Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Default Re: Who Was Your Favorite Professor at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I pretty much liked all my computer science professors but it's been so long that most of them have died or retired. Let's see, cancer got both Perrizo (who managed to teach me assembly language) and Paul Juell, my advisor. D. Bruce Erickson died way too young too. Others have retired like Mark Pavicik - cripes he looked like he was 12 when he started and was very smart. Bob Gammill - I took a graduate level graphics course from him and heard about these things like email and the internet before they were cool - I still remember him talking about the future of computer displays. John Martin (reminded me of Mr. Rogers - last time I saw him, we were on the same flight to London back in 1999.) Brian Slator is still teaching but then he was a young punk who started teaching the same year I finally graduated (he quoted from Cool Hand Luke his first class), Ken Magel was the chair of the department (I think) my first year. Vasant Ubhuya - actually, I'm not sure I ever took a class from me unless it was Discrete Mathematics for CS but most of my friends did. I gotta be missing some.

Outside of CS, Monsieur Homan tried to teach me French (hilariously) and Professor Andreini was great at Latin and classical studies.

People who teach at universities are generally curious about the world around them (although sometimes their focus is narrow) and that curiosity makes them interesting to be around.
    I am reminded about D. Bruce Erickson's discrete math class every time I think about my 3.98 GPA.

I had a class on computer architecture from Gammill that was half CS and half EE. He told lots of jokes that made one half of the class laugh, but not the other. I think they were mostly about why Linux was better than Windows.

On the EE side, my favorite was Floyd Patterson.

Fred Haring... I was never all that great in math, but for some reason, after taking his classes things started to click, and math was never an issue after that. He saved my collegiate career!!!!

Clark Merkle(not sure of spelling) who was a grad student in Mechanical Engineering.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

I would pick Allan Ashworth (geosciences) as my favorite. He had a good sense of humor, interesting lectures and wasn't afraid of wearing a pink cap.

I'm the one almost crouching on one knee. It's hard to believe that's 29 years ago and the last time I went a week without bathing or shaving. We all smelled like campfire smoke and B.O. at the end of that trip since the only campground with any running water had ice cold water for showers.

It's OK to not be OK.

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Gil Nelson, math "Row Reduced Echelon Form". The day before Thanksgiving, "I seem to have run out of chalk, so why don't you guys get the hell out of here"

Quote Originally Posted by LikeMothers View Post
    Gil Nelson, math "Row Reduced Echelon Form". The day before Thanksgiving, "I seem to have run out of chalk, so why don't you guys get the hell out of here"
    Gil Nelson was interesting. He would blow his nose in his hanky, put it in his pocket and later pull it out and clean his glasses.

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Mrs Glatt. She had some JUGS. Back in the day. Lol
    I had her for Intermediate accounting... Good teacher and yea about what you said.

NDSU will lose a legend at the end of this year...taking the early buyout. sad NDSU cant keep good professors.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    NDSU will lose a legend at the end of this year...taking the early buyout. sad NDSU cant keep good professors.
    Good God. Like there is no way a new young replacement can't do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Good God. Like there is no way a new young replacement can't do the job?

unfortunately in academia, seniority helps for getting on various boards does help NDSU.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?