Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Another who deserves a shout out is Len Shapiro. He was C Sci chair during my tenure. Fabulous teacher and likely either he or Gammil would have been my choice for advisor had I chosen to pursue a doctorate.
    Man, I forgot about Shapiro. I liked him too. And, yeah, when I saw Martin and his family at MSP, I decided not to say hi just because he seemed like somebody who valued his privacy. They were great years (met the future wife, for one) - just wish I hadn't been working full time+ so I could have really buckled down. Then again, things worked out awesomely and almost every day since graduation has seemed like paid vacation, plus I get more than 5 hours of sleep a night and never go to bed hungry.

My parents, btw, were college friends of Val Tareski (RIP) who my engineering buddies made sound like some kind of boogie man (at least when they were freshmen.) He visited us in Mandan when I was a teenager and made us all chili.

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

On a different note from all of my engineering and math professors, many of whom were great, I'll submit one from my extra curricular activities:

Playing in Dr. Patnode's jazz band was one of my favorite music experiences. We weren't the audition band, so its not like we were going to be standouts, but he made it fun and got us to sound ok at least.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

My parents, btw, were college friends of Val Tareski (RIP) who my engineering buddies made sound like some kind of boogie man (at least when they were freshmen.) He visited us in Mandan when I was a teenager and made us all chili.
    I started out as a EE before switching to CS and if that is who I think it is he was my EE advisor. Also taught the intro EE class (basically FORTRAN programming). I was older than average and he took license to badger me in class a little extra. We developed a nice back and forth though over the course of the quarter and I came to enjoy it.

Paul Juell was another CS faculty member who was quite impactful for me. I believe he too has passed some time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    If Tian is the woman I am thinking of, I am not a fan. I had to miss a test and wasn't able to study for because I was helping sandbag my parents house and she wouldn't excuse it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Little Chinese woman?

Perhaps you softened her up for me. When I took Fixed Income Securities, I did next to none of the homework, and got A's/B's on the tests. After I crunched the numbers after the final, I plead my case to get my grade up to a C so I could graduate. She let me correct some project I dropped some points on. When I went to her office to show her my updated project, I was really nervous. She looked over my work and said, "It isss OhhKAY! You awww going to gwaduate! Yooou can stop shaking now!"
    College of Business Alumnus

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Agreed. The Arch history class was always interesting especially since he took most of the photos of the buildings he was showing us. My two favorite things from him were:

Cathedrals in Europe have a "Jesus Christ" affect. Not that they are overly religious, but when you walk in and look up you say, "Jesus Christ!"

The Fargodome was being built at time and he called it the Far-ga-da-me which rhymes with lobotomy which is what the architects who designed the thing must have had

My only complaint about his class is he would shut off the lights to show the slides and the next thing I would remember was him turning on the lights at the end of class.

Rik Ekstrom was the other architecture professor I liked because he actually understood the value of being involved in activities outside the program. None of the other professors did.

I enjoyed Patty Corwin. Her Soc 101 class was a blast! It appears she's still there. I also had a history class with Larry Peterson. He was funny and a little nuts.
    Yeah Ron was great. I still use that "Jesus Christ Affect" line to this day.

Do you remember that Chicago trip during our 3rd year? If you recall, we all had stuff that was due late Wednesday and we were to meet in Moline, Illinois at the John Deere building at 9am on Thursday. I actually rode to and from Chicago with Ron and one other guy. We spent the night taking detours around northern and eastern Iowa to look at many lesser known Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan buildings in the middle of nowhere. I remember getting out of the car at around 3am to look at a FLW home in a small town. We were looking at some awesome intricate detailing whispering to each other when the lights went on in the house and we could hear some scurrying around. We quickly hightailed it away from there. I also remember getting a close look from a cop at around midnight in Waterloo because we were looking at a LS bank for a bit too long. Funny night. Had breakfast at some wonderful diner that he knew of in Rock Island waiting for the sun to come up.

I was super tired but Ron still had a ton of energy when we arrived at Saarinen's JD HQ.
    Insert something clever here...

