Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delta: Fargo to SLC

Bison_Dan Guest

Default Re: Delta: Fargo to SLC

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII

Don't feel bad for SDSU as Sioux Falls is just 53 miles away and has better airlift than Fargo anyway. Delta already is in Sioux Falls offering direct flights to Cincinatti and now Salt Lake City.
    Yea I'm sure everyone loves to drive 50 miles instead of getting off the plane and walking over to the DOME! Keep telling yourself that having a 2 cent airport in Brookings is the way it should be.

I'm not saying it should be, but the reality of having a state university in a town of 19,000. The drive from the airport in Sioux Falls to Brookings is 45 minutes which is less than many big city airports commutes to a chosen destination.

I'd say a drive of less than 60 miles is pretty much a non-factor. Having a drive less than two miles is just a bonus.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII

Don't feel bad for SDSU as Sioux Falls is just 53 miles away and has better airlift than Fargo anyway. Delta already is in Sioux Falls offering direct flights to Cincinatti and now Salt Lake City.
    It's true that SF has somewhat better air services than Fargo, but the difference is that the Fargo airport is almost adjacent to the Fargodome, the NDSU campus, numerous bars and restaurants, North Fargo's #1 commercial strip (19th Ave. North), and three hotels, two of them which are new. This is added convenience, and a better scenario than hitching a bus ride 50 miles to Brookings. A team like Portland State or Sac State can take a flight to SLC, Vegas or Denver and connect to Fargo, and immediately take a shuttle to their hotel, which would be accross the street from the Fargodome, and within walking distance to almost 2 dozen bars and restaurants.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

buffalobill Guest

Delta Dawn what's that team EWE have onboard! Could it be a faded GRIZ from days gone by! * ;D ;D ;D

NanoBison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BisBison

I think they are more worried about the cost rather than the time commitment. Those two west coast schools don't have the $$ in their athletic departments to fly their teams. Hopefully, with the addition of Delta competition will drive down the ticket prices.

That begs the question, if they don't have the $$ in their academic budget, what are they doing at the DI level? Truthfully though, I heard the guy from Sac State said it was MUCH TOO LONG of a flight to get to Fargo. The prices I mainly saw were $335 round trip which is pretty good. Compared to the $635 I just paid from Fargo to San Jose.
    Isn't the guy from Sac State originally from UND somehow?

I don't know, I just think we are a much better fit for BigSky than some of the current members in that conference. The new flights should help our case too.

buffalobill Guest

The AD from Sac State is Terry Wanless. A former UND AD who crossed sabres with Engelstad and guess who went packin'. He also applied, interviewed, but didn't make the final 3 for the AD's job at NDSU. It is hard to say but he probably doesn't have to much love for the whole Midwest thing. What can you expect from a guy who was pushed out at UND and not hired at NDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by NanoBison

That begs the question, if they don't have the $$ in their academic budget, what are they doing at the DI level? Truthfully though, I heard the guy from Sac State said it was MUCH TOO LONG of a flight to get to Fargo. The prices I mainly saw were $335 round trip which is pretty good. Compared to the $635 I just paid from Fargo to San Jose.
    Isn't the guy from Sac State originally from UND somehow?

I don't know, I just think we are a much better fit for BigSky than some of the current members in that conference. The new flights should help our case too.
    Terry Wanless stated it was somewhere around 8-9 hours to fly to the Dakotas from Sac . One way.

buffalobill Guest

It is probably 6 to 6 1/2 eastbound losing two hours and 4 to 4 1/2 westbound gaining two hours. Wanless probably uses the worst possible spin but that is no surprise. Charters may cost more in dollars but would be much more time efficient. That would apply more specifically to FB though.

Maybe Wanless wanted to stop in GF to visit the Red Pepper?