Starters: Move to FBS, Scream Yellow, Zipper Merge, Pickleball Championships, Transfer Portal, The Rainforest, Fire Vigen Save Season, Fargodome Expansion, Toxic Locker Rooms, Marlboro Matt, Veer Offense, Whale of a Game, Rainin' Bitches, Frisco Cruiser Bus, BYU Fan Voting, Frisco is biased towards NDSU

Differential equations with Nikita Barbanov was THE way to go. He was really in to chess and allegedly was on the Soviet National basketball team. But it was hard to get him to tell stories because he would get really amped about lecturing and I've never seen anyone write on a chalk board as fast as he could. And open notes tests were a big help for me haha.

You guys make me happy I was a Communications major.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