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I had Val Smith for freshman algebra. We called her JB for Jerry Burns, who was the Vikings coach at the time. She looked just like him.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I pretty much liked all my computer science professors but it's been so long that most of them have died or retired. Let's see, cancer got both Perrizo (who managed to teach me assembly language) and Paul Juell, my advisor. D. Bruce Erickson died way too young too. Others have retired like Mark Pavicik - cripes he looked like he was 12 when he started and was very smart. Bob Gammill - I took a graduate level graphics course from him and heard about these things like email and the internet before they were cool - I still remember him talking about the future of computer displays. John Martin (reminded me of Mr. Rogers - last time I saw him, we were on the same flight to London back in 1999.) Brian Slator is still teaching but then he was a young punk who started teaching the same year I finally graduated (he quoted from Cool Hand Luke his first class), Ken Magel was the chair of the department (I think) my first year. Vasant Ubhuya - actually, I'm not sure I ever took a class from me unless it was Discrete Mathematics for CS but most of my friends did. I gotta be missing some.

Outside of CS, Monsieur Homan tried to teach me French (hilariously) and Professor Andreini was great at Latin and classical studies.

People who teach at universities are generally curious about the world around them (although sometimes their focus is narrow) and that curiosity makes them interesting to be around.
    I got to know Bruce and Joy Erickson somewhat. Bruce played euphonium in the NDSU band most of the years he was there, and I played alongside of him for one of those(and a row in front of him for a few others. Also took discrete math from him as I was deciding to switch from CS to music. And Joy was the business manager for the Department of Fine Arts.

Best music professors I had were Wayne Dorothy, Mark Watkins, Kyle Mack and Andy Froelich. Like everyone else who went through the program, I wish I had paid better attention in Froelich's theory 2 class. Dorothy was a fantastic rehearsal technician, but impolitic enough that it cost him tenure(was denied tenure, not removed from tenure). The department was lesser for the decision. Watkins left at the same time; unrelated to the Dorothy situation, but he was happier to be going after he learned of it.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Yeah Ron was great. I still use that "Jesus Christ Affect" line to this day.

Do you remember that Chicago trip during our 3rd year? If you recall, we all had stuff that was due late Wednesday and we were to meet in Moline, Illinois at the John Deere building at 9am on Thursday. I actually rode to and from Chicago with Ron and one other guy. We spent the night taking detours around northern and eastern Iowa to look at many lesser known Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan buildings in the middle of nowhere. I remember getting out of the car at around 3am to look at a FLW home in a small town. We were looking at some awesome intricate detailing whispering to each other when the lights went on in the house and we could hear some scurrying around. We quickly hightailed it away from there. I also remember getting a close look from a cop at around midnight in Waterloo because we were looking at a LS bank for a bit too long. Funny night. Had breakfast at some wonderful diner that he knew of in Rock Island waiting for the sun to come up.

I was super tired but Ron still had a ton of energy when we arrived at Saarinen's JD HQ.
    Me too!

I don't remember why but I didn't do the Chicago trip. I must have had a personal conflict. I was the anti architecture student so I'm sure it helped to black ball me even more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mrs Glatt. She had some JUGS. Back in the day. Lol
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I got to know Bruce and Joy Erickson somewhat. Bruce played euphonium in the NDSU band most of the years he was there, and I played alongside of him for one of those(and a row in front of him for a few others. Also took discrete math from him as I was deciding to switch from CS to music. And Joy was the business manager for the Department of Fine Arts.

Best music professors I had were Wayne Dorothy, Mark Watkins, Kyle Mack and Andy Froelich. Like everyone else who went through the program, I wish I had paid better attention in Froelich's theory 2 class. Dorothy was a fantastic rehearsal technician, but impolitic enough that it cost him tenure(was denied tenure, not removed from tenure). The department was lesser for the decision. Watkins left at the same time; unrelated to the Dorothy situation, but he was happier to be going after he learned of it.
    I played in Dr. Mack's Jazz band briefly, too (I wasn't nearly good enough for it, but they were short on my instrument that year). He was great as well. "Play well tonight, folks, my future ex might be in the audience." (this was before he was married) Someone was messing around during rehearsal once, "You can do that when you are better than me." Just a fantastic musician as well.