Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

  1. #51

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Clark Merkel was a grad student/instructor for my ME 210 Numerical Methods/Modeling class. Very gifted at explaining complex things in a simple way. Made a painful workload class tolerable.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

    “I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

  2. #52

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Eric & Cheryl Devuyst in the AgEcon department (now at Oklahoma State). Both very good instructors. Eric has a twisted sense of humor. I remember taking a lab test where we had to show him our results on the computer. He would delete what was wrong and say keep working until you got it right and could leave. He looks thru my work and wordlessly deletes the entire document and walks away. I sit there for a second dumbfounded at how I could screw up that bad (actually everything was right) when I look up and he’s laughing at my reaction. The final exam in one of his classes was held at the Turf.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    23,595
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Professor Frink borderline changed my life. Last I heard he was teaching in Springfield

    14X FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Since 1960, NDSU has more Football Championships than any team in the NFL , D1A, D1AA, D2 or D3
    1965-1968-1969-1983-1985-1986-1988-1990-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2017

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,693

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Fred Taylor, better known as "AB" Taylor, he was the chairman of the Ag Econ Dept. He was known as "AB" because if you went to class you got an A, if you skipped class you got a B. The guy never gave out a lower grade than that.
    Hey UND: 34-9

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    17,280

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Fred Taylor, better known as "AB" Taylor, he was the chairman of the Ag Econ Dept. He was known as "AB" because if you went to class you got an A, if you skipped class you got a B. The guy never gave out a lower grade than that.
    I knew there was a reason Gully got all B's.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

    Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    I'm on a boat!
    Posts
    9,091

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Fred Taylor, better known as "AB" Taylor, he was the chairman of the Ag Econ Dept. He was known as "AB" because if you went to class you got an A, if you skipped class you got a B. The guy never gave out a lower grade than that.
    Not true. There was that guy who called him AB during class. Yes, he got a C.
    Rock

    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin


  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    The Panhandle, FL
    Posts
    2,435

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Patty Corwin - Soc 101. Wonderful lady!
    Pete Simonson - Runs Simonson Lumber, teaches a class or two every semester I think.
    Ruin Tian(sp?) - Teaches Finance. Love her.
    College of Business Alumnus

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    2,131

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Patty Corwin - Soc 101. Wonderful lady!
    Pete Simonson - Runs Simonson Lumber, teaches a class or two every semester I think.
    Ruin Tian(sp?) - Teaches Finance. Love her.
    If Tian is the woman I am thinking of, I am not a fan. I had to miss a test and wasn't able to study for because I was helping sandbag my parents house and she wouldn't excuse it.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    NYC and Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    18,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    I pretty much liked all my computer science professors but it's been so long that most of them have died or retired. Let's see, cancer got both Perrizo (who managed to teach me assembly language) and Paul Juell, my advisor. D. Bruce Erickson died way too young too. Others have retired like Mark Pavicik - cripes he looked like he was 12 when he started and was very smart. Bob Gammill - I took a graduate level graphics course from him and heard about these things like email and the internet before they were cool - I still remember him talking about the future of computer displays. John Martin (reminded me of Mr. Rogers - last time I saw him, we were on the same flight to London back in 1999.) Brian Slator is still teaching but then he was a young punk who started teaching the same year I finally graduated (he quoted from Cool Hand Luke his first class), Ken Magel was the chair of the department (I think) my first year. Vasant Ubhuya - actually, I'm not sure I ever took a class from me unless it was Discrete Mathematics for CS but most of my friends did. I gotta be missing some.

    Outside of CS, Monsieur Homan tried to teach me French (hilariously) and Professor Andreini was great at Latin and classical studies.

    People who teach at universities are generally curious about the world around them (although sometimes their focus is narrow) and that curiosity makes them interesting to be around.
    Get your entries into the Bisonville dictionary: http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/dictionary

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Hennepin County, Lake County
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

    Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I pretty much liked all my computer science professors but it's been so long that most of them have died or retired. Let's see, cancer got both Perrizo (who managed to teach me assembly language) and Paul Juell, my advisor. D. Bruce Erickson died way too young too. Others have retired like Mark Pavicik - cripes he looked like he was 12 when he started and was very smart. Bob Gammill - I took a graduate level graphics course from him and heard about these things like email and the internet before they were cool - I still remember him talking about the future of computer displays. John Martin (reminded me of Mr. Rogers - last time I saw him, we were on the same flight to London back in 1999.) Brian Slator is still teaching but then he was a young punk who started teaching the same year I finally graduated (he quoted from Cool Hand Luke his first class), Ken Magel was the chair of the department (I think) my first year. Vasant Ubhuya - actually, I'm not sure I ever took a class from me unless it was Discrete Mathematics for CS but most of my friends did. I gotta be missing some.

    Outside of CS, Monsieur Homan tried to teach me French (hilariously) and Professor Andreini was great at Latin and classical studies.

    People who teach at universities are generally curious about the world around them (although sometimes their focus is narrow) and that curiosity makes them interesting to be around.
    Sounds like you were not far behind me in CS. John Martin was my advisor. An introvert to be sure. Bob Gammil was a gas and a dual appointment in CS and EEE at the time I was there. I also took that 528 Computer Graphics course. He was my fav and he had me slotted in to HP in Fort Collins. On the very day I passed my phone interview and accepted the invite to interview in person I came home to find that my wife (PhD in Clinical Psych) had just accepted a position in Minne. Tough phone call the next day to withdraw my application.

    Tried real hard to get Vasant Ubhaya to attend an off campus party with a group of us and nearly succeeded. He is the one who taught me assembler for the IBM 360. It took half of that quarter for me to understand that he was not talking about the “bad” machine but rather the “bare” machine. He also taught the Discrete Mathematics course when I took it. Thankfully I was much more accustomed to Indian accents by then or whew! Would I have been lost. Sadly, still no luck luring him to one of those parties. I think he would have been great fun. Really wanted to see what dance moves he could bust out.

    Don’t know about you but for me those were just great years. I was a bit older than average, living off campus and thus disconnected from typical student life, and working full time concurrently. I wouldn’t trade it for anything and while I did not love all of my professors I surely admired most all of them.

    Another who deserves a shout out is Len Shapiro. He was C Sci chair during my tenure. Fabulous teacher and likely either he or Gammil would have been my choice for advisor had I chosen to pursue a doctorate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •